Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leave scope outside for. A few days

13 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

lifes too short to worry too much

You might be right about that.  The idea of just uncovering and powering up is very appealing. It might also make me sort out my RPi mount control.

1 hour ago, jadcx said:

I’m reading this thread in both excitement and fear. I’m currently not ‘allowed’ to build an observatory, so having to set up and break down every night.  Maybe stupidly, I hadn’t considered leaving my ‘temporary’ setup outside.  It would obviously be a game changer if the approaching dark skies could be enjoyed more often. 

But... what about theft? My gear isn’t as expensive as some on here of course, but if it was stolen I doubt my insurance would cover it when it transpires that I left it in the garden for a few weeks. Maybe I’m worrying unnecessarily?

Yeah I’m the same If the scope is already setup for a week or so and it’s just running ext lead out to it ( after the apps say it’s cloudy don’t bother )and then you look out and  it’s clear 🤯 , as for being stolen search light is great but chances are your awake until silly o’clock in the morning anyway🥴 .you could always use a shed door alarm so if the tripod gets moved it pulls the pin and a alarm sounds or if you don’t want them coming back a 💣 

Edited by Fieldsy

Here's a picture of mine with 2 covers over it, I am up and running in 5 minutes, I do fine tune my PA each time in case I have knocked it when removing the covers.

Covers.thumb.jpg.fa6c5f70e7d2f50a16b5cbb6de06f5a4.jpg

I have the 365 underneath as from experience I don't trust it to be 100% waterproof and then the taped seam one from ENS which is breathable and 100" waterproof, I have a smaller 365 and ENS cover for my smaller scopes.

This is a Link to one of the ENS covers that I use, the smaller ones are excellent value.

HTH

• Like 2