Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

International Astronomy Show 2019

FLO

Why the silence??!! Surely FLOIKI (should that be pronounced floykey?!) would want us all to spread the word(s) far and wide regarding the various projects that they were ‘unveiling’ at IAS? I’m amazed at how much more they are up to than just shifting stock - good on them. Steve is being really quite visionary, not to mention brave, with his innovations. I wish them luck and success. I’ll be doing my bit to ensure that!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lockie said:

Yes speaking to Steve, FLO are launching their own brand of scopes - Stella Mira ! The Apo on display was a 104mm f6.25 Triplet with not one but two ED elements! It's in a lovely black and red livery and of course very nice CNC machining inc a carry handle :) I was impressed. There is more but I can't remember what I'm allowed to say?

This reminds me of another branded scope which is on the market already. 

It would be interesting how much the costs differs between the two. 

I look forward to FLO's new revelation. 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lockie said:

Yes speaking to Steve, FLO are launching their own brand of scopes - Stella Mira ! The Apo on display was a 104mm f6.25 Triplet with not one but two ED elements! It's in a lovely black and red livery and of course very nice CNC machining inc a carry handle :) I was impressed. There is more but I can't remember what I'm allowed to say?

Ah OK, so I had the size wrong in my mind.  So this would be similar (same optics?) as the Orion EON ED-X2 telescopes or the Omegon versions (I think Primaluce also did a version).  Naturally though it depends on the mechanicals.  I wonder whether they are all optically tested as well given the FLO relationship.  Should be a good replacement for the FLT98 that are no longer made?  

As for the rest, come on spill the beans! Not all of us got a chance to speak to everyone! ;) I need to prepare the finances...

• Like 1

Definitely some interesting projects and things to come from FLO 👍🏻

I’m sure the 104mm Stella Mira will also in the future come in a smaller aperture but can’t remember the exact size. 

Edited by Danjc

11 hours ago, Lockie said:

I was impressed. There is more but I can't remember what I'm allowed to say?

2 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Why the silence??!! Surely FLOIKI (should that be pronounced floykey?!) would want us all to spread the word(s) far and wide regarding the various projects that they were ‘unveiling’ at IAS? I’m amazed at how much more they are up to than just shifting stock - good on them. Steve is being really quite visionary, not to mention brave, with his innovations. I wish them luck and success. I’ll be doing my bit to ensure that!

2 hours ago, fwm891 said:

@PhotoGav Couldn't agree more. Collared Steve for other things early Friday but got talking about the various projects in the pipeline. Superb. Way beyond a 'retailer'. My bank manager might disagree...

Thank-you for the kind comments. Please accept my apologies for not posting something sooner. It was very busy on the Ikarus Imaging stall (I have lost my voice!). For the majority of exhibitors this year's IAS was a resounding success. The organisers will be pleased I am sure. 

Our main reason for attending as Ikarus Imaging was to show Ian King's customers he is alive and well at FLO (not buried somewhere in my garden!). What he achieved at IKI has not been watered down or diminished in any way. We were pleased and relieved to hear the positive encouraging comments from IKI customers at IAS. Thank-you, from both of us 🙂 

Ikarus Imaging aside, at IAS we revealed a new project, the first of a new range of telescopes and a new (to the UK) range of mounts that uses harmonic drive motors (from the robotics industry). 

When fully recovered (typing this Sunday, from home) I will post details of all three but here's a quick summary. 

Ikarus Imaging 'IKI' displayed a high-end imaging rig that will be installed at the ICastronomy observatory installation in deepest darkest Spain (that is why they, Colin & David, were with us on our stall). Data from the IKI remote observatory will be available to all at SGL. We will keep you updated regarding its progress. 

The telescope used there will be the first of a new series of StellaMira refractors manufactured for us by LongPerng in Taiwan. The one shown at IAS was a 104mm f6.25 'triplet' with an optical design that includes two ED elements (FPL53 & FPL51). Colour correction is very good! Our first delivery of finished telescopes should be arriving around the middle of next month. Other models are in the pipeline. 

The new mount revealed at IAS was a Rainbow Astro RST135 with harmonic drive. It is one of a series of mounts from Rainbow Astro that attracted a lot of attention (not only from visitors but exhibitors too!). Quiet, powerful (no need for counterweights!) and very compact. It is quite remarkable. 

