Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Davenn

The Sun Today 7 May 2019

The Sun today - 07 May 2019 0130UT (1130 AEST)
Lunt LS60THa single frame exposures with an ASI 1600MM
AR2740 with AR2741 just coming around the limb

Capture_00004sm.jpg.cb378b368e3246927641d11f024a773b.jpg

Capture_00009sm.jpg.f11945b038a04c57d7875dbd5e0a23c4.jpg

This last one using a Televue 2.5x Powermate

Capture_00020sm.jpg.6cbf0d6f063b541333b84baf9a92fbc0.jpg

cheers

Dave

• Like 8

great shots mate, well done. terrible conditions here in up over. charl.

• Like 1

Great shots - SO good to see there's still a sun out there somewhere :D

• Like 1

Good stuff Dave, mostly cloud here.

Dave

• Like 1

Great catch.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@xtreemchaos, @Pete Presland, @Davey-T,

@Altocumulus, @Ibbo!     <---- hmmm the tagging didnt work

Thanks guys

my solar imaging has been a bit sparse of late, the days getting shorter, leave home before sunrise and get home not long before sunset

If the weekend isn't clear, I can go for weeks between imaging

Activity around AR2740 was good, it was easy to see changes  in the small filaments and bright areas even over a 30 min period

One thing this last imaging session proved was that the ZWO Tilt Adjuster solved the Newtons Rings issue when using higher magnification

with the Televue powermate ?

Having many bands across the image was driving me nutz  haha

Dave

Edited by Davenn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Davenn said:

@xtreemchaos, @Pete Presland, @Davey-T,

@Altocumulus, @Ibbo!     <---- hmmm the tagging didnt work

Thanks guys

my solar imaging has been a bit sparse of late, the days getting shorter, leave home before sunrise and get home not long before sunset

If the weekend isn't clear, I can go for weeks between imaging

Activity around AR2740 was good, it was easy to see changes  in the small filaments and bright areas even over a 30 min period

One thing this last imaging session proved was that the ZWO Tilt Adjuster solved the Newtons Rings issue when using higher magnification

with the Televue powermate ?

Having many bands across the image was driving me nutz  haha

Dave

how easy do you find getting the right amount of tilt to remove the rings?

Pete,

I also use the T2 tilter for solar with my ASI 174 and ASI 1600 cameras.

With the tilter installed, just in front od the camera, I find the easiest way to "tune" the tilt is live on the monitor...

Apply a little tilt and look for the reduction in the NR...repeat until they just disappear... only takes a minute or two and then you very rarely have to re-set the tilt.

HTH

12_11_39_no tilt.jpg

12_17_35_tilted.jpg

100_3362.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

how easy do you find getting the right amount of tilt to remove the rings?

2 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Pete,

I also use the T2 tilter for solar with my ASI 174 and ASI 1600 cameras.

With the tilter installed, just in front od the camera, I find the easiest way to "tune" the tilt is live on the monitor...

Apply a little tilt and look for the reduction in the NR...repeat until they just disappear... only takes a minute or two and then you very rarely have to re-set the tilt.

As Merlin said,  not too difficult. 

As you can see in his photo, the screws are in pairs ( well you can see one of the 3 pairs in that photo) ;)

one screw goes right through the 2 "layers, the other screw does the actual adjusting by only going through the first layer and pushing against the second layer

to do the tilting. I found just going around the 3 sets that one particular set had the most effect.

Gently tweaking that one and I could watch the rings slowly disappearing

A great and worthwhile AU$59 pent :) 

Interesting that in Merlin's pic's that he has just a few bands that are essentially straight lines.  mine are curved bands many more and closer spacing

which is what I am more used to seeing in my and other people's images. Tho I do admit in that "full disk " image the lines do flatten out somewhat ;) 

eg ......

cropped

799925280_190413Cap006.jpg.c9bc79b959452b67982882ac0b1f7d5d.jpg

1926785813_190413Capture_00005sm.jpg.e3fd83acf01b46be7341a750b830935b.jpg

cheers

Dave

Edited by Davenn
  • Thanks 1