Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I need a smaller scope

I have a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P DOB that I am very pleased with apart from the size. I want to get a more portable scope that I can take out to dark sites. Can anyone recommend a more portable scope with similar performance to the one I have.  There are so many to look at and would like to pay around the same price as my existing scope.

Thanks

Les

Think I may have posted this in the wrong forum but I cant see how to move it to maybe equipment advice.

You could buy the smaller version, the 150mm.
Although the aperture is slightly smaller, the 150 'may improve' what you see, when observing from a darker site, if your own site has any light pollution to contend with.

The 200P is still portable in that it can be separated from its mount and carried in a car ( obviously a car is needed ).

Well, since going to a darker location boosts the performance, a smaller scope should give you the comparable view you're after. Bresser has a special price on its 6*inch dob. Bresser's single-arm dobsonians have a Vixen rail, so balancing them is simple (the rail seems to be 15 or 20cm long, quite a margin), and you can mount them on an equatorial or a heavy-duty altaz if the need arises later.

https://www.bresser.de/Sale/Ausstellungsware/BRESSER-Messier-6-Dobson-AKTION-Astrokalender-2019-GRATIS.html

Scope portability is a very subjective choice, depending on each individual's physical strength and the ergonomics of their observing location.

I've recently downsized to a Skywatcher 200PDS from a 10" Dobsonian.

So for me, it's much more managable.  I've lost 2" of diameter and about 40% light gathering but it's far more usable for me.

I'm lucky enough to have dark skies at home (very Rural Norfolk, UK), so no need for car trips, but the 10" was 4ft tall and was more than twice as heavy, so manhandling it through doorways and up onto a raised deck was too much for me, ( 67 years old and Hernia repaired !! ?).

By comparison the 9kg Skywatcher 200 is a breeze to lift and carry and the equatorial mount breaks down nicely into the three main parts, mount, weights, and tripod.

I use it with a CG5 (EQ5) equatorial and it also fits nicely (just) on my AZ4 Alt/Az, giving me the alternative  Dobsonian simplicity for quick sessions.

If I had to transport by car though, I see the point, the scope, mount, and tripod would be pushing things in the average car.

I'd second the SCT suggestion for ultimate portability.

My other scope is a Meade ETX 125 PE Mak which I find excellent, having ironed out its several known drawbacks. (sorted out the gearboxes and the dot finder mount).

It's very compact, and even more so when I temporarilly gave up on the meade mount and fitted it with a dovetail and rings.

If I had to compromise to just one scope, it could be an 8" Celestrian SCT.

SCT and Maks are much higher magnification and much lower f ratio though, so are great for planets but not so good for dim deep sky objects. (So nice to have one of each !)

Thanks for all the replies.  Need to think about this as I do like my scope and can get it in the car providing the boot and back seats are free for the tube and mount. Problem comes when the dogs need to go as well as they normally go on the back seat.  I think I will need to look at a second scope to take on holidays. 

Les

I know everyone pushes aperture as the most important thing, but ultimately aperture is useless if it has to be left at home!

The suggestion of an SCT is quite a good one given their compact size. The downsides are relatively narrow field of view, cooling time and the fact that they dew up easily. Relatively more expensive too, although a 6" should be reasonable.

If CA doesn't bother you too much, something like a StarTravel 120mm f5 might be worth looking at. Physically smaller than the dob so easier to transport, should give nice widefield views under darker skies and would, to an extent, complement your dob at a reasonable price.

58 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

Would a truss dob be more mobile?

Inevitably yes, but likely way over budget unfortunately. There is a very nice 10" Sumerian Alkaid on eBay currently at £1100..  

A 150mm F/5 newtonian on an alt-az mount such as the AZ-4 is very portable and still pretty capable. I was using a similar setup at the SGL star party a few years back and the 150mm aperture was delivering similar DSO views to those which the 10 inch I had back then could manage from my back yard !

The mounts can be bought for around £70 and the OTA's for around £100.

Something like this:

post-69579-0-80052400-1413834381.jpg

I have just come inside from using a Skywatcher 150P f/5 on a Skywatcher AZ5 mount. Viewed the Double Cluster, M13, M57, Coathanger and then added an O-III filter and viewed the Veil and M27. Only came in because the Moon was too bright and washed out the sky.

So a 6" Newt on an Alt/Az mount is a capable quick grab and go and can easily fit into a small car.

I converted this 150/750 because of my disability and after using it for about a month now I have discovered the best grab and go I ever used, virtually windproof only ten pounds and way way way steadier than binoculars at mags from 24x to about 80x. The speed at which targets can be located and aquired is unmatched to anything I have ever used and it now goes everywhere with me in a padded gym bag strapped by seatbelt in the back seat. While waiting for my wife to finish work I just pop the car door open and use it without even fully exiting the vehicle it has also traveled to 3 different dark sites that I use to go to Pryor to being Disabled, wish I would have discovered this mod 30 years ago and am just amazed at how quick steady and easy this is to use. So simple and productive to just delete the mount and get observing...and maybe 3 minutes to convert it back for a mount.

IMG_20181010_185409_DRO-01.jpeg

A 150mm f/5 Newtonian on a suitable alt-azimuth can certainly be a blast...

449061776_FrostyScopeMoon.jpg.d71036a64064f1140458d54bba532a6a.jpg

...and a rather chilly one in that instance.  The mirrors frosted over, and the Moon all but disappeared before my eyes.

The usual complement to a large "Dobsonian" however is a refractor of sorts; at least an 80mm, preferably an f/10 or longer in the case of an achromat.  

Les

Started out with a 10" dob, and still my first weapon of choice, when doing school and scout group presentations

Progressed to Skywatcher ED80 on a EQ5 mount, and very portable as well, especially if you want to venture into AP, which cannot do with your dob

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

This is the challenging part:

".....a more portable scope with similar performance to the one I have. .... around the same price as my existing scope...."

With the existing scope being a 200mm F/6 dobsonian, which offers around the best performence per £ spent, fulfilling the above request is going to be really tough !

24 minutes ago, John said:

This is the challenging part:

".....a more portable scope with similar performance to the one I have. .... around the same price as my existing scope...."

With the existing scope being a 200mm F/6 dobsonian, which offers around the best performence per £ spent, fulfilling the above request is going to be really tough !

‘‘‘Tis true enough John, unless you take the dark skies part into consideration.  A 150mm Newt as you suggested under a dark sky may well show a similar amount or even better than the 200P under light polluted skies.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

‘‘‘Tis true enough John, unless you take the dark skies part into consideration.  A 150mm Newt as you suggested under a dark sky may well show a similar amount or even better than the 200P under light polluted skies.

With only ground level light pollution from neighboring homes and dark skies over head the veiws in my 8" dob are seriously degraded in comparison to my 6" newt just 15 minutes from home so much so that only the brightest galaxies are seen from my driveway. 

The op 's criteria are tight specs  maybe a six inch newt on an az gti mount at a total weight of 18.8 lbs including the goto would be the best alternative if one wants a fair mount, goto and a reasonable aperture all in one package. Of course the mount may be close to maxed out with a 6" newt loaded but would likely be hearty enough for mags up to 150x or good enough for dso. I haven't used the az gti so feel free to give your opinion here on me suggesting the combo as I intend to buy one for a small apo in the near future and your opinions matter to me ?

Archived