Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leave scope outside for. A few days

32 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi all has any one used a gizmo 365 cover? And if so are they any good ?.

FLO I have a 130pds on a eq5 what size would you recommend?.

many thanks 

Simon

You really need to ask a question direct on FLO's web site, you can't hope they may just read it here, I am sure they will advise.

Alan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alan potts said:

You really need to ask a question direct on FLO's web site, you can't hope they may just read it here, I am sure they will advise.

Alan

Hate the fact that you cant speak to them😡 . 9x out of 10 if I cant speak to shop I wont deal with them but as they run this great forum i dont mind making a exception .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hate the fact that you cant speak to them😡 . 9x out of 10 if I cant speak to shop I wont deal with them but as they run this great forum i dont mind making a exception .

That doesn't really matter to me as I am in Bulgaria, but they manage my purchases with good speed and are always on the ball, but I know what you mean.

Alan

• Like 1

Back to the original point.     TeleGizmo covers are very good.  I keep an OTA and mount out side for extended periods depending on forecasts. ( sometimes up to a week  )

No problems with waterproofness.  I tend to tie the base with a bungy  to stop dust being blown from the ground ( concrete slabs)  upwards and underneath.

One issue I have found is the weight.  They are quite substantial and can slightly alter focus and orientation of any components in the imaging chain if left to hang on them for a time, especially with wind.

I have been very happy with mine.   It probably will be useful in event of a nuclear strike.

• Thanks 1

I keep quite a substantial telescope outside 24 / 7 under a Telegizmos 365. I do, though tuck an electric pet-bed under it set on low (Most of the time) to keep dew / condensation at bay. I've not found it altering focus or orientation, but then my kit is on the end of a 3.7" R&P focuser.

• Thanks 1

I leave my 120EC, Moravian G2-8300+FW and my 10"Truss outside permanently under a waterproof breathable cover from ENS and a 365 Gizmo which I bought from FLO.

I had a bad experience with my first telegizmo as it leaked like a sieve thus the reason why I use two cover and then use a bungee strap wrapped around it, been keeping my equipment outside for a couple of years now and absolutely no problem with any of the equipment, in fact I think it is beneficial as no disruption to the optics and no cool down needed.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

Send them an email, they are very responsive. I don’t think I have ever not had a response within an hour during business hours 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

+1 for the BBQ cover!

+1 more, I opted for the egg chair cover for additional height, but in reality it was a bit too long - the one Anthonyexmouth posted looks much better.

That being said, I would have prefered a 365 cover, I have found some signs of condensation on the inside of the material which I dont like.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2019 at 15:09, Fieldsy said:

Just ordered my 365 cover £156 😞 , next time I speak to my bank I’m just going to add FLO and RVO on my bank account.🤪 

Woow 😞.  I think I purchased my shed for less than £156 (it was end of line so had great discount) . My scope lives in their . And so do I when need to retreat to my man cave 😀

• Haha 1

I contemplated getting one of the Telegizmo 365s, then one day whilst visiting a Halfords branch came across motorcycle covers, and thought they might be worth a try.  I’ve used the bike cover now at numerous dark sky sites, under wind rain and snow and they work a treat.  When covering up I secure the base of the cover to the ground with a number of strategically placed steel tent pegs, then a pair of bungee cords secured to alternate tripod legs ensures that the cover stays put.  Consider some of the weather we have had this summer, my kit has been out there through it all.  Of course all eyepiece glass has been removed, and all possible ingress points to the optics have been carefully covered and obviously the battery pack has been removed indoors.  I don’t remember the exact price but it was like £28 or something.

FEAD9C1B-76BF-4F66-918A-6364FEC9E136.jpeg

6E9E79AD-705E-4F28-AC48-8FAEA96E9427.jpeg

E00A9EA1-C358-444D-B2ED-2CBE230014F1.jpeg

Edited by DeepSkyMan
  • Like 1

I’m reading this thread in both excitement and fear. I’m currently not ‘allowed’ to build an observatory, so having to set up and break down every night.  Maybe stupidly, I hadn’t considered leaving my ‘temporary’ setup outside.  It would obviously be a game changer if the approaching dark skies could be enjoyed more often. 

But... what about theft? My gear isn’t as expensive as some on here of course, but if it was stolen I doubt my insurance would cover it when it transpires that I left it in the garden for a few weeks. Maybe I’m worrying unnecessarily?

• Like 1

Just now, jadcx said:

I’m reading this thread in both excitement and fear. I’m currently not ‘allowed’ to build an observatory, so having to set up and break down every night.  Maybe stupidly, I hadn’t considered leaving my ‘temporary’ setup outside.  It would obviously be a game changer if the approaching dark skies could be enjoyed more often. 

But... what about theft? My gear isn’t as expensive as some on here of course, but if it was stolen I doubt my insurance would cover it when it transpires that I left it in the garden for a few weeks. Maybe I’m worrying unnecessarily?

just fit a motion security light thats switchable. i've got one pointed at the pier in the garden. on nights its not being used the light is powered and anyone coming near it gets lit up like the stage at the O2. 

Also, lifes too short to worry too much. Since building my pier in the garden and having it setup 24/7 i'm much more inclined to whip the cover off if its clear for an hour. In the past it would have to be clear all night to make it worth setting up. 

I've got even lazier too, the pier is powered from the workshop at the end of the garden, 12v/240v and switched with an alexa enabled socket so i just shout at my poor echo device to turn the telescope on and the hardest job i have is taking the cover off. Im still working on a way to automate that. 

• Like 3