Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A perfectly good observatory... in bits!!!

swag72

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wimps,

In my early school years, in Pontypridd, we had compulsory swimming lessons (for which I'm forever grateful), from beginning of April, till end of November (minus summer Holidays).

The pool was open air and unheated, as were the changing areas, this is the 'starter' pool and how it used to look before a recent makeover, but this doesn't show the pier, that was removed on safety grounds.Pontypridd’s paddling pool 

When more proficient, you then went onto the Lido Pool, still open air \ unheated. It even had a Ladies section 

Old photo of Pontypridd lido

I don't know how long ago it changed but they don't require current pupils to go through that now.  These days the pool is covered by an acrylic tunnel that can be opened up on those rare occasions when it's warm enough outside and even the changing rooms are indoors.  Parents who turn up to watch inter-school events still have to sit outside however.  I'm not sure if that's better or worse than having to sit so close to the pool that you can be soaked by a swimmer doing a couple of lengths of particularly energetic butterfly :)

James

We had an open air pool at school, dug by the boys, but just before my time. Didn't have to open it up, it was always open, and being a boys school changing facilities were the grassy banks around it. Could be a bit chilly, but I well remember (Illegally) skinny-dipping at 3 in the morning in the summer term.

I used to dread the school swimming pool sessions, always too cold for my liking. They used to chalk up the temperature of the day on a board at the entrance, you should have heard the groan at anything under 60F.     :eek:

Outdoor pools...my favourite pool EVER and a place I used to frequent was Greenbank swimming pool in Street, Somerset.

http://www.greenbankpool.co.uk/

Absolutely shocked to see that it's now heated!! It never was in the past...

Had many a happy time there - was there most Sundays/after school and a few mates' birthday parties...it used to have a lot of green spaces to lay your towel out, a great tuck shop and a massive diving board that was removed due to H&S legislation. There were some stunning lifeguards there, too...  :D

The metal work has begun!!

The roll off frame has been made and fitted. Here it's worth pointing out that the end of the observatory is at the right hand side of the door....... so there is enough space for the roof to roll off completely. It looks in the picture like the observatory *could* finish at the right hand side of the shed, but that is an aesthetic wall.

The made-to-measure door has been fitted as well.

Roof rails.jpg

2 hours ago, swag72 said:

The made-to-measure door has been fitted as well.

Complete with Spanish style made-to-measure door stop I see :angel4:

I love the white finish on the metal work, Sara.  Is it aluminium or powder coated steel of some sorts?  Looks great.

17 minutes ago, RayD said:

I love the white finish on the metal work, Sara.  Is it aluminium or powder coated steel of some sorts?  Looks great.

It's painted galvanised steel. Looks better than the old black stuff! 

23 minutes ago, swag72 said:

It's painted galvanised steel. Looks better than the old black stuff! 

It looks great and really blends in rather than standing out.  I can feel an idea theft coming on :angel4:

19 minutes ago, RayD said:

It looks great and really blends in rather than standing out.  I can feel an idea theft coming on :angel4:

If anything I've posted here gives anyone any ideas then the posts are worth it...... ???? That's what it's all about ?

Just as an addition (albeit it not an ideal picture) - You can see here the size increase now... The end wall now goes to the red vertical line. it has doubled my working space......

Increased size.jpg

5 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Just as an addition (albeit it not an ideal picture) - You can see here the size increase now... The end wall now goes to the red vertical line. it has doubled my working space......

Wow Sara, that's a huge increase, it looks superb - you could even get a bed in their too...!! More seriously, will the roof retract from the entire observatory area, where will it travel to, or will the area immediately inside the door remain covered when the roof retracts?

2 minutes ago, swag72 said:

It totally rolls off... it will travel on the rails on the right hand side of the picture. Just where the roof is on the track on the picture above 

ok, I was just thinking that the observatory area is twice as long, so you also need twice the length of rail for it to fully retract and it wasn't clear that there was sufficent room. What a great project, I bet you can't wait to get to work in it :thumbright:

This is the end of the day for the back of the build....... The roof is going to be made on Tuesday.....

There was a lot of touching up today which has taken time as well as a roof area and a door to the building under the observatory that has been changed. I am really pleased with what you can see here...... The builder has done a super job and the metal work so far is looking good. 

Day 8 2.jpg

That looks absolutely amazing, Sara.  Not surprised you're happy, I'd be delighted.

What's really nice is how it all blends in and manages to still look rustic, but is brand new.  

Great job.

Archived