Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your dewcap?

F15Rules

I was "inspired" to start this light hearted thread by JeremyS, who bought a flexible lightweight dewshield as his Tak "manhole cover" solid aluminium dewcap affects the balance of his scope (I actually tend to remove my dewcap when observing - it really does improve the views!??).

So here is my Tak FS128 "manhole cover" next to the lightweight dewcap from my Vixen ED103s for scale.

Anyone else willing to show us theirs? Any protection for lens or mirror, solid or flexible, heavy or light, is allowed ?..

Dave

IMG_20180523_192320436.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

(I actually tend to remove my dewcap when observing - it really does improve the views!??). 

To borrow a line from Monty Python -- OOOH! WELL I NEVER!!! :D 

I once cut the middle out of a default SW 130mm cover, to turn it into a Bahtinov. They are actually surprisingly difficult to cut. I ended up drilling all the way round which took a long time! ;) 

John

24 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I was "inspired" to start this light hearted thread by JeremyS,

Oh my goodness - what have I done?

I need to find one of those new emojis for whatever it is

?

One of my chums owned a Takahashi Mewlon 180. These come with soft dew caps that fit over the end of the tube (no Tak personhole cover here!). When observing he actually wore it on his head. Trying to find a photo, but so far without success.....

mewlon cap.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Encouraged by Jeremy, and in a desperate bid to resist a ‘Show us your LensCoat’ thread, here is my Tak in its new covers, which protect it when packed down for air travel.

LensCoat covers are amazingly versatile products, I can see them popping up in all sorts of places in the house :) 

58E46322-F049-4715-A0C0-15B2628D3C70.jpeg

15B06EF3-CC90-4CA4-B80F-719AEE6B75F1.jpeg

D180E21E-134D-40E7-988C-AE5677CC32E0.jpeg

11C7B47E-EB6D-4FB2-9758-5B7E2445D5D9.jpeg

4 hours ago, Stu said:

LensCoat covers are amazingly versatile products, I can see them popping up in all sorts of places in the house

As recommended on here, I'm expecting a couple to arrive from Wex today, my scopes spend a lot of time set up in the garden and the metal lens caps wear away at the inside of the scope covers, hopefully these will provide a bit of padding as well as preventing the cap flying off and crashing to the ground when pulling the cover off.

Dave

Well I thought I could beat anything, but a shower cap???

My 400mm Prinz Galaxy (yes used for AP) - it's aluminium end cap is the bottom of a small fire-extinguisher, the middle of it is the dew shield. Gaffa tape and bits of flock provide a grip ?

DSCN0264.JPG

19 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well I thought I could beat anything, but a shower cap???

My 400mm Prinz Galaxy (yes used for AP) - it's aluminium end cap is the bottom of a small fire-extinguisher, the middle of it is the dew shield. Gaffa tape and bits of flock provide a grip ?

DSCN0264.JPG

Sorry Neil, yep the shower cap wins :)

Steve

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

That's gotta be for someone with a pretty big head. And French, too, looking at the print design.

Mmmmmmmmm.

Much better than the standard lid when dealing with secondary dew heater cables

22059AAA-BC15-4306-9943-F8CFC1EE6C98.jpeg

A bit late to the party, but here goes ..

Novosibirsk Instrument Making Plant's lens hood emblem in all it's glory (Новосибирский Приборостроительный Завод)

014.thumb.JPG.91d1ebf573a347ba5e76e5aae3df1f9b.JPG

013.thumb.JPG.76a8657f1f87b9a5b08dbe71a3471f1f.JPG

Archived