M51 and fuzzies

alan4908

Yet another attempt at the Whirlpool galaxy (M51).

This time, I decided to try to maximize detail by collecting a large quantity of Luminescence data and then applying strong deconvolution to the areas of high signal to noise.  I also decided to try out Mure denoise, a Pixinsight routine that reduces camera noise.  The final result of this LRGB processing approach is shown below and represents just over 17 hours integration time. 

I hadn't noticed before the rather strangely shaped fuzzies in the backgroud - have a look at the annotated version for IC4278 and the triangular shaped galaxy PC2292105. 

Alan

LIGHTS: L:46, R:20, G:23, B: 15 x 600s; DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C. 

508652824_23.final.thumb.jpg.e000f979f3d12be095ba6d763ff58cbc.jpg

23_final_Annotated.thumb.jpg.fe9a72b54531353b116a79b465821630.jpg

Thanks for all your comments, they are very much appreciated !:hello:

11 hours ago, Sland said:

What is the galaxy at the 10:30 position from NGC5195?

Well, according to the free software Aladin tool, which gives you the option of searching NED (Nasa  Extragalactic Database) - it is IC4277.  

Alan 

12 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Thanks for all your comments, they are very much appreciated !:hello:

Well, according to the free software Aladin tool, which gives you the option of searching NED (Nasa  Extragalactic Database) - it is IC4277.  

Alan 

Thank you, hadn't heard of Aladin before, downloading now :)

1 hour ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Amazing detail running all the way to the core.

Thanks - :hello:

4 minutes ago, tomato said:

Superb, so much detail and vibrant colour, really great  to see what the Esprit 150 can do, and this is from your UK location?

Thanks for the comment - yes the Esprit 150 is delivering the goods once more and yes, this is from my site in the UK, East Sussex. 

Alan

1 minute ago, alan4908 said:

Thanks - :hello:

Thanks for the comment - yes the Esprit 150 is delivering the goods once more and yes, this is from my site in the UK, East Sussex. 

Alan

Thanks for confirming this, there is still hope for UK imaging...

51 minutes ago, tomato said:

Thanks for confirming this, there is still hope for UK imaging...

Yes indeed  :happy11: - what I think helps is that my obsey is located at quite a dark (ish) site which also seems to have relatively good seeing conditions.  

Alan 

Archived