Narrowband

To make my eq5 go-to an autoguide

Marian

After a fight with the mount. I had a good polar alignment. (I used the PHD2 polar drift alignment) I did the calibration twice, but it seems to make it somehow worse or at least it made no difference. The curve (both, the blue and the red as well) went off the grid few times. The whole screen flashed red few times. Anyway, after couple hours of being outdoor, the first pic is just about 20 minutes stacked, the other 2 pics of 1,5min. some darks with them. Somewhere close to M44. I just couldn't find M44. 

Autosave1.jpg

Autosave1.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marian said:

no dark frames

The Digic firmware introduces noise/artefacts which make processing -especially background- difficult. Link to that, the impossibility of producing temperature matched dark-light frames and, well... Just don't. We speak from bitter experience!

I never tried Siril

Siril download: https://siril.org/download/

Especially this: https://siril.org/tutorials/tuto-manual/

HTH = another thing that don't know

Hope That Helps

Cheers and HTH

16 minutes ago, Marian said:

find a video

Hundreds of 'em. Try a search on 'siril astro'

15 minutes ago, Marian said:

a light source

Yes. A drawing tablet or a uniform cloudy sky is fine. Set your camera on Av and adjust the t-shirt/paper until you have an exposure of around 2s.

HTH  

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Yes. A drawing tablet or a uniform cloudy sky is fine. Set your camera on Av and adjust the t-shirt/paper until you have an exposure of around 2s.

HTH  

How many frames do I take? Can I use them again later?

3 hours ago, Marian said:

How many frames

~16 should do it.

3 hours ago, Marian said:

Can I use them again

Yes, but only if you change NOTHING in the optical train. This includes stuff which is difficult to control such as dust settling on the camera sensor... 

They only take a few minutes to do so you may as well take them each time anyway to save having to deal with surprises further down the process.

HTH 

15 minutes ago, alacant said:

~16 should do it.

Yes, but only if you change NOTHING in the optical train. This includes stuff which is difficult to control such as dust settling on the camera sensor... 

They only take a few minutes to do so you may as well take them each time anyway to save having to deal with surprises further down the process.

HTH 

so I took them white shirt pics. I thought it would be ok against the sky. Well, I was wrong. It did take away those black spots, those color differences around edges.... it also brought blue-ish shade towards the top :) However, now I see the point of flat frames :) What about bias frames? Are they really mandatory?

4 hours ago, Marian said:

Are they really mandatory

No. On a 600d, they are best avoided.  The bias must still however be removed, otherwise the flat frames will not calibrate correctly.

Please see my previous post regarding offset and use of Siril.

Edited by alacant

28 minutes ago, alacant said:

No. On a 600d, they are best avoided.  The bias must still however be removed, otherwise the flat frames will not calibrate correctly.

Please see my previous post regarding offset and use of Siril.

Ok. Kinda scared of Siril. Seems to be quite complex