Will post much more about all three projects soon 🙂 

We also had the new Rowan AZ100 Alt-Az mount setup. Rowan Engineering themselves were also displaying one on their stall (opposite us) so there was no shortage of info available. 

We planned to reveal some accessories from another new (to the UK) brand but unfortunately they didn't arrive in time. We will launch them here at SGL as soon as they do.

Also want to say a quick thank-you to my colleagues. It was hard work but fun. You really are the best 🤗 

Steve 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, johninderby said:

A question for Steve.

Any idea on availability of the dual fit saddle for the Rowan AZ100?

New dual-fit saddles were fitted to the AZ100 mounts displayed at IAS so they will be available soon 🙂 

• Like 1

Great to catch up with people from all astronomy groups I’m involved with and to see some awesome kit! 

Ian King and FLO are going to be quite a formidable alliance! 

And I only spent £2.50 on a coffee 👏

• Like 1

I've often pondered on the idea of a harmonic drive powering a mount and how one might go about building such a beast.  Usually I come to the conclusion that I lack the necessary engineering skills.  I'm interested to see how the Rainbow mount behaves.  Describing it as a "weightless mount" (as per the linked web page) however reminds me of the motorbike advert describing it as having a "pointless ignition system" (it had electronic ignition) in not quite conveying the message the manufacturer might have intended :D

James

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Alan White said:

It was a great show, best one to date.
Paul Money was great at his talk and chatted after, thanks Paul.
Damian Peach was great as well, really interesting talk.

Bumped into @Helen, those Welsh Cakes looked grand, I should have said yes.
The AZ100 mount was stunning, see seperate post.

@Lockie shame I missed that hat and you, how did I miss that hat?

I was keeping my eyes peeled for you too, the venue wasn't that big, I don't know how we missed each other lol 

3 hours ago, Whirlwind said:

As for the rest, come on spill the beans! Not all of us got a chance to speak to everyone! ;) 

While chatting with Colin and Dave you were on our stall (they were with us) stood next to the new telescope 😉 

3 hours ago, Whirlwind said:

Ah OK, so I had the size wrong in my mind.  So this would be similar (same optics?) as the Orion EON ED-X2 telescopes or the Omegon versions (I think Primaluce also did a version).  Naturally though it depends on the mechanicals.  I wonder whether they are all optically tested as well given the FLO relationship. 

We are aware others have retailed the same/similar LongPerng design in other countries but I don't think it fair I comment on them 😇

Suffice to say we are working with Es Reid and LongPerng to ensure those wearing the StellaMira brand perform well for us and our customers 🙂 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FLO said:

While chatting with Colin and Dave you were on our stall (they were with us) stood next to the new telescope 😉 

"Chewed their ear off" might be a better way of putting it...🤣 , we did talk about the new 'scope briefly but didn't get chance to talk to anyone in detail about the specs; and I missed the chance to thank Ian for some assistance a month or so back.  Hence was interested in the specs but couldn't quite recall the aperture (got the 2 and the 4 mixed up).  I think it was mentioned that it was going to the Pixelastro site and you were going to use it as a tester for equipment but didn't realise the data would be made available?

32 minutes ago, FLO said:

We are aware others have retailed the same/similar LongPerng design in other countries but I don't think it fair I comment on them 😇

Suffice to say we are working with Es Reid and LongPerng to ensure those wearing the StellaMira brand perform well for us and our customers 🙂 

A large part of the design is in the mechanicals.  A great set of lens can still be limited by this.  It's good to hear that testers are involved - that would stand them above the other similar competitors.  I do like the handle though - it makes moving telescopes that much easier.

I didn't quite make it out of the show unscathed......

I'm taking delivery of a shiny new EQ6R-Pro on Friday and I also got a losemandy style dovetail bar and a power cable to run the EQ6R from my Pegasus power box from Tim Duke of Dew Control.

For those who make it out with their cards intact should write a tutorial on how to do so, because as yet I've not managed it.

I even tried taken my wife this time and that never worked either.....

😂😂

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, geordie85 said:

Absolutely gorgeous. Do you guys have a price in mind? 

We don't yet have an actual landed price so please forgive us if we don't reveal its retail price today. We will soon 🙂 

• Thanks 1