Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

International Astronomy Show 2019

FLO

I love the colour combo

My own personal concern I am not allowed anything above 5 - 6kg and I think the StellaMira would be over my medical allowance.

That means I have to spend on something else 😁

Edited by Skyline

1 hour ago, Robny said:

For those who make it out with their cards intact should write a tutorial on how to do so, because as yet I've not managed it.

I even tried taken my wife this time and that never worked either.....

No, I couldn't find anyone who would swap mine for a Mesu 200 either...

James

• Haha 6

Really enjoyable show.I was fortunate because I had moored my canal boat at Braunston Marina (home base) and then it was just a 15/20 minute drive to the show.

I need to thank @Helen - wonderful welsh cakes - Pam really enjoyed them as well.

Meet so many friends which I knew from the SGL star parties plus @Lockie who was doing a video.

So good to be able to walk around without being crushed. The displays were brilliant and the scopes and mounts at FLO were mouth watering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

I love the colour combo

My own personal concern I am not allowed anything above 5 - 6kg and I think the StellaMira would be over my medical allowance.

That means I have to spend on something else 😁

You never now, there might be a slightly smaller version in the pipeline. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

I’m amazed at how much more they are up to than just shifting stock - good on them. Steve is being really quite visionary, not to mention brave, with his innovations. I wish them luck and success. I’ll be doing my bit to ensure that!

I was taught that a successful business:

1. Gives their customers what they want, and,

2. Never stands still.

Speaking to Steve on Saturday, he certainly gets this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, tomato said:

2. Never stands still.

Yep! And with the quality of the guys In Flo's team, there will be no chance of steps too far. In  House communication will ensure feet will stay firmly on the ground.

Edited by barkis

9 hours ago, FLO said:

A photo of the StellaMira 104 ED2 Triplet refractor: 

stellamira_104_ed2_triplet_sgl.jpg.2dd6832e7cd90e5088bdd3cf27b1b1af.jpg

I was looking at that handle thinking it looked a bit uncomfortable until I realised it’s a picatinny/weaver rail for a rdf- nice touch 👌 

I wondered why there weren't many harmonic drive mounts about. I guess price and maybe torque ripple- though with decent control that shouldn’t really be an issue? And now the Chinese are making decent quality ones since the patent expired they seem ideal 👍 Surely you’d want to balance it though- they’re backdriveable and the motor’s going to be taking the load? 

Edited by markse68

15 hours ago, tomato said:

2. Never stands still.

Thank-you 🙂 

Because I started FLO (back in 2006!) and am often the one posting at SGL I am usually credited for FLO's successes. This is nice but FLO is now a 'company' of ten people. My nine colleagues all have strengths that I don't so together we can handle projects that only a few years ago would have been too large. More often than not the credit belongs to my colleagues. Our stall at IAS is a good recent example. It was organised by Grant, with help from Ian, James and Rob. And while we were at IAS FLO's unsung heroes Martin, Lisa, Ann & Katie stayed behind to ensure FLO remained open for her customers (FLO's competitors at IAS were closed). 

There was a moment early Friday when I commented to someone visiting our stall about how I have never known a year like this one where so much has happened and so many projects are in progress. Then it really struck me how true this was! How far we had come as a company. I glanced across at my colleagues who were all busy chatting to visitors or demonstrating something or other. It was emotional. For a moment I couldn't speak. I excused myself saying my throat was dry. I am truly a fortunate person. 

Steve 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FLO said:

There was a moment early Friday when I commented to someone visiting our stall about how I have never known a year like this one where so much has happened and so many projects are in progress. Then it really struck me how true this was! How far we had come as a company. I glanced across at my colleagues who were all busy chatting to visitors or demonstrating something or other. It was emotional. For a moment I couldn't speak. I excused myself saying my throat was dry. I am truly a fortunate person. 

Steve 

Sometimes you just need to salute a man :icon_salut: Well deserved success for all involved, and more to come I'm sure! 

• Thanks 1

On 19/11/2019 at 19:40, Mark at Beaufort said:

Well done Chris a very enjoyable video covering the whole show. Good to meet you and chat at last.

Thanks Mark, and likewise! Also I have to say you have one of the best hand shakes I've ever encountered! Also great story about how you travelled to the show. That will tale some beating! :D 

• Like 1