SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

7 hours ago, NVDW said:

Yeah the wooden tripod is kinda tiny. My GP is on an AL110 now :)

I have the same tripod for my Polaris, it's for Newtonians so that the eyepiece is at a convenient height when seated. Not so convenient for long fracs, I put  breeze blocks under the feet to raise it up a little.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, callisto said:

Nice though 😊👍

Managed a side by side with the A80m and SD81s last week when we had the clear spell. Still surprising how well the old achro holds it's own. Tried selling it but they're just not in fashion anymore with all the ED glass around these days. I'm glad it didn't sell as I'm keeping it for solar and doubles.👍

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Managed a side by side with the A80m and SD81s last week when we had the clear spell. Still surprising how well the old achro holds it's own. Tried selling it but they're just not in fashion anymore with all the ED glass around these days. I'm glad it didn't sell as I'm keeping it for solar and doubles.👍

My 80M is pin sharp... not getting rid of that :thumbsup:

• Like 3

I recieved this beautiful little scope earlier today, courtesy of F15Rules (Dave). It's a vintage Carton equatorial refractor, though I'm not certain of its age. I was thrilled as I unpackaged the scope, lifting the lid to the original box only to find a good as new Carton cleaning cloth still in its unopened bag. I'm easily pleased!

IMG_20220406_173224.thumb.jpg.636e06afd34542b4867b1546d528d1c6.jpgIMG_20220406_173249.thumb.jpg.5343b81ae0d3326a56bc4ba3bf8a6822.jpg

At this point I began to reminisce about my first scope; a 60mm Prinz Astral, and relived in my mind the moment when I opened its box and my dear old mum calling " Michael, leave your toy your tea's ready!" I was 18 years old and it was no toy, at least in my eyes. I wished she was still here to call me in for my tea!

Back to the Carton:  After assembling the mount I had to tweak the RA worm as there was some slop in it, but other than that the scope was almost brand new in appearance. I don't know how many previous custodians there have been for this scope, but they have certainly looked after it. The eyepieces are simple HM's and the diagonal is a prism. There is no barlow supplied with this scope, but it does come with a very nice solar projection screen, which again reminded me of my Prinz Astral with which I made many sketches of Sun spots.

The sky was cloudy this evening so it was looking pretty grim for a first light, however around 11pm I let my dog out into the garden and noticed the Moon in the west. I grabbed the Carton and aimed it at the Moon. Wow what a beautiful view! I had a 0.96" 25mm plossl that gave a wonderful low power view that was razor sharp. Then I swapped to the 6mm HM, and despite the limited eye relief, again the view though high power, was razor sharp and detailed. It's hard to express just how good it looked for fear of sounding like its an exaggeration, so all I'll say is that this 60mm achromat as far as the moon is concerned, is awesome and I can't wait for a clear night with the Moon and brighter planets, as well as a clear day and some solar observing. 🌛☀️

The only downside to this set-up is the tripod is rather short, so I may swap it for a Unitron tripod that I have.

1935736837_2022-04-0620_21_35.thumb.jpg.c6a421e75c5b5b4e0b7c95a7ebc9d8d8.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

That looks and sounds  a great telescope Mike.  

One thing though, it's not a Vixen is it!?

🤔  😅

That's very perceptive of you Paul. I did it to see who is paying attention and who isn't. You won!

Actually, it in the wrong thread but never mind. Too late now.

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

That's very perceptive of you Paul. I did it to see who is paying attention and who isn't. You won!

I always pay close attention to your posts Mike, they are always so interesting 🙂.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Franklin said:

Spare room starting to look like a Vixen showroom at the moment.

20220402_153853.jpg

20220402_153836.jpg

Fabulous collection Tim, such a nice change from Takitis, too (sorry Jeremy😂..) as a very happy Tak owner, I've always found Vixen scopes just as attractive to look at as Taks..

Now, where's the nearest underground shelter?🤪🥴😂

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Franklin said:

Spare room starting to look like a Vixen showroom at the moment.

