Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Products from Sky-Watcher

Am I losing the plot, or does the stencilling on what I assume to be the clutch levers in that second photo not actually match the labels on the mount body?

I also notice that under the mount name on the body is the text "Exclusive design by ...." and I can't work out what that last bit is.

James

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Am I losing the plot, or does the stencilling on what I assume to be the clutch levers in that second photo not actually match the labels on the mount body?

I also notice that under the mount name on the body is the text "Exclusive design by ...." and I can't work out what that last bit is.

James

Not losing it, James, just a keen eye! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

CQ350

That dovetail clamp perched atop the electric connectors box doesn't inspire rigidity...

The second photo suggests it's just around the front of the DEC axis, which does look quite hefty.  In the first it looks as though there's not much supporting the clamp though, I agree.  I think it's just an unfortunate angle that the first photo was taken from.

James

37 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Am glad you asked because I am also struggling to make out who it was designed by. 

We at FLO have been asked to not discuss the new mount, which is bonkers because it is in Sky-watcher's catalogue and there are already photos here at SGL. But you can of course discuss it so please do post whatever info you find 🙂 

Steve 

• Like 3

Another oddity is the set of threaded holes around the alt movement supports: only one in the first photo, but then three in the second.  I assume they are intended to  be some sort of friction clamp on the alt mechanism.  Perhaps that isn't finalised yet?

The az clamp bolts look a bit out of place too, in that they're a couple of hex cap bolts and washers instead of the nice moulded/machined adjusters everywhere else and don't match the overall colour scheme of the mount very well.  Perhaps that's something else that isn't really sorted out at this point.  I've also just noticed that there are a second set of holes just inboard of the az adjusters that don't seem to do much.

Perhaps if/when it actually gets to market there will be a few details that don't quite tie up with the photos.

James

25 minutes ago, Ags said:

Still waiting for the AZ-Gti HD that can carry 8kgs... I am not saying there are rumors such a thing is in the pipeline, but I can dream...

How great would that be Ags!!!

Helen

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Nice photos 🙂 

There was an eq7 announced before the eq8 the previous eq7 never made it to market as far as I'm aware and was I think a fairly good twin of the marketed eq8. This will probably happen to this mount as it's pre production mount goes through it's mods until ready for market introduction. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant

15 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

There was an eq7 announced before the eq8 the previous eq7 never made it to market as far as I'm aware and was I think a fairly good twin of the marketed eq8. This will probably happen to this mount as it's pre production mount goes through it's mods until ready for market introduction. 

I remember the EQ7, which became the Sky-Watcher EQ8. The EQ8 is a steady seller with very few returns but it trod on some toes when launched. Hopefully if/when this new centre-mounted mount is released it will escape the same fate. 

Steve 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2019 at 04:25, Sunshine said:

I can’t get “Starwand” out of my head, finally I’ll be able to point my scope at other objects!! 

Don't forget to swish and flick.

On 24/05/2019 at 11:09, souls33k3r said:

Me with a "Starwand" z2QoB95.gif.9f5694b25b0cb31b87e7b02604ef7b6d.gif

Poor mount. (As in: I feel sorry for that mount already. You should consider investing in an ABB industrial robot.) 😉

Edited by wimvb
  • Haha 1

It's just occurred to me that as (I think) "uscite" has some sort of sense of "way out" and "alimentazione" might relate to food, perhaps it could have meant something altogether less pleasant :D

James

On 04/06/2019 at 08:25, FLO said:

I remember the EQ7, which became the Sky-Watcher EQ8. The EQ8 is a steady seller with very few returns but it trod on some toes when launched. Hopefully if/when this new centre-mounted mount is released it will escape the same fate. 

Steve 

Trod on toes literally (ouch!), or as in people didn't know how to use it right at first, or as in it ruffled some feathers on fans of established expensive brands?

Wondering if they've managed to avoid iOptron's patents.

Strictly an English Mounting is a ladder pointing at the pole with the 'scope swinging between the legs, as in the 100" on mt Wilson. The Modified English has a single pole with the 'scope and cw on opposite sides.20190609_192222.thumb.jpg.dd5eafce29bfb08046d1c1235f5052ca.jpg

From Sidgwick, "Amateur Astronomer's Handbook"

22 hours ago, cotak said:

Trod on toes literally (ouch!), or as in people didn't know how to use it right at first, or as in it ruffled some feathers on fans of established expensive brands?

The latter, but that is history now. The dust has settled and the EQ8 is now an established part of the astronomy mount landscape.