Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 2019 SP - Bookings Open!

Grant

4 minutes ago, IanC11 said:

I take it there's still no sign of a pitch plan ???

Yes - I have pitch allocations but I'm not sure how helpful they are going to be to people.

Because of the changes at Lucksall to camping pitches, everybody camping will be in long meadow but the pitches will not be allocated in there until nearer the time - this is in case of ground condition issues but also, we need to determine the best place to locate the marquee which may also affect things.

I will draw up what I have and post that soon but please don't worry, if you've booked, you will have a pitch and we still have some space 🙂

Lucksall try very hard to accommodate everyones choices but it is not easy - I remember from hard experience!

On 26/09/2019 at 16:18, Grant said:

Yes - I have pitch allocations but I'm not sure how helpful they are going to be to people.

Because of the changes at Lucksall to camping pitches, everybody camping will be in long meadow

Are there tent-friendly hard standings in long meadow? Having used one of these for the past few years I can say they make camping in rainy / muddy conditions bearable.

• Like 2

On 26/09/2019 at 17:48, IanC11 said:

I should be ok with the caravan then. Still thinking of hiring a hovercraft after last year 🤣

Wow, I'd actually completely forgotten about the potential 'flooding' incident lol I even unhooked the van just in case we had to make an emergency run for it in the middle of the night!

It's going to be my first time camping, so I'm not quite sure what to expect! 🤣 I haven't got a tent yet, hoping to get something this weekend. Are there any types I should particularly avoid? (My student budget will need to take a slap in the face, I fear! 🤔)

John

Edited by JohnSadlerAstro

12 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

It's going to be my first time camping, so I'm not quite sure what to expect

Expect it to be cold and wet so get a decent sleeping bag and waterproofs, electric hook up cable and heater, don't worry about cooking food nice café on site.

Dave

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Cannot see an end to this rain is this meet going to be cancelled like Galloway a couple of years back if not its going be a mud bath so much rain to come all next week at least.☹️

We’ve still got four weeks to go, way too far off to worry about the weather!

We will have the marquee again this year, even bigger so even if the weather is bad we will still go ahead with the various talks, workshops. Quiz, demos etc.. so it will be a good weekend no matter what the weather does 😀

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Grant said:

We’ve still got four weeks to go, way too far off to worry about the weather!

We will have the marquee again this year, even bigger so even if the weather is bad we will still go ahead with the various talks, workshops. Quiz, demos etc.. so it will be a good weekend no matter what the weather does 😀

I know but its the thought of driving 2.5 hrs in the rain putting tent up in the rain and packing the tent away in the rain I do hope it gets better towards the end of the month I have been looking forward to this since I booked, meeting old friends and making new ones.

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Cannot see an end to this rain is this meet going to be cancelled like Galloway a couple of years back if not its going be a mud bath so much rain to come all next week at least.☹️

Can't be more rain than last year Paul and lots of paved paths to walk on.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I know but its the thought of driving 2.5 hrs in the rain putting tent up in the rain and packing the tent away in the rain I do hope it gets better towards the end of the month I have been looking forward to this since I booked, meeting old friends and making new ones.

Can't get any worse than last year. Check out the posted videos

• Like 1

Last year was a good social event but the weather was really bad.

I think I only managed to get a the Lunt out for 30 mins and a small Frac for about 1 hr on one night, so it couldn't be much worse. 

But I think everyone had fun anyway, I know I did. 

Just now, AdeKing said:

Last year was a good social event but the weather was really bad.

I think I only managed to get a the Lunt out for 30 mins and a small Frac for about 1 hr on one night, so it couldn't be much worse. 

But I think everyone had fun anyway, I know I did. 

Yes, remember that Ade, rushed round to look at the Sun and it promptly clouded over 😂

At least it didn't snow :rolleyes:

Dave

• Like 1

I managed about half hour with the dob last year, but really enjoyed the time in the tent. I also managed to get through the entire Mission Impossible franchise in the time I should have been stargazing :) Bringing some more films just incase but hoping for a clearer time.

• Like 1

Not that I am able to attend this particular star party due to other commitments, but for future reference, are those "glamping" pods/huts/cabins that are on the campsites webpage available to hire during SGL star parties?

Edited by DirkSteele

I'm having flashbacks to panic checking the water levels round the back of the campsite... arrrgh! Let's hope for a calmer and more star focussed party this year. Having said that, I have very fond memories of looking through a huge, beautifully made Dob last year and being stunned by the views. Can't wait for the event, whatever the weather. See you all very soon!

• Like 2

A big dingy may be more use than a big Dob 😂

34 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

I have very fond memories of looking through a huge, beautifully made Dob last year and being stunned by the views

Wonder if Pete's coming, must PM him especially since Ally inconsiderately sold his big one :D

Dave

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

I'm having flashbacks to panic checking the water levels round the back of the campsite... arrrgh! Let's hope for a calmer and more star focussed party this year. Having said that, I have very fond memories of looking through a huge, beautifully made Dob last year and being stunned by the views. Can't wait for the event, whatever the weather. See you all very soon!

Yes, me too, I finally gave up and packed up when the ditches around the camping field started filling up.

16 hours ago, Davey-T said:

A big dingy may be more use than a big Dob 😂

Wonder if Pete's coming, must PM him especially since Ally inconsiderately sold his big one :D

Dave

I did indeed sell the Lukehurst. However, it is being replaced by a more usable 10" F6.3 OOUK 1/10th optics 😘

Very much looking forward to the meet. 

• Like 3