NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Double the aperture

Littleguy80

As some of you will know, I recently acquired a lovely 10" SkyWatcher dob with custom made mount, flocked OTA and an upgraded Baader focuser from @steppenwolf. This is a big step up from the SkyWatcher Explorer 130M on an EQ2 mount that I've used for the last year or so. Last night's first light was a learning experience. There was a lot of moisture in the air, everything was soaked by the time I came in. The finder scope dewed up quite quickly and I really struggled to using it. I missed my trusty Telrad! I did have some good views though.

Tonight, I was better prepared. With my Telrad now mounted on the dob, I got the scope out early to take a look a Lunar X and Lunar V. My youngest son is studying space at school so I wanted go give him a look at the moon. My eldest daughter joined in too. We all really enjoyed playing spot the X. I grabbed some pictures so he could take them into school. We all headed inside for food and settling littles ones in bed.

At 7:30, I was back outside for some more serious viewing. The moon was obviously going to limit viewing the fainter targets but I had plenty of targets to test the new scope with. I started with M42. The green tint came through strongly with a nice sharp trapezium within it. I pushed the magnification up and was easily able to pick out the E star. I have tried and failed to see that little star more times than I can remember! It felt great to finally see it. I didn't see the F star but figured that would probably need a moonless night. Staying in Orion, I headed off to Sigma Orionis. The faint fourth star in this system had evaded me in the 130mm scope last week but appeared easily with direct vision in the 10" dob. 

Moving into Monoceros, I stopped at NGC 2264. This I found using the 9x50 finder. Without the dewing issues of the night before, I started to really appreciate having this extra finder. The Christmas tree cluster brought a smile to face as always. My eldest daughter popped out for a look at this one too. A really fun target for grown ups and kids alike. The Rosette nebula showed some nebulosity with the OIII filter but suffered a bit from the moon light. I'm really excited to see this under dark skies with the dob. Going for another fun cluster, I now observed NGC 2169, also known as the 37 cluster. The 37 was upside down in the big reflector but I still enjoyed it. 

I've always enjoyed planetary nebulas and decided upon the Eskimo nebula as my next target. At 150x, the nebula stood out really well. I next put in the 5mm BGO and the view absolutely knocked my socks off. The nebulosity was so well defined with a nice sharp central star easily seen with direct vision. It was like a @mikeDnight sketch and was by far the most impressive sight of the night. Stunning!

I observed M37 the previous night and even under the poor conditions it impressed. Last night and tonight, the thing that occurred to me was that the stars seem to be finer points of light than in the 130mm scope. M36, M37 and M38 were all observed with lovely pin point stars. Clouds were now starting to move in so I decided to finish up with some Lunar.

Using my 6mm BGO, I scanned the Lunar surface. The best way I can describe the sight is textured. Mountain rangers, craters rims and all kinds of features had a real sense of depth to them. This amount of magnification saw a noticeable drop in quality with the 130mm scope. The 10" dob gave brilliant sharp views. I considered getting my moon atlas to identify some of the features but I couldn't tear myself away. Eventually the cloud reach the moon and it was time to pack up.

Tonight gave me my first proper taste of life with a good sized dobsonian. The views were great, the mount was very easy to use after the EQ2. I did miss the slow motion controls on the EQ. I'm still mastering the smaller movements to track objects at higher magnification. That will come with practise though. The focuser is an absolute joy to use. The fine control is something I never had on my old scope. It was often a source of frustration when trying to get a good sharp image. I'm really, REALLY happy with my new scope. I think the sight of the Eskimo nebula tonight will stay with me for a long, long time!

Nice report.

I find that when the sky conditions line up, the views through the larger dobs are astounding, especially the moon and the planets... but at the other end of the stick, when the seeing and/or transparency is not good, you'll probably get better view with the 130... I find this to be true comparing my 14" dob to my 8" SCT.

Great report - glad the new scope is delivering stunning views!  I've a 10" dob too, and it is just a great all round scope on various DSO classes, and solar system targets.

Have you tried it on a glob yet? :)

Enjoy, and keep the reports coming!

41 minutes ago, niallk said:

Great report - glad the new scope is delivering stunning views!  I've a 10" dob too, and it is just a great all round scope on various DSO classes, and solar system targets.

Have you tried it on a glob yet? :)

Enjoy, and keep the reports coming!

Thank you! It’s off to a great start. I haven’t tried a glob yet. If the clouds cooperate, I’m hoping to give M3 a look with it tonight. I know globs are supposed to be amazing with larger apertures so I’m really looking forward to it :) 

Yes, the 10” dob is the Goldilocks of scopes. I have one as a grab and go. Love it!

You are going to have a lot of fun.

Next new moon. Markarain Chain or M13. Take a spare pair of socks out with you. Your first pair will be in the neighbour’s garden......

Paul

Well done Neil. It will be like starting all over again - can't beat an aperture increase for reigniting the fire.

The 10" must be treble the aperture of the 5" :) 

As for small dot stars, remember now you can see more (smaller, fainter) stars that were just not there before.

Wait until the moon has gone then your scope will deliver the goods...

11 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Well done Neil. It will be like starting all over again - can't beat an aperture increase for reigniting the fire.

The 10" must be treble the aperture of the 5" :) 

As for small dot stars, remember now you can see more (smaller, fainter) stars that were just not there before.

Wait until the moon has gone then your scope will deliver the goods...

Thanks, Alan. You are, of course, right on trebling the aperture. I'm confusing my terms/measurements! 

I definitely got a sense of more/fainter stars will cruising around. 

I really can't wait to get it to a dark site. Even the 130mm SkyWatcher was like a new scope under dark skies. I can't even imagine what it will do for the 10"!

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks, Alan. You are, of course, right on trebling the aperture. I'm confusing my terms/measurements! 

I definitely got a sense of more/fainter stars will cruising around. 

I really can't wait to get it to a dark site. Even the 130mm SkyWatcher was like a new scope under dark skies. I can't even imagine what it will do for the 10"!

Read up on ngc3941 location (in deep sky thread, it's near the Plough) then you can try for the supernova tonight. The moon won't block it out. And with 10" you should also read up on comets especially if you are on an early dawn raid session.

1 minute ago, alanjgreen said:

Read up on ngc3941 location (in deep sky thread, it's near the Plough) then you can try for the supernova tonight. The moon won't block it out. And with 10" you should also read up on comets especially if you are on an early dawn raid session.

I've been saving your post on NGC 3941 because I thought it should be achievable in the new scope. I haven't tried for it yet as I thought I'd need darker skies! Thanks for the tip! I loved seeing Comet Johnson last year so will definitely look up some comets to go for! 

22 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I'm really, REALLY happy with my new scope. I think the sight of the Eskimo nebula tonight will stay with me for a long, long time!

Great report, Neil, I am so pleased to hear that you are pleased with the 'scope and I now know it is in very good hands!

18 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Great report, Neil, I am so pleased to hear that you are pleased with the 'scope and I now know it is in very good hands!

Thank you, Steve. It’s a brilliant scope! I’m sure I’ll have many happy years use from it :) 

33 minutes ago, alan potts said:

A very nice report and congratulations on you new scope, 20inch next then:icon_biggrin:.

Funnily enough, I showed my wife a picture of a 20” dob last night and told her that’s the next step! I received the expected shake of the head ;) 

4 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Funnily enough, I showed my wife a picture of a 20” dob last night and told her that’s the next step! I received the expected shake of the head ;) 

She will be less traumatused then if you get a mere 16 inch ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived