Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Norway!

huldra

Hi everybody!

Just got a Sky-watcher startravel 102 AZ3 for my birthday from my way too good-for-me husband. I don't have much experience in this, but I did have a Celestron Firstscope once.  I enjoyed wathing the moon but I never really got the knack of finding anything else in it before my kids wrecked it.

This is, of course, a better Scope than my previous.  What should I expect to see with this? Apart from the moon obviously, where do you suggest I point it?  I live way out on the norwegian countryside, so I've got that dark surroundings thing going for me I guess.

Looking forward to learning a lot :)

Hi,

Welcome to SGL! 

It sounds like you have a very nice scope and very good skies--so you should see quite a lot. I would suggest you invest in the book, "Turn Left at Orion". It gives lunar maps, and observing tips, but best of all its packed with maps for how to find deep sky objects, and what to expect when you find them! 

I would also suggest you get the free planetarium software Stellarium to go with the book. It has nice graphics and is very user-friendly. I've never needed to use any other planetarium software since I downloaded it. :) 

John

Thank you, that was a very useful thread! I'm certanly not expecting anything Hubble-like, I will be very satisfied to see any detail on Jupiter for example. 

I'd like take photos too, but i suspect I need some sort of tracking device for that. 

Hei og velkommen, 

12 hours ago, huldra said:

so I've got that dark surroundings thing going for me I guess

Well you allready have the two most important ingredients, a telescoop and dark skies. Have fun.

Hi, huldra, and welcome to SGL.

With that scope (and the inestimably valuable 'dark' skies) there will be a lot within your reach. Without knowing your main areas of interest, let me make just one suggestion that will be easy ... Albireo. This is an optical double star (the two components are not physically near each other, just in the same line-of-sight). One star is golden and the other a deep blue ... a truly gorgeous doube star which will easily split in your scope that is fairly high in the sky at the moment.

13 hours ago, huldra said:

Looking forward to learning a lot

We likes questionses! Just post them on the appropriate board and you will find a wealth of experience & knowledge, together with a willingness to share it.

Emjoy the journey.

Welcome Huldra! :) 

As a complement to Stellarium, you can also check DSO-Browser. It's a great tool to plan your observing session, see "what's in the sky tonight" and how to find each object.

The telescope simulator can also help you visualise how big your target will appear in the eyepiece. For beginners like me, it's very convenient. I believe there's a similar function in Stellarium.

Clear skies!

Archived