Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What scope on your AZ GTi?

A McEwan

Tak FC-100 including with a Herschel Wedge and Binoviewers on an AZGTi. The main issue is the tripod, put it on a decent one and it is very good. The SW pillar is also very useful.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Tak FC-100 including with a Herschel Wedge and Binoviewers on an AZGTi. The main issue is the tripod, put it on a decent one and it is very good. The SW pillar is also very useful.

That little pillar (I have a couple) is a £20 wonder for any small AZ mounts with refractors.

Edited by steveex2003
  • Like 2

I have an Altair starwave ED 80 on my star discovery mount. I also put my etx 125 (deforked of course). Love it. It’s my grab and go set up but I find I use it a lot. I don't have an az gti. 

Steve

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting thread, thank you. I would add a question regarding the AZGTi: I have read that you can use it via a hand controller as well? If so which one and how well does it work with it? I would like the option, if/when I get an AZGTi, as I doubt the wifi aspect being reliable, probably without foundation, but I have always been a belt and braces man! :grin:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

Interesting thread, thank you. I would add a question regarding the AZGTi: I have read that you can use it via a hand controller as well? If so which one and how well does it work with it? I would like the option, if/when I get an AZGTi, as I doubt the wifi aspect being reliable, probably without foundation, but I have always been a belt and braces man! :grin:

My thoughts too. I only have star discovery mount but this can be used WiFi too with the WiFi  dongle. I suspect that the handset will bethe same as the one on the star discovery mount. I am sure others will confirm if I’m right or wrong.

Steve 

31 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

I have the Synscan V4 Controller which works very well with the AZGTi, just note that you need a specific cable to connect them, the standard one doesn't do the job. I think this is the best one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-premium-handset-cables-for-sky-watcher-az-goto-az-gti-mounts.html

I think the V3.3 one works as well but it's worth checking. I bought mine off Astroboot.

I do find the physical buttons easier to work with than the phone. That said, with Android you can use Skysafari which opens up a whole new world of objects and flexibility.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have the Synscan V4 Controller

The link on FLO seems to be for a V5 controller? I think they are saying that is the one to use now. I agree the buttons are better, as I found out on a very cold night last winter, with my Celestron Evolution mount. I also found it very annoying when the app crashed and the tablet went to home screen, very bright! :angry2: I agree the app from Celestron is based on Skysafari and when it works, it is very decent. Just a shame the Evolution mount is not fit for a backpack! :rolleyes2:

7 hours ago, Stu said:

I think the V3.3 one works as well but it's worth checking. I bought mine off Astroboot.

I can confirm that the v3 handset also works, though at Stu says both handsets need the SynScan AZ cable and not the normal cable shipped with EQ mounts. 

The cheaper Skywatcher cable works as well but isn't as nice as the one linked to by Stu. 

I have used an ED100 on mine but it needed mounting on an HEQ5 tripod and pier extension which somewhat defeated the point of the mount. 

It is now restricted to a WO ZS66SD a humble ST102 or Lunt LS60DS. 

Ade

Edited by AdeKing
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, AdeKing said:

I can confirm that the v3 handset also works, though at Stu says both handsets need the SynScan AZ cable and not the normal cable shipped with EQ mounts. 

The cheaper Skywatcher cable works as well but isn't as nice as the one linked to by Stu. 

I have used an ED100 on mine but it needed mounting on an HEQ5 tripod and pier extension which somewhat defeated the point of the mount. 

It is now restricted to a WO ZS66SD a humble ST102 or Lunt LS60DS. 

Ade

Hello Ade. 

I have a V3 handset on my NEQ6 pro mount. Quite a few years old. It works fine. 

Do you swop the handset as you need with no issues with either mount between switching ??  ( if additional cable is purchased) 

I have visions of doing this but keep thinking my NEQ6 will throw a fit once I got back to it with the handset 

Call me Mr Pessimistic lol 

Regards

23 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

John 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello Ade. 

I have a V3 handset on my NEQ6 pro mount. Quite a few years old. It works fine. 

Do you swop the handset as you need with no issues with either mount between switching ??  ( if additional cable is purchased) 

I have visions of doing this but keep thinking my NEQ6 will throw a fit once I got back to it with the handset 

Call me Mr Pessimistic lol 

Regards

John 

I don't recall having any issues when swapping between the mounts. 

I've flashed the handset with the latest firmware and it just asks if the mount (AZ Gti) is in Alt AZ or EQ mode then onto the normal setup. 

There are extra alignment options in the menu of the handset such as doing a 1 star align on the Sun which I think disappear when it's plugged into the EQ5, but I'd have to check. 

If I get chance I'll try it for you at the weekend. 

Always good to be cautious. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ade. 

Firmware  updates are not my forte and my handset is behind the times so to speak. 

This is putting me off using it on my GTI. 

The wifi works ok with my phone and I pad. 

Want to avoid any SNAFU’s at all costs 😥😥

john