Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

To FeatherTouch or not???

Having had the tube on Big Red my Carton 100 f/13 refractor refinished I’ve been thinking about upgrading the focuser to a FeatherTouch. Now the Baader Steeltrack is just fine and is an excellent focuser and doesn’t really need changing but the Feathertouch would just finish off the scope nicely. Hmmmmm ?????

Would have to sell of some things to pay for it though. ?

Just waiting for the two pack paint to fully harden before re-assembling the scope.

John

631B2309-B660-4FC5-AEC5-09A8A3B46744.jpeg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I look to make certain upgrades I may not really need, my local shop owner always blurbs "if its not broken don't fix it Eddie" if I only listened to him more often, I would be driving a nicer car lol.

John, if this beauty is your most used scope, then maybe its worth a feathertouch, but sounds like the Baader is still a very good option, maybe save the money and get a really nice eyepiece to use with this scope, one that will be superb in it

Probably just a rainy afternoon and looking at that beautiful candy red tube. ?

And no it’s not my most used scope. Actually a new mount would be of more use really than a new focuser. Would fit nicely on a Sky-Watcher AZ EQ5-GT which would also suit my Skymax 180. ?

I suppose the answer depends on what you are trying to achieve with this build rather than what you need.

If you are approaching this with the thought that "only the best will do" then the FT is the right answer. If you are thinking "I want to build a really nice refractor" then the Baader Steeltrack will do the job nicely.

Either way it seems you will end up with a fabulous scope :smile: 

John, it looks beautiful. And you didn’t get that finish because you NEEDED it but because you WANTED it.

If you don’t fit the FT you’ll always have a nagging ‘should I have?’ thought at the back of your mind.

Michael has it right - the tube deserves the best! ??

The answer is yes, erm, what was the question again?

I've had both Steeltraks and FT focusers, the Baader was good, like a VW, but I'd rather have the Rolls ;)

In all seriousness, fit and finish on the FT focusers is a class above the Baader, and that is a very classy tube.

Show us pics when you get it :)

Hi John,

I hope I can give an objective opinion, but probably not.

If you really want a FT focuser, go for it. Will it be a R&P FT focuser? If R&P then definitely, however if it is going to be a Crayford, then stick with the Baader. FT focusers are good but a Crayford of any make is still a Crayford.

I really do not understand people thinking that moving to a Crayford is an upgrade - however the Baader Diamond Track do seem to cut the mustard.

Short answer - don’t let anyone on here sway you, go for what you fancy.

That seems to be very confusing advice to me @Uplooker, and certainly not an objective opinion as it reads as a 100% biased preference in favour of R&P over Crayford focusers for all situations. Surely both types are perfectly acceptable in different situations,, particularly when the discussion is around top of the range kit? 

Perhaps your preference for R&P is because you are imaging and therefore required to support heavy equipment at the back end, which would be perfectly reasonable - but I doubt the intended use of the scope under discussion is for imaging?

Your final sentence implies that no one should bother asking for advice or opinions, which would be a shame as it is a very large part of what SGL is all about ? 

Having owned several regular FeatherTouch and an RP version found they both work equally well. However yes the RP can handle a heavier load and thus has advantages for imaging with heavy equipment but this scope will be for visual. Might do a bit of lunar imaging with the ZWO290MM but think the regular FT will handle the weight. ?

Do like the 2.5” R&P but the regular FT is expensive enough at 649 quid anyway so is favourite.

My old FLT98 with R&P FT.

2C90C6C9-6BF3-4B95-9EB7-E845EA497923.jpeg

I've seen quite strong views arguing against the crayford design from time to time as well. I get along fine with mine (1 Feathertouch and 3 Moonlites) but I don't image.

The Baader steel track is hardly an ugly or innefficient focuser and £650 will buy quite a bit of other stuff but if you want an FT and don't have any other priorities for the cash then why not ?

I guess newcomers to the hobby might wonder why investing the price of a decent 8 or 10 inch scope in a minor upgrade has attraction but there you go :dontknow:

Nothing wrong with the Crayford design. The problem comes from budget crayfords not made to the same standard as a FeatherTouch.

The Baader is a fine focuser in it’s own right though so do I need a FT. Well no but would like one. However would also like a new mount so logically would be better to put the FT money towards the mount.

Arrrrrrgh!!! Decisions decisions.  ?

I have to say that i am not a fan of budget crayfords, the only one i have owned and really liked is the solid one fitted to a Tal 100RS, i seem to have problems with the cheaper ones on the market, i cant afford the luxury of FT so i would look at dual speed r&p

There are so many options these days it's truly ridiculous. Have a look at Telesope Service's focuser page .... https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c92_Focusers.html

Three(3) pages of insanity !!

If I were upgrading from my now old trusty std TS badged crayford, I'd seriously consider the TS 2.5 or 3" R&P focusers. Well priced and (from what I've heard from a friend), very well made, smooth focusers.

BUT ........... Put the money towards a mount/tripod/pedestal. That, in my opinion, is THE most important piece of the astro kit puzzle. All my opinion of course :)

@AndyH Three(3) pages of insanity!  Heheh that did make me laugh! ?

I DID replace my Skywatcher ED80 focusser with a TS Monorail focuser...
But mostly to liberate a (rather good) for a (not great) ST120 focuser! ?

Other issues cone in to play as well... As well as being more "solid" some
focusers are shorter... More in-focus for greater (imaging) flexibility etc.
Being of standard size, you can also swap them back as well though... ?

Good point on many of the newer focusers being shorter. Sometimes 10-20mm is enough to let a binoviewer be used without a barlow nosepiece.

Another good thing about the days we live in, you really have to go out your way to find a bad focuser. Choices are fantastic. You really can spend weeks mulling over choices and specifications etc. 

Andy

ps; I still say, get the best, sturdiest mount you can. Everything else may come and go, but that one purchase could last an astro lifetime.

It would be a semi-portable mount like the Sky-Watcher AZ EQ5-GT which would fit nicely on my Berlebach tripod. ?

As the heaviest OTA would be my Skymax 180 should be adequate. Could stick the Skytee II head on the steel tripod and bring in a few quid. ?

AA9B49E2-5049-4A02-BC73-7870B86D3FB1.jpeg

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

Nothing wrong with the Crayford design. The problem comes from budget crayfords not made to the same standard as a FeatherTouch.

The Baader is a fine focuser in it’s own right though so do I need a FT. Well no but would like one. However would also like a new mount so logically would be better to put the FT money towards the mount.

Arrrrrrgh!!! Decisions decisions.  ?

Given that you already have the Baader ST why not stick that on for now, buy the mount you need and then consider replacing the focuser later if you are still inclined to do so? 

22 minutes ago, DRT said:

Given that you already have the Baader ST why not stick that on for now, buy the mount you need and then consider replacing the focuser later if you are still inclined to do so? 

That’s the way I’m thinking now. 

Archived