Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seben cheap telescopes

The telescope in question appears to me to be a conventional newtonian with a primary mirror 76mm in diameter and a focal length of 700mm so a focal ratio of F/9.2. A spherical primary can deliver decent performance at that focal ratio, if it is decently well figured.

Skywatcher have a similar product:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/beginners-telescopes/astrolux.html

Having used neither. I've no idea how the two brands compare :dontknow:

The views of the moon will be good, of course. It's how it fares on more challenging targets that will be interesting.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

I would suggest you signout of amazon when posting your links . I can't read your home language but someone that can might just order stuff under your name and have you pay for their stuff . 

No way anyone clicking on it would be signed in into his account. It's a https link... It's encrypted so anyone clicking on it who isn't logged in won't see his stuff but will have to log in first. 

It's in German because that's OP's native language. Trust me on this, no one can access someone's account like that. 

If I linked you an Amazon page while I'm logged in, you won't be getting into my account unless you know my email and password. 

2 hours ago, iggyiggs said:

No way anyone clicking on it would be signed in into his account. It's a https link... It's encrypted so anyone clicking on it who isn't logged in won't see his stuff but will have to log in first. 

It's in German because that's OP's native language. Trust me on this, no one can access someone's account like that. 

If I linked you an Amazon page while I'm logged in, you won't be getting into my account unless you know my email and password. 

Well just so happened that i clicked on his name and it brought up his profile but again being in german I couldn’t read it . But if i was not able to do anything it would have asked me for username and password first but it did not  . That is why i suggested he sign out before posting a link .  Now that he has signed out i click it and it does ask for password . I just checked . 

18 hours ago, hazemIII said:

Trust me, plenty could go wrong.  £50 is the cost of one decent eyepiece  -no telescope, no mount, just the eyepiece. Some folks will pay £300 for a premium brand eyepiece. If £50 is your budget, buy a pair of 10x50 binoculars. For that money, you can get a decent budget pair that will give you service for years, and show a lot more of the night sky than your unaided eyes.  (Do not buy zoom binoculars - other than very expensive ones (£500) they're another scam. It's very difficult to manufacture a zoom binocular that stays in alignment.)

11 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Well just so happened that i clicked on his name and it brought up his profile but again being in german I couldn’t read it . But if i was not able to do anything it would have asked me for username and password first but it did not  . That is why i suggested he sign out before posting a link .  Now that he has signed out i click it and it does ask for password . I just checked . 

I understand what you are saying but are you 100% sure it was a profile that you saw and it was his? If you are logged in with your account then you wouldn't be asked for psw and so on and you'd just see the German version of your account. It would seem very strange to me that you were logged in automatically into his account just by clicking on a link.

You have no cookies from his account on your device so how would that be even possible?

I have shared and clicked on links from Amazon and other websites while logged in or from people logged in and never experienced anything like this. 

If it was his profile this is a serious breach of security on the Amazon platform!

Did you see his order history etc then? I'm just concerned if that is what happened. 

4 hours ago, iggyiggs said:

I understand what you are saying but are you 100% sure it was a profile that you saw and it was his? If you are logged in with your account then you wouldn't be asked for psw and so on and you'd just see the German version of your account. It would seem very strange to me that you were logged in automatically into his account just by clicking on a link.

You have no cookies from his account on your device so how would that be even possible?

I have shared and clicked on links from Amazon and other websites while logged in or from people logged in and never experienced anything like this. 

If it was his profile this is a serious breach of security on the Amazon platform!

Did you see his order history etc then? I'm just concerned if that is what happened. 

As i said I can’t read his language . In his first post he posted a link to amazon . I clicked the link and it showed his item he was interested in . I noticed at the top of amazon page i saw his name same as i do when I’m signed into my own account . I thought it to be strange so i thought I’d click to see if anything would happened and it did change to a page with different info . I can’t guarantee it was his actual profile but I’ve seen the same similiar page on my account and it had links to different areas but the outline looked like it does when i click on my account that has links leading to profile , pw changes and payment changes . Thing is this , reguardless where it changed to , when i clicked his name it should have asked for a pw and it did not . I dealt with this enough on my own account to see the similarities . Since i warned him he logged out , i have not got the same results , instead when i click his name i get a request for pw . That’s how it should be . Now I don’t want to be rude but i know what happened cause im the one that found the problem by curiosity . I know about cookies , been knowing technology for 20 yrs . Things happen that sometimes can’t be explained . But I’m bowing out of our conversation cause I’m not going to keep carrying on and having to explain to you what i found out and you didn’t. The OP  solved the problem and it’s time to drop this conversation . Have a great day and clear skies . 

A spherical primary versus a parabolic...

main-qimg-42eb6e0e0bfb0ed8cadc806a307ba5

With a parabolic, all of the light gathered is directed towards a single focal point, and the best for the sharpest images.  But as another stated, with the Seben Newtonian's 700mm focal-length, that distance from the spherical primary to the eyepiece and eye is long enough to make its inherent shortcoming less noticeable.  In addition, the telescope is not a Jones-Bird simulation.  It's a bonafide Newtonian, and even the master's first mirror in 1668 A.D. was a spherical, as was his second.  The parabolic mirror finally appeared in 1721, and crafted by another.

It's now 2018.  :D

Still, if you think it's worth tinkering with, give it a go.

12 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

As i said I can’t read his language . In his first post he posted a link to amazon . I clicked the link and it showed his item he was interested in . I noticed at the top of amazon page i saw his name same as i do when I’m signed into my own account . I thought it to be strange so i thought I’d click to see if anything would happened and it did change to a page with different info . I can’t guarantee it was his actual profile but I’ve seen the same similiar page on my account and it had links to different areas but the outline looked like it does when i click on my account that has links leading to profile , pw changes and payment changes . Thing is this , reguardless where it changed to , when i clicked his name it should have asked for a pw and it did not . I dealt with this enough on my own account to see the similarities . Since i warned him he logged out , i have not got the same results , instead when i click his name i get a request for pw . That’s how it should be . Now I don’t want to be rude but i know what happened cause im the one that found the problem by curiosity . I know about cookies , been knowing technology for 20 yrs . Things happen that sometimes can’t be explained . But I’m bowing out of our conversation cause I’m not going to keep carrying on and having to explain to you what i found out and you didn’t. The OP  solved the problem and it’s time to drop this conversation . Have a great day and clear skies . 

Sorry if I sounded offensive. Didn't mean to be. I apologise. 

Archived