Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters.thumb.jpg.b518052b915c2cf31f5f12e33ce0e9d2.jpg

swag72

A perfectly good observatory... in bits!!!

Recommended Posts

My observatory was built in 2014/15 and it has served me well. Somehow my kit seems to suffer from having it's own reproductive cycle and so I've now got a dual rig. It has been used on the terrace since November, but it's not idea. It wouldn't fit in the observatory and so it was time for an extension.......

I have gone from a perfectly functioning observatory to this ....... *shock* *crying* 

Sara_OO3.jpg

1.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope the extension work goes well, Sara :smile: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

extension??? you mean making a bigger observatory.....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good luck Sara, I'm looking forward to seeing the 'after' pics, i.e. those of the new observatory, as well as those from using it :icon_biggrin:

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking up radio astronomy from the size of that dish! :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, FLO said:

Hope the extension work goes well, Sara :smile: 

Thanks Steve :)

10 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

extension??? you mean making a bigger observatory.....

 

Yes it will be about double the original size.

10 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Good luck Sara, I'm looking forward to seeing the 'after' pics, i.e. those of the new observatory, as well as those from using it :icon_biggrin:

At the moment Geof I can't imagine it will ever look OK! 

4 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Taking up radio astronomy from the size of that dish! :D

Ha! That's the size satellite dish we need to pick up UK FreeSat :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, swag72 said:

double the original size

NICE!!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, swag72 said:

double the original size.

Definitely looking forward to see the end result.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those vibration suppression pads are a bit full-on :biggrin:

 

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 11.27.55.png

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Yes it will be about double the original size.

I think that he meant that its only an extension if something of the original remains intact lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I think that he meant that its only an extension if something of the original remains intact lol. 

One of the walls will remain and the original door 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FLO said:

Those vibration suppression pads are a bit full-on :biggrin:

 

Screen Shot 2018-04-19 at 11.27.55.png

Ha! Cheaper than proper ones at about 75 cents a bag! Actually they are more to steady it all in the winds that we get..... we were worried that the wind may knock it over...... suffice to say it held 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, swag72 said:

 

My observatory was built in 2014/15 and it has served me well. Somehow my kit seems to suffer from having it's own reproductive cycle and so I've now got a dual rig. It has been used on the terrace since November, but it's not idea. It wouldn't fit in the observatory and so it was time for an extension.......

If only....our kit multiplying has led to the spawning of further observatories! We have gone from one to three in as many years. 

 

 

Edited by MrsGnomus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

If only....our kit multiplying has led to the spawning of further observatories! We have gone from one to three in as many years. 

 

 

I don't have the space.... this is it 😊 Nowhere else to put another observatory

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with the build Sara. Hope it serves you well :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I don't have the space.... this is it 😊 Nowhere else to put another observatory

 

The swimming pool appears to be empty? :D

James

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JamesF said:

The swimming pool appears to be empty? :D

James

Had a clean and will be re-grouted while the builder is here. While I only use the pool for 6 weeks a year I'd not be without it.... even for another observatory 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it gets even worse .......

5.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Had a clean and will be re-grouted while the builder is here. While I only use the pool for 6 weeks a year I'd not be without it.... even for another observatory 😆

Is it really not warm enough to use for the rest of the year?

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JamesF said:

Is it really not warm enough to use for the rest of the year?

James

Goodness no!!! My parents pool is up to a balmy 15 degrees at the moment...... We don't get in until its 28!!! In the winter its down to about 7-9 degrees 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swag72 said:

And it gets even worse .......

5.JPG

Ahhh, I think I see one of the reasons that perhaps the heat retention discussed in another thread may not be such an issue for you.  The bricks used to build the walls are hollow, so they'll not store as much heat.  I did wonder if that might be the case.

James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, swag72 said:

Goodness no!!! My parents pool is up to a balmy 15 degrees at the moment...... We don't get in until its 28!!! In the winter its down to about 7-9 degrees 

Fair enough, to be honest.  28C is about the minimum you'd want unless you were swimming hard and 29C is much more comfortable.  It's surprising how different even half a degree feels.  (The heating at my local pool regularly struggles at the start of the winter and sometimes gets down close to 27C.  That feels very cold.)

I know there are people who swim in much colder water, but I reckon they do it because, like bashing your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop :D

James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Fair enough, to be honest.  28C is about the minimum you'd want unless you were swimming hard and 29C is much more comfortable.  It's surprising how different even half a degree feels.  (The heating at my local pool regularly struggles at the start of the winter and sometimes gets down close to 27C.  That feels very cold.)

I know there are people who swim in much colder water, but I reckon they do it because, like bashing your head against a brick wall, it feels so good when you stop :D

James

I have been quite a swimmer in my time, but sadly this pool just isn't big enough to swim in......... A couple of strokes and you are across :( So I have taken to just bobbing about and cooling off. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, swag72 said:

And it gets even worse .......

5.JPG

Ah ..... Now I understand why you're keeping the door. Nice innit ?  :rolleyes:

Dave.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

At the end of Day 1..... Also what you can't see here is that the pool was acid cleaned. On either side of the steps were small sheds that were low and had old wooden doors. These have been completely removed as they will be rebuilt. You can see the floor print on the left.... that will be one 'shed' at a standard height and on the right of the steps will be the second 'shed' - That will be mine for storage..... 

 

7.JPG

Edited by swag72
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.