Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To make my eq5 go-to an autoguide

Marian

1 hour ago, Marian said:

do I have to do this?

Hi

The short answer is, no.

Further than that, we'd have to guess; we don't know what is connected to what, which cables are in use nor -apart from así- which software is installed.

Cheers 

Edited by alacant

1 hour ago, alacant said:

Hi

The short answer is, no.

Further than that, we'd have to guess; we don't know what is connected to what, which cables are in use nor -apart from así- which software is installed.

Cheers 

Well, I connected the camera to my laptop via the USB cable that came with it. The other cable (whatever the connector is called) I connected to the mount. 

As far as the software is concerned, (it all can be deleted or installed again) I downloaded the driver for the camera, PHD2, something called ASCOM (this doesn't like my mount). 

The PHD2 connected to the camera after I installed driver. So (I hope) that problem is solved. But still I struggle with the mount. No idea how to  control it via my laptop.

Edited by Marian

2 hours ago, Marian said:

No idea how to  control it via my laptop.

Ah, so you now have it connected? All that's left is to read the phd2 manual. If not...

The simplest way is to connect the camera via usb to your computer as you have already. 

Now, connect the camera to the mount using the other cable -the one which is  isn't usb- which was also supplied with the camera.

Next, with both camera and mount connected:

- Open PHD2 and create a new profile using the wizard.

- Enter your guide telescope focal length

- Choose 'on camera' for the mount selection. 

- Focus the 120 on a star and...

That's it.

Be sure to read the phd2 documentation which is a available in the 'Help' menu -and can be downloaded as pdf- and/or go along to an astro club meeting. Guiding is far easier the first time if someone is there to help and will save you hours of frustration.

Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Ah, so you now have it connected? All that's left is to read the phd2 manual. If not...

Thank you for all your help. I did everything just like you wrote. Then I tried to move my mount through the "manual guide" in PHD2, but the mount didn't move. 

I couldn't point the cam anywhere. It's cloudy.

Edited by Marian

10 hours ago, Marian said:

the mount didn't move

PHD2 is software for guiding. You'll not be able to see the mount moving whilst using its NSEW commands, but will be able to detect movement of a starfield whilst so doing. You may also be able to hear a faint buzz from the motors too.

To move the mount, use your handset.

Can't see where you are but sorry about the cloud. However it's only to be expected after you buy a new camera!

Cheers

Edited by alacant

3 hours ago, alacant said:

PHD2 is software for guiding.

And I thought, that's what the NSEW commands are for. I sat there for hours and tried to figure that out. So I still need the handset, good to know.

Now, will the PHD2 guide, drive my mount? Or will it only show how off my mount and alignment are?

It's been really cloudy since last October. I was able to take my telescopes out maybe twice in last 4 months. And it was so cold, that everything froze. (southern Finland)

Edited by Marian

1 hour ago, Marian said:

I still need the handset,

For the method I gave, yes.
There is a second method where you can control the mount using a planetarium program. Maybe get this method going first before throwing more software at it?

• Like 1

ASCOM is just a platform that all other astronomical applications used to communicate with.  In basic terms it allows your planetarium application to send the co-ordinates of the target you want to look at to the application that handles mount control.  Now the grey area here is that the two mount control applications commonly used (EQMOD or GSS) is based around Skywatcher brand of telescope.  But if your mount has been designed for control from a PC then the manufacture should provide an ASCOM complying application.  A decade ago a typical set up would be:

• EQMOD for mount control
  • Cartes du Ciel or similar for selecting targets
  • APT or similar to control the imaging camera to take all the exposures
  • PHD (later PHD2) to control the guiding.

These days most of the above combine more than just one function and now cover target acquisition for example.

The two cables you have that connect to the camera are USB for data transfer and possibly an ST4 control cable.  Are you using the ZWO camera as the main imaging camera or a guide Camera ?  I've only ever used separate imaging camera and guide camera's so can't really comment if using the same camera for both is practical or possible.  It may well be the case that only one application can access the camera and thus presents the first hurdle.

