SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A perfectly good observatory... in bits!!!

swag72

10 hours ago, swag72 said:

I have been quite a swimmer in my time, but sadly this pool just isn't big enough to swim in......... A couple of strokes and you are across :( So I have taken to just bobbing about and cooling off. 

It just occurred to me that you probably know exactly the local pool I was talking about.  I reckon it has changed even less than the school pool (which is at least now under cover, unlike in my day).

James

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking really good, Sara.  It will make a huge difference, including the additional storage which is something so seemingly trivial but so great to have.  Look like you have better skies than my side, been totally clouded out since getting here.  Seems ironic that I come here to image and yet again am going to be logging on the the obsy back home tonight to do so.

Look forward to seeing the progress on this, all very exciting.

Cheers Ray..... The storage isn't getting much bigger than what was already there - Except they were very low, more like a hobbit cupboard! Steve gets the storage that has been built here and I will get the one on the opposite side of the stairs that is about half the size... but more than adequate :)

Good that despite all this upheavel I am (fingers crossed) still able to use the dual rig in the terrace, just got to get the extension cable out :)

1 hour ago, swag72 said:

Aren't you having good weather?

Peversely, yes, since I’m ill at the moment (AND I just bought some 2" filters from an excellent forum member this week.)

Tony  :sad:

Well done for taking the plunge to expand Sara.  I'm sure you've a mixture of excitement and anxiety . . .

Did you decide on the Talon6 roof controller in the end?  Also the AAG CW?

Steve and I have some familiarity with both these from home and e-Eye.  Antonio Perez is such a nice and very helpful guy too.

17 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Well done for taking the plunge to expand Sara.  I'm sure you've a mixture of excitement and anxiety . . .

Did you decide on the Talon6 roof controller in the end?  Also the AAG CW?

Steve and I have some familiarity with both these from home and e-Eye.  Antonio Perez is such a nice and very helpful guy too.

Do you know what Barry....... I was all set to automate and went down and checked out my mates automated roof..... But the more I thought about it, I decided not to. I need to go and switch the computers on, it's a 20m walk from my back door and it's the only exercise I get in the evening :D The more automated, the more there is to go wrong...... I've had enough of everything going wrong and battling everything, so I've decided to keep it simple.

I will open the roof by hand, I will switch on the computers by hand and even do a few more hands on things as required...... no one can say that my observatory is remote :D  :D  And with my rain alarm I will run out in the buff *shock* and pull the roof across (It will clear the TMB at it's highest point) 

I have built an Allsky today and also I'll get the AAG cloud sensor with wind thingie, for nothing more than interest really :)

Here's the end of Day 3 - The sheds are built now, just need internal rendering. The time today has slowed a little as the electrics for the sheds and observatory have been put in. Tomorrow the metal man is coming so that we can start to talk about the roof. The roof on each shed will have proper roofing tiles on top of the concrete'd bardo's. What you can't see here is that the area on the right of the picture will also be re-roofed, so the existing rood needs to be taken down and then redone. This is a tool shed / BBQ that is accessed from the opposite side. 

Day 3 end.jpg

End of Day 4.... Its been a little slower today..... There was only one builder and I was his labourer *shock* There's been quite some wall stuff going on behind the right hand shed, so that can't be seen from here. The sheds are really coming on now. The metal man came to look at what to do with the roof as well. The walls will be rendered in white, so that they don't need to be painted :)

Day 4 end.jpg

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

I'd definately end up in the pool and not by choice either :D

I'm looking forward to getting the pool filled up - Even if I don't use it much it does look nice when sunny and sparkling :) 

1.5 hours into Day 6....... Now we are moving up a gear visually :)  

Had a visit from another metal man and am awaiting a quote as the first guy wanted to charge what we thought was a silly price.

Day 6 1.jpg

Archived