Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from Cascais, Portugal

Mark Raishbrook

Hi, everyone. I've been meaning to join this forum ever since I swapped my very old Celestron 114 mm reflector for an SW 200 PDS last year (wow! what a difference!) and have finally got around to doing so. Visual observing only at the moment, but I hope to get started with some basic astrophotography soon. Money permitting, of course!

Hi and a very warm welcome to the Lounge :)

If you do decide to go down the astrophotography route, my advice is to invest in the book "Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards." It will give you a great understanding of what's involved and could save you buying something that in the future you may regret.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

On 03/08/2018 at 09:06, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Mark, & welcome to SGL. 

If that is the only mistake you make on your AP journey you will be ahead of most of us! 

Enjoy the journey. 

Thank you, Demonperformer. This is slightly OT, for which I apologise, but mistake two was attempting to set up the SW 200 on the EQ5 without the counterweights attached - d'oh! - and it dropped four feet off the mount onto stone paving. Apart from a bent tube ring thumbscrew (and a minor heart attack), everything is fine. 

7 hours ago, Mark Raishbrook said:

Thank you, Demonperformer. This is slightly OT, for which I apologise, but mistake two was attempting to set up the SW 200 on the EQ5 without the counterweights attached - d'oh! - and it dropped four feet off the mount onto stone paving. Apart from a bent tube ring thumbscrew (and a minor heart attack), everything is fine. 

OUCH!!

At least you won't do that again.

8 hours ago, Mark Raishbrook said:

A very lucky escape! Even with the 'wrong' kit there's a lot of useful AP lessons to be learned - which gives you time to save up! 

Archived