My workflow used to be as follows, and this is for a permenant set up in an observatory.  Naturally you would need to set up and polar align the mount if you have a mobile set up.  There are more ways to do this, especially now with applications such as NINA so this is not a defacto procedure:

• Power up the mount and cameras.
  • Boot the PC up
  • Launch EQMOD and confirm connection
  • Launch APT, PHD2 and CdC.
  • Unpark the mount, select a target in CdC that is near the intersection of the meridian and celestial equator.
  • Select a guide star in PHD2 and run a calibration.
  • Select the target I want to image in CdC and instruct the mount to slew to target
  • Once the slew is complete, select a guide star in PHD2 and once its guiding minimise the application
  • In APT I would open a plan to take say 40x 5 minute exposures through the main imaging camera (which in my case is a Canon D400 Dslr) and set it running.

Now as I said, this is just my old fashioned way of doing things.  Using modern applications such as NINA may well overcome any issues using the same camera for imaging and guiding - I don't use it so can't comment or advise if this is the case.

Hopefully though my post will help you understand what the basic functionality of each application and how they use ASCOM and the drivers to pass commands and share data.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, alacant said:

For the method I gave, yes.
There is a second method where you can control the mount using a planetarium program. Maybe get this method going first before throwing more software at it?

Ok, I think I am all set to try this out. Next time I am off and the sky is clear. I hope this will work.

16 hours ago, malc-c said:

ASCOM is just a platform that all other astronomical applications used to communicate with. 

This will be my "plan B" in case the "plan A" fails. If so, I'll have to buy a new mount that actually communicates with ASCOM. I updated the firmware of this mount (it's supposed to work with ASCOM) but it just doesn't work. I posted a picture of the error message, that ASCOM pushes above. 

There will be no dark skies in the night very soon here, I hope I'll be able to guide before the light nights come. Otherwise I'll have to wait until late August. 

But thank you for the instructions. I will do all I can :)

4 hours ago, Marian said:

supposed to work with ASCOM

ASCOM alone will do nothing. You also need the EXOS2-goto driver, the latest version of which is available here
Probably best to stick to your plan A, keep it simple and get the SBIG method working first. Many I know still use this method to guide.

Cheers and here's hoping the clouds will part soon.

ASCOM alone will do nothing. You also need the EXOS2-goto driver, the latest version of which is available here

Yes, I think this is where @Marian is getting slightly confused.  Probably better to think of ASCOM as a standard that software, including drivers for hardware has to agree to and forms the frame work that handles the communications between them.  The zip file @alacant has linked to provides the driver for the USB to serial device, along with detailed instructions on how to install the driver and the settings that are needed to allow the mount to communicate with a Windows based PC.

Reading the manual the method of control appears to be via the handset, in that the USB to serial adaptor is plugged into the PC, then the serial lead connects to the handset with the handset plugged into the mount.  The resulting serial port that the driver installs needs to be set to 57600 baud to communicate to the handset.

I'm sure you'll get there eventually... 

3 hours ago, alacant said:

Probably best to stick to your plan A, keep it simple and get the SBIG method working first. Many I know still use this method to guide.

Cheers and here's hoping the clouds will part soon.

Actually, when you guys told me what to get, this was the first that the postman brought me. That means, the handheld already has the last firmware, with the ASCOM driver. But it still won't communicate. (what does SBIG method mean?) I try to read all the manuals, I watched so many youtube videos to learn as much as possible but everyone uses these and many more abbreviations and I've no idea what they mean.

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

Yes, I think this is where @Marian is getting slightly confused. 

While waiting for the post to bring me all what I ordered, I was multitasking and tried to get all this ready but I bumped into this problem  

image.thumb.png.93cab28e943a11a54921d3b19ddb5b93.png

I don't think I am somehow confused what ASCOM is or what's its function, the Bresser Ascom driver prvided by Bresser just simply wont work. After installing it, there was this readme file:

image.thumb.png.94df85f191fe0b5b70d2332182322af6.png

8 hours ago, Marian said:

SBIG method

Sorry. I think that term is local to here. I should not have used it.

SBIG is the company which introduced on camera guiding many years ago. That is the same (non ASCOM) method I recommend to begin with and which is explained above.

My recommendation stands. Forget ASCOM for now. All you need running on your computer is PHD2.