20220402_153853.jpg

20220402_153836.jpg

They do look fabulous as a threesome. Bet you spent a while making sure they were lined up perfectly 👍 :) I do love my FL102S, I’ll pop it on the GP-DX/HAL130 and post a picture up when I get a chance. Must use it more often.

• Like 4

You guys are too slow! I have put it up for sale a couple of times in the past and no one took the bait! Hanging onto it now though!

EDIT Admittedly it was at a fairly high ‘do I really want to sell this?’ price!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Actually Mike, I did spot it, but as I was the starter of this thread, and as you were the buyer of the scope, I decided to cut you some friendly slack!👍😂

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Spelling correction
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 07/02/2022 at 03:33, Roy Challen said:

I have the same tripod for my Polaris, it's for Newtonians so that the eyepiece is at a convenient height when seated. Not so convenient for long fracs, I put  breeze blocks under the feet to raise it up a little.

I got the same tripod with the GP I bought last year... nice tripod, but too small for me, so I've also popped it on the Uni 28.... photos to follow next time I set it up outside 😁

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/04/2022 at 18:51, mikeDnight said:

I recieved this beautiful little scope earlier today, courtesy of F15Rules (Dave). It's a vintage Carton equatorial refractor, though I'm not certain of its age. I was thrilled as I unpackaged the scope, lifting the lid to the original box only to find a good as new Carton cleaning cloth still in its unopened bag. I'm easily pleased!

IMG_20220406_173224.thumb.jpg.636e06afd34542b4867b1546d528d1c6.jpgIMG_20220406_173249.thumb.jpg.5343b81ae0d3326a56bc4ba3bf8a6822.jpg

At this point I began to reminisce about my first scope; a 60mm Prinz Astral, and relived in my mind the moment when I opened its box and my dear old mum calling " Michael, leave your toy your tea's ready!" I was 18 years old and it was no toy, at least in my eyes. I wished she was still here to call me in for my tea!

Back to the Carton:  After assembling the mount I had to tweak the RA worm as there was some slop in it, but other than that the scope was almost brand new in appearance. I don't know how many previous custodians there have been for this scope, but they have certainly looked after it. The eyepieces are simple HM's and the diagonal is a prism. There is no barlow supplied with this scope, but it does come with a very nice solar projection screen, which again reminded me of my Prinz Astral with which I made many sketches of Sun spots.

The sky was cloudy this evening so it was looking pretty grim for a first light, however around 11pm I let my dog out into the garden and noticed the Moon in the west. I grabbed the Carton and aimed it at the Moon. Wow what a beautiful view! I had a 0.96" 25mm plossl that gave a wonderful low power view that was razor sharp. Then I swapped to the 6mm HM, and despite the limited eye relief, again the view though high power, was razor sharp and detailed. It's hard to express just how good it looked for fear of sounding like its an exaggeration, so all I'll say is that this 60mm achromat as far as the moon is concerned, is awesome and I can't wait for a clear night with the Moon and brighter planets, as well as a clear day and some solar observing. 🌛☀️

The only downside to this set-up is the tripod is rather short, so I may swap it for a Unitron tripod that I have.

1935736837_2022-04-0620_21_35.thumb.jpg.c6a421e75c5b5b4e0b7c95a7ebc9d8d8.jpg

My first telescope was a PRINZ 60mm too. Got it on Christmas Day 1968, and then it was cloudy until  1st January. Wonderful memories. Enjoy the scope.

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Franklin said:

What a cute little counterweight🤣.

Yes it's from the Vixen Polaris 🤪 the standard counterweights are too heavy for the 135mm set up. The offset motors act as a counterbalance up to a couple of kilos or so

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 900SL said:

Yes it's from the Vixen Polaris 🤪

45 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Yes, I've got a 1kg weight, it came with my AP mount.

Really? I have a Polaris, those weights don't look like mine.

IMG_20220429_203535989.jpg

Edited by Roy Challen

On 24/04/2022 at 15:43, Franklin said:

SP FL102S f/8.8. Don't really know much about the history on this one, other than it originated from the French market (Perl Vixen). Oh, and it knocks the socks off my achros.

20220423_131720.jpg

Beautiful scope, I have one just like it; fabulous views and a lovely bit of history too.

• Like 2