Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First time viewing

Hi all.. 

Well, according to my wife I've got a new addiction now! Just purchased my first telescope and had it delivered on Wednesday. A Dob 250mm flex tube, not got a clue what's what as yet but enjoying finding out. 

Started with the obvious moon, managed to find that one easy enough! Watched venus jiggle around for a while last night and amazingly identified a couple of simple stars in the recognisable constellations. Phew! Never felt so relaxed on an evening before. 

Need to get out and about before long as I want to look the other way but house then street lights don't help.  I've got a good view of the sky from sw to N so at least there is plenty to be on with. 

Anyway, enough gushing. Work beckons.. :icon_biggrin:

Jas

I recently got a 8'' dobs and got so many great views. If you can try, looking at the orion nebula, was the first nebula I saw, very easy to find and it looks so amazing.

Cheers chaps. Orion nebula it is next then! Shall look it up tonight then attempt to find it. 

I've got a reasonable eyepiece selection so should be able to get some good views when I find it.. 

Jas

19 minutes ago, RiponJas said:

Cheers chaps. Orion nebula it is next then! Shall look it up tonight then attempt to find it. 

I've got a reasonable eyepiece selection so should be able to get some good views when I find it.. 

Jas

I think you might struggle with the orion nebula at this time of the year.  At around 10pm it is very low on the horizon.

Try M51 - Whirlpool Galaxy. Located near 'The Plough'. Beautiful sight too. :thumbsup:

m51-.PNG.09ada68f58b2fd807631989d68229095.PNG

m51.thumb.PNG.4d15646386f9bcb862b8da9f19e310b3.PNG

Screen shots from Stellarium which if you haven't already, you should download as it's free. (or Cartes du Ciel) is another although I can't get to grips with that just yet.

Welcome to SGL by the way. :icon_biggrin:

Pete.

Many thanks for that info. I do struggle to get an Eastern view due to buildings and lighting galore,  a trip out is in order shortly I feel. 

I have downloaded stellarium but am yet to have a look at it. Also have a couple of phone apps to look at to. 

I'm sure that with a bit of patience I'll start to get some rewarding views. 

Not had chance to get out to view tonight but did pop out with the binoculars for a short while and at least I've managed to locate m51 which pleased me as it means I do actually recognise some areas of the sky :hello2:

Hopefully more clear skies will be around and I'll get the scope out and have a proper look. 

Been looking at the SkEye app on my phone and it seems to really with what I can see.. 

Could do without the 5 start for work or I'd be out rest of the night. 

While in the area, you could try M109 (40' from Phecda [γUMa]) practically overhead at about 11pm & M108 (about 1½° from Merak [βUMa]) with M97 a further 50' away on the same straight line through Merak>M108, which pass overhead just about 11.15pm. They should be fairly straight forward with a 10" dob.

Not sure if I should of gone for this scope first but I liked the look of it. Nearly bought the 300 but thought that might of been a tad excessive! Looks like a giant next to my sons little starter scope.. 

My son and his starter scope next to my shiny new dob

Light pollution naturally is an issue but thankfully the rear of my house isn't too bad as there are allotments between me and the next lot of house rears so no bright lights there. I was stood out with binoculars for a while last night and I can still see relatively faint stars so can't be all bad. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. 

Not been on for a while as been rather busy and my wife has decided to go and snap her achilles tendon which kind of keeps me occupied. 

But I have managed to purchase a few goodies to be on with time allowing.. Just bought a rather tasty HEQ5 mount and some big rings so I can go from a dob mount. Just need to buy another counterweight and we're off.. 

Also picked up a skywatcher 1145p on an eq1 mount for less than 70 is on great condition for my son to upgrade to from his 'toy' scope. 

Just need clear skies and a less demanding wife now ?

• 3 weeks later...

Jupiter will be due south at about 10.30, LP should not be a problem for Jupiter if you can get your scope in a position to observe it. I was once looking at Jupiter through a fairground big wheel with all of its lights on, still saw the bands and moons.

• 3 weeks later...

That's lovely looking dob! You will have many years of viewing pleasure with that.

I agree that after a hard days work, going out in the cold and peering into the dark night sky is a wonderful feeling.

You need to wait a few months to get a glimpse of M42, M45 and M31. Get your wife out at the scope for those and maybe she will understand and join you in your hobby! It's lovely seeing these things, but it's even nicer to show someone who's never seen them before!

Jas

Have had the 250mm collapsible dob for almost 10 years now, and first weapon of choice, especially when doing displays with my club for schools and scout/guide groups

To aim where want to view, just lay a laser pointer along the dovetail of the spotting scope, and fine tune from there

Solar viewing

The plastic lid has a small whole with its own cover

Just get some Baader film, and cut a small piece, and stick tape to under side of the lid

Position the lid top of the scope

Leave view finder off the scope

Attached images was taken during 2012 solar eclipse

Where I was we only had an 80% eclipse, and taken with mobile to eyepiece

Solar Eclipse.jpg

Archived