Cheers 

Edited by alacant

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Sorry. I think that term is local to here. I should not have used it.

SBIG is the company which introduced on camera guiding many years ago. That is the same (non ASCOM) method I recommend to begin with and which is explained above.

My recommendation stands. Forget ASCOM for now. All you need running on your computer is PHD2.

Cheers 

Again, I am the one that should say sorry. As far as guiding is concerned, I am a total, 100% noob. Everything is new to me. Yes, I've been looking up with my telescopes for many years, took some nice pics as well. But I've never been a member of any forum nor I've ever knew anyone with this hobby. It's only lately, that I've decided to move little ahead and try guiding. 

Yes, your recommended method is still my plan A. Though I still don't understand How will PHD2 move my mount. I guess (I hope) I'll be surprised once I have the opportunity  to take it all out and try.

Running the Autorun.exe in the C:\Users\Username\Downloads\fed8de52aadfd0f07c528dacd992b377\Digitus DA-70156 Driver 20220329 WIN10_11 folder from the link @alacant provided launches an application giving the option to install Driver or read the manual.  Clicking on Driver opened a file explorer window with a dozen folders for various operating systems.  Clicking on the Windows 10/11 folder  I get three sub folders "CDM v2.12.12 WHQL Certified " with X86 32 or 64, along with a CDM21216_Setup.exe program.

Running the setup.exe application brings up a window "FTDI CDM Drivers" and I'm invited to click extract.  Doing so launches the installation wizard and to click "next", and then agreed the EUL and "next".  I left both packages ticked and clicked finish.  The installation window ran a progress bar that was over very quickly and then closed. with no errors.

Now I don't have your scope so can't confirm if the driver works with the mount, but I was able to open CdC and the telescope select window without any errors.  Now it may be just the USB - Serial adapter that needs plugging in for windows to launch the driver and present it into device manager and thus any application that accesses the com ports, so try that first before connecting the mount via the handset as per the manual

Untitled.png.e059cad4f1d86b4f3cf410ec8c59e6a6.png

Looking at the path in your error statement, I don't have C:\ASCOM which is the start of all the path statements in that message.  The normal path is C:\Program Files (x86)\ASCOM\Platform 6 which to me suggests you have downloaded and install the developer package.  I would suggest you uninstall ASCOM and the USB/Serial adapter driver and then download the current release build 6.6 SP1 of ASCOM from https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Index.htm  (the box to the right) and then reinstall the FTDI driver as detailed above.  Then with the usb to serial adapter plugged in, connected to the handset and with the handset connected to a powered mount see if you can launch CdC and choose the correct option form the telescope selection window.

• Like 1

what a surprise. There was a semi clear sky for couple of hours. I managed to set everything, do a polar and star alignment. Then I opened the PHD2, connected my cam, mount on a cam, did the dark library and started looping. That's the moment where I got stuck. The cam screen stayed white. Not noise white, only white. I checked all the cables, restarted everything, reconnected everything..... No help. The looping screen just stayed white. Am I doing something wrong again?

37 minutes ago, Marian said:

what a surprise. There was a semi clear sky for couple of hours. I managed to set everything, do a polar and star alignment. Then I opened the PHD2, connected my cam, mount on a cam, did the dark library and started looping. That's the moment where I got stuck. The cam screen stayed white. Not noise white, only white. I checked all the cables, restarted everything, reconnected everything..... No help. The looping screen just stayed white. Am I doing something wrong again?

Although it was white, was it guiding? Did you play with the slider below the cam window? 

Any change if you cover the guide telescope? Light pollution? Gain set at 48? Is there noise if covered during the day? Try another cable. Does the camera work with other apps? [...]

Cheers 

No, the cover was off. I managed to check that :) For the rest of your questions --> I don't know. It was -12 degrees and the clouds were coming fast. I never tried the cam during the day and I don't have other apps to test it just yet. It will be cloudy for the next week, we are expecting plenty of new snow :( 

Edited by Marian

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Although it was white, was it guiding? Did you play with the slider below the cam window? 

Actually no, I never got it to guide. I only pressed the "looping" icon. Then I got stuck and never touched the slider bar.