Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

This took quite a while (SH2-155)

alan4908

Due to the poor UK weather I hadn't been paying much attention to how my automated imaging set up was progressing with this target. So, I was a little surprised when I discovered that it had been very slowly capturing data of this target for the past 6 months........Anyway, here's the result of 32 hours integration time of my first attempt at the Cave nebula (SH2-155). 

The LRGB image below has an Ha blend into the L and Red channels and was taken with my Esprit 150.

Alan

1445638708_29.Finalfinal.thumb.jpg.d6e327939d0a5b9339523cd145e6ddb9.jpg

L: 20, R:13, G:23, B:15, x600s, Ha: 41x1800s, DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C.

• Like 9

Some audacious reds and blues there but if you have the signal you can flaunt it! I like the lower right part of the image best, I think, the dust having really fine modeling and the darkest parts being entirely unclipped. That's signal for you...

Olly

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Some audacious reds and blues there but if you have the signal you can flaunt it! I like the lower right part of the image best, I think, the dust having really fine modeling and the darkest parts being entirely unclipped. That's signal for you...

Olly

Thanks for the comment Olly. :happy11:

I was quite surprised about how much blue, presumably emanating from the blue reflection nebula, the object contained. In the renditions I have seen, I could only detect this weakly, so here I was attempting to emphasize its presence.  Overall, a very interesting object consisting of the emission, reflection and dark nebula - as you have pointed out above, the latter is very dark indeed.

Alan

Edited by alan4908