SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Cave Nebula HaRGB on dual Esprits

gorann

Friday and Saturday night were supposed to be clear, and the obsy roof was off and I was out getting everything ready - but in vain. Then on Sunday night, which had no great forecast (and I had to get up early on Monday), it was suddenly totally clear. The guiding suggested a modest seeing (RMS around 1"/pix) and  SQM was 21.0, which is ok but far from the best I get here. I used my dual rig on the the Mesu 200 with ASI1600 for Ha on the Esprit 100 (3.5 nm Baader Ha, 46 x 10 min, gain 139, offset 50, -20°C) and ASI071 for RGB on the Esprit 150 (85 x 5 min, gain 200, offset 30, -15°C). Ha mainly added to the red channel using lighten in PS and a bit Ha added as lum. Stacked in PI and the rest in PS. Totally 14.75 hours.

EDIT: reprossesed the image to emphasize the dark nebulosity floating araound

20191006 CaveNebRGB PS57smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 35

Excellent, Göran. 

3 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Steve! Fortunately most of it was done while I was asleep, except the processing.....

What? You can't do the processing in your sleep? 😉

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

You can stack in you're sleep :)

Very nice picture btw.

Thanks! Sleep stacking is a good idea, especially with the high number of subs produced by CMOS cameras.

• 4 weeks later...

Great target, done so well! It comes to something when I say this because I'm always being beaten up on the French forum for my high colour saturation but I might just ease the colour down a tad. However, another part of me likes it!

Olly

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Great target, done so well! It comes to something when I say this because I'm always being beaten up on the French forum for my high colour saturation but I might just ease the colour down a tad. However, another part of me likes it!

Olly

Thanks a lot Olly! I am not French so I may just keep the colours as they are - I also have a weakness for saturation. I wish we could make images with saturation and brightness sliders.........

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Olly! I am not French so I may just keep the colours as they are - I also have a weakness for saturation. I wish we could make images with saturation and brightness sliders.........

We can, can't we? Photoshop has both. Or do you mean that we could offer our audience a certain freedom to choose? Why not?

Olly