Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep25_banner.thumb.jpg.9e57eee22cad68fd6b67a87befeaa79b.jpg

I have recently bought a Orion Starshoot Autoguider. I downloaded phd 2, eqmod and ascom stuff. After a small research I found out my mount (exos 2 gt) doesn't support computer acces without firmware upgrade and fancy cables but I have the st4 port so it shouldn't be a problem. In phd I choose camera as Starshoot Autoguider and mount On-Camera. Aux mount and AO are both none. My wiring is one cable to pc from camera and another to st4 port from camera. When I started looping I selected the star with no problem. I choosed the one star alignment option from my hand controller and after centering the Archturus in the middle of view I pressed ok and it was successfull. I started guiding and after a while I get the error: RA calibration failed star didn't move enough.

You need to guide on a small star something to do with the centroid which I don't udnerstand.   Check in settings that RA is actually switched on.  

Normally you get that notification when the calibration fails, so are you sure you had actually started guiding.

Guiding is a minefield, probably needs some-one more technical than me to give better advice.

Carole 

You didn't mention entering your guidescope focal length and guidecam pixel size  into PHD2.? 

Everything else you said is correct. 

If you have entered focal length and pixel size:

The cable from the camera to the mount is called a ST-4 cable, and they are notoriously unreliable. 

In the PHD2 Tools menu, go to Manual Guide. 

Set the size to 5000 and then try moving the mount with the NSEW buttons in Manual Guide while watching the selected star in the guidescope display. 

You may find it doesn't move in one or all directions, or moves in the wrong direction ! 

Michael 

Are you trying to guide or do a star alignment as seems from the text you're trying to do both at the same time..1st thing to do is polar align, then star align..then guide.. I take it you're on the calibration step in phd2..it's best to take the slack out of the gears just beforehand so pressing north on the manual guide until the star moves, then calibrate..

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

Thank you for all the responses I sent my mount to someone who mastered at astrophotpgraphy and he adjusted the backlash and I'm good now.

Clear skies.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I would like to use my QHY5L-II with my OAG. However, it seems like even at 2x Binning its not able to see stars. I've used Dark library, but no use even then
      Any help will be appreciated.
    • By crossingsymmetry
      Greetings everyone.
      I recently scored a great deal on facebook marketplace and bought Skywatcher Skymax 180 mm Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope (f/15) with EQ6R-pro mount. I understand that long focal length telescopes are more suitable for planetary imaging. However, as I am tight on budget, I would like to use the same scope for deep-sky astrophotography. I have Canon Rebel T5 DSLR camera that I am using for taking images. Without autoguiding and a decent polar alignment, I can get ~30 seconds long shots without any star trailing, but that's not sufficient for imaging objects like M51. I would like to be able to integrate longer, say few minutes, thus would like to purchase an autoguider.  Here are some specific questions I have.
      1). The telescope comes with an 8 x 50 straight-through finder.  If I were to use it as a guidescope, what type of image integration time can I expect? Has anyone done autoguiding for f/15 scope with an 8x50 or other finderscopes?
      2). If the integration time will be an issue with the 8x50 finder scope, I am open to purchasing an off-axis-guider. However, considering the narrow field-of-view of Mak-180 telescope, I am concerned about not having enough photons from guidestar for autoguiding. For instance, with my DSLR camera, I need to integrate 20-30 seconds to see the nearby stars in M51. What type of OAG and camera would I need to autoguide with my scope? Are there affordable cameras (~$200) that would do the job for me? Would ASI120MM Mini Monochrome (~$150) do the job? What about OAG?
      I plan to use phd2 software for autoguiding rather than relying on the build-in guide port on the mount.  Instead of integrating for hours, I am planning to do DSS stacking of few mintues long multiple shots, hopefully this will put less strict requirements on the autoguider.
      In case this information is relevant: with my current setup, I have no issue pointing my scope to a desired deep-sky object, track the object within the field-of-view of my DSLR camera for hours using the mechnical tracking of the EQ6 mount. For instance following is a single raw image of Ring nebula taken with 30 seconds shot.  But it is not enough for generating high-quality images. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
      Jay

• By Alex the great
      Hello everybody on this community, very happy I recently joined stargazers lounge.com
      Last November I was able to modify my EQ5 mount via shoestring astronomy GPUSB (ST4 mount-USB laptop, my guiding camera is connected to the laptop by USB and PHD2 as guiding software) so I can autoguide it for long periods 6 minutes and more, I was really happy that this project was achieved and now I can get more details out of deep sky objects.
      My question is how can I go GOTO with this set up, trying to find objects to image is really time demanding without GOTO, and my goal is to take advantage of time to get those photons.
      I installed already ASCOM but I didn't connect with the USB connection (I think only work with serials cable)
      Thanks in advance for your valuable comments
    • By astrosathya
      I connect my mount to PHD2 using ASCOM and most nights I have the error "Star did not move enough" as well as "Suspicious blah blah, axis may not be perpendicular". This does not happen when I connect the mount via ST4 cable. I read somewhere that I can do a Calibration Sanity Check in PHD2. I am however unable to find that function in the software. Is it some pop up feature or does it have a location in the settings/brain icon?
      Any help will be highly appreciated.
    • By Dinglem
      For sale Orion autoguider package in excelent condition £200 delivered.
      Included in box:-
      Orion StarShoot autoguider
      Orion 50mm Guide Scope
      USB2 cable
      RJ11 cable
      Software disc

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.