sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

After some trial and error I'm getting some very good guiding results with PHD2 now. 60mm guidescope and ASI290MM mini camera. The M42 image taken late March was 12 x 15 second exposures taken manually with my dslr / C8 and a stopwatch. Stacked in DSS and played with a bit in GIMP. On the night I couldn't get APT to register the camera - turned out to be the mini USB cable (although later trials point to the socket in the camera being a bit loose too). 

Bought an iOPTRON iPOLAR that arrived on Friday and had a play with that which has resulted in near perfect polar alignment. 2 star alignment and an additional 2 calibration stars on my Advanced GT mount means I'm getting very accurate GOTOs now and PHD2 (through the ST4 port on the ASI camera) seems to be guiding very well.  Last night after more cable faffing I managed to get everything working together to the point where I felt confident enough to leave it running by itself for an hour and a half (45 minutes of 180 second exposures plus 3 minutes each exposure to save the file - I've since found out I shouldn't have noise reduction switched on in the camera - DOH!) so M51 is 15 x 180 second @ ISO 800 lights and 5 x 180 second darks.  A little manipulation in GIMP and I think it's come out very well. Obviously still have a lot to learn and I'm going to have to start taking much longer exposures  but I'm quite pleased with these 2 pictures. 

Graeme.

m42 monday.jpg

M51 monday.jpg

Edited by jacko61
wrong m51 pic
  • Like 7

Well done Graeme !

Noise in the background of the M51 image is smooth and not showing the usual DSLR "Walking Noise" patterns.

Only a hint of coma in the corners.

Michael

Edited by michael8554

Thanks Michael.  I had originally posted a cropped pic of M51 but it was getting a bit fuzzy so the image above is the full frame.  I had Noise Reduction switched on in the camera which may be why there's not so much in the image. However, I've switched it off as it was causing each frame to take over three minutes to save. It'll be interesting to see how the noise looks next time.  I'm quite pleased with the results though;  this is the first time I've ever used any editing software and I find a lot of the jargon in the Docs to be too technical. These results are after following a single GIMP astrophotography tutorial - I reckon I still have a lot to learn though :)

Graeme

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sajjad
      Hello, 
      I'm using phd2 guiding with an asi 120mm mini connected to my laptop via USB.. I have eq6r mount which is also connected via USB.. When I connect everything the mount can be controlled via the eqmod interface.. It slews in all directions.. However, when I connect to phd2 and try manual guiding to check if commands are going to the mount nothing happens in any direction.. I have the setting at 5000ms..i don't hear any movement from the mount and have had a look at the motors but they do not turn even when holding the direction button for minutes!! What am I doing wrong here? 
      Please help as this is driving me crazy.. Thanks in advance 
    • By tooth_dr
      I've been trying to image a couple of galaxies per night, one pre and one post flip.  On early Saturday morning at 1:30am I changed over to M82, and acquired 63 x 3 mins subs, OSC, totalling 3 hours and 9 minutes of data. 
      Camera: ZWO 2600MC at -10 deg C, gain 100, offset 50
      Telescope: Skywatcher 250PX (blue tube), 1200mm F4.7
      Mount: Mesu e200
      Guiding: ZWO OAGv2, 290MM, PHD2
      Filters: None
      Software: APT for capture, APP and PS for processing

I havent really had a chance to get much use out of this camera since I bought it in December, and I havent processed many OSC images before.  I've a bit of work to do, but still very happy with the quality of the data for just 3 hours of integration time.  I would like to add some Ha to this, but purposely didnt bother during the recent clear spell, as it was moonless nights and I gathered some broadband data on other targets instead.

CC welcome.
      Adam

• By scotty38
      Hi all PHD2 seems to be playing up again and Iost a clear night again 🤬 Everything appeared to be fine and after polar aligning (separate camera to guide scope) I set up a new sequence.  That started up and focused, plate solved and then guiding started but after a few seconds of perfect looking guiding the RA and Dec went off the scale massively ending up with a PHD error along the lines of "PHD2 is unable to make sufficient corrections in RA, check for cable snags, redo calibration...." Images obviously come out trailed. I have an RDP connection to the laptop at the mount so after happening a few times I went to check for snags etc but it all seemed fine. I set up the sequence again at the mount and the same thing happened. Restarting the apps, power cycling the kit and choosing different targets all resulted in the same issue so I packed it all away. It was also the same if I used PHD2 via NINA or if I just started PHD2 on its own and tried guiding separately.
      I'm using an AZ-EQ6 with a WO guide scope and 120mm if it's relevant.
      I checked everything was tight and have not looked at any logs yet but does anyone have any bright ideas what might be happening please?
      Thanks in advance...
    • By alexbb
      This is another finished target for this season.
      I (quite) recently bought a TS Photoline 102 ED with FPL53 which performs surprisingly well for a doublet. So I put it to tests and imaging, in parallel with an older FPL51 AstroProfessional 102 ED doublet.
      The blue color correction is much better in the newer TS. I shoot luminance often with both and then take the highlights from the better scope.
      For this image I also used some older data that I had available, shot with a 130PDS, but that maybe only made my life more difficult. Not that otherwise I shot data through the refractors in a single panel with reducers/correctors, but also in 2 panels with no reducing correctors. Same about the RGB. Some shorter exposures from the backyard, some from a dark site, most of the G data from a dark site, B and R from home (clouds came in at the dark site) and a lot of other adventures.
      But in the end I managed to put them all together and made an image out of them.
      You can watch it in full resolution and see other details on astrobin: Great Orion Nebula
      Clear skies!
      Alex

• By astrobena
      Hey everyone,
      Over the past few days i've been gathering data on M31 due to the battery not lasting long and andomeda dissapearing behind a tree, therefore the mulitple imaging sessions. So far i've been out and me being me, only took dark, bias and light frames for the first 2 sessions but for the last one i also included flats... (The lights all have very slightly different settings cause i have been experimenting slightly... that being 45sec @ ISO 400, 45sec @ ISO 200 and 50sec @ ISO 100) Now DSS assinged all the correct bias and dark frames to the corresponding light frames but because i only have flats for my last imaging session it applied those to all the different light frames and not just to the last set...(and due to me moving the telescope / taking the camera off, the dust spots have obviously been moving around and that therefor dont work at all for the other light frames...) So my question: Is there any way in DSS to apply flats to only one set of light frames and if not are there any other apps with which i can do this with?
      Many Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.