Jump to content

2052839955_Mobilephonebanner.jpg.a502a319d7033354d442937f2edd0c2c.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Every refractor man is allowed one reflector :)

This is right on the stated limit for this mount but I think it'll cope with it. Be interesting to check out it's stability under high power, though I've had no clear sky for weeks now!

Regardless, I think it looks a lovely combination :)

MalcolmIMG_20220527_163015046.thumb.jpg.e89e107a3dd1a301b66f61d13321bd37.jpg

Is that an M210 Malcolm?
Looks great ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿปย 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Every refractor man is allowed one reflector :)

This is right on the stated limit for this mount but I think it'll cope with it. Be interesting to check out it's stability under high power, though I've had no clear sky for weeks now!

Regardless, I think it looks a lovely combination :)

MalcolmIMG_20220527_163015046.thumb.jpg.e89e107a3dd1a301b66f61d13321bd37.jpg

Amazing setup! Your wall paint almost matches the Tak-blue! A word of caution - this may attract other specimens of the same kind. We have already seen a starting Tak invasion in another thread recentlyโ€ฆ

maybe this topic needs a new sub-forum!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Franklin said:

Lovely setup Malcolm, if the AP struggles in EQ mode you should try it in AltAz mode. You'd only need to buy the APZ base adaptor and it will transform the AP into the APZ (using the same AP weight bar). I did this and haven't regretted it at all, super slick AltAz grab n go and it puts the weight capacity up a notch.

Great tip thanks @Franklin, I did not realise you could do that. There's always one more thing to buy :)

Malcolm

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Is that an M210 Malcolm?
Looks great ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿปย 

Thanks @JeremyS, it's actually a 180.ย  I was scared off by the extra size and cost of the 210. And judging by the reaction of my partner when this one arrived, I think I made the right decision :)

Malcolm

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Yes, from this to this with this.

ย 

20220125_170827.jpg

20220415_133201.jpg

20220415_113917.jpg

Two beautiful setups! Do you often swap between the two configurations?

Is it as stable in AltAz as equitorial? I have been very impressed how steady it was with the 100DC.

Malcolm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

Two beautiful setups! Do you often swap between the two configurations?

Is it as stable in AltAz as equitorial? I have been very impressed how steady it was with the 100DC.

Malcolm

To be honest its been staying in alt-az because a) it gets more use and b) i've got the GP2 set up on another tripod for the longer sessions.

According to the Vixen spec the AP is rated at 6kg and the APZ at 8kg, but I think this is only correct when used with the manual drives. I think the ratings reflect the capacity of the motors rather than the actual mount itself.

I was lucky in that the AP I bought used had been upgraded with the DEC motor by the previous owner and the original manual DEC was included in the sale. At some expense I bought a second manual RA and APZ base so I can have it in AP/APZ single/dual axis drive or completely manual. It's such a lovely set up I felt I needed to futureproof it, just in case Vixen bring out a SuperAP and discontinue the present motor modules, like they did with the MT-1 motors for the GP mounts. So, if I step on the StarBook 1 controller and break it or a fault with a motor developes at least I will still have a super smooth manual Eq/AltAz grab n go mount to use.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Every refractor man is allowed one reflector :)

This is right on the stated limit for this mount but I think it'll cope with it. Be interesting to check out it's stability under high power, though I've had no clear sky for weeks now!

Regardless, I think it looks a lovely combination :)

MalcolmIMG_20220527_163015046.thumb.jpg.e89e107a3dd1a301b66f61d13321bd37.jpg

Beautiful!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Franklin said:

To be honest its been staying in alt-az because a) it gets more use and b) i've got the GP2 set up on another tripod for the longer sessions.

According to the Vixen spec the AP is rated at 6kg and the APZ at 8kg, but I think this is only correct when used with the manual drives. I think the ratings reflect the capacity of the motors rather than the actual mount itself.

I was lucky in that the AP I bought used had been upgraded with the DEC motor by the previous owner and the original manual DEC was included in the sale. At some expense I bought a second manual RA and APZ base so I can have it in AP/APZ single/dual axis drive or completely manual. It's such a lovely set up I felt I needed to futureproof it, just in case Vixen bring out a SuperAP and discontinue the present motor modules, like they did with the MT-1 motors for the GP mounts. So, if I step on the StarBook 1 controller and break it or a fault with a motor developes at least I will still have a super smooth manual Eq/AltAz grab n go mount to use.

Some food for thought there! I think I'll have to tighten the clutches with the extra weight and I presume that will put more stress on the motors. I have the manual Dec control sitting unused but it would be nice to have the manual RA too, just in case, as you say :)

It's a little pricey but for me it ticks all the boxes: works off USB power or AA batteries, very portable, no goto, easily slewed by hand and looks fab :)

Malcolm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

It's a little pricey but for me it ticks all the boxes: works off USB power or AA batteries, very portable, no goto, easily slewed by hand and looks fab :)

Malcolm

Indeed, I've admired the AP mount from afar and would never have purchased a new one at the current prices but I was offered a nearly new example with DEC motor upgrade, clutch levers and a polar-meter for 50% of retail and I just couldn't resist. I'm glad I didn't because it is an amazing, one of a kind, piece of kit. Also, it can be hooked up to the StarBook 10 if goto is required, though Vixen do not endorse this. I read about it over on CN

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I finally got around to getting the SW EQ5 extension pillar that fits my GP mount - I'll be using the A81M more often now.

IMG_20220530_202212383.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd show off some details of my old Super Polaris DX from the eighties... The old lady is still as strong as ever!

I know the controller is an aftermarket one, but really a match made in/for heaven!

Call it what you want (No - it is NOT called "Mount P__n")ย ๐Ÿ˜Šย ๐Ÿ˜‡ย ๐Ÿคฃ

IMG_2644.thumb.JPG.f2186ad41bd070ac638e5e8cc367e4af.JPGIMG_2628.thumb.jpg.03a9fd28e4430d755eb6ab495151bd42.jpgIMG_2638.thumb.JPG.c1ca7bd2e174e4f558884b03030d5064.JPGIMG_2634.thumb.JPG.f0781b8081418cb2754b2301b40639a3.JPGIMG_2640.thumb.JPG.77f6c28e8a6ec164b1c40d63186d93ce.JPGIMG_2639.thumb.jpg.e6b8b4cb6133165182dfcfea1b164db4.jpgIMG_2632.thumb.jpg.f3b318bd2b6fd9b26abfabf55d2021f0.jpgIMG_2641.thumb.JPG.a1679523b5f7c90db927652e1e89006a.JPGIMG_2629.thumb.JPG.67ccc32e9abb30ce0ee011081a9c8be5.JPGIMG_2635.thumb.jpg.90c4eb8e0e3612941c2a6d61e12ee0c1.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 11/06/2022 at 21:02, Froeng said:

Thought I'd show off some details of my old Super Polaris DX from the eighties... The old lady is still as strong as ever!

I know the controller is an aftermarket one, but really a match made in/for heaven!

Call it what you want (No - it is NOT called "Mount P__n")ย ๐Ÿ˜Šย ๐Ÿ˜‡ย ๐Ÿคฃ

IMG_2644.thumb.JPG.f2186ad41bd070ac638e5e8cc367e4af.JPGIMG_2628.thumb.jpg.03a9fd28e4430d755eb6ab495151bd42.jpgIMG_2638.thumb.JPG.c1ca7bd2e174e4f558884b03030d5064.JPGIMG_2634.thumb.JPG.f0781b8081418cb2754b2301b40639a3.JPGIMG_2640.thumb.JPG.77f6c28e8a6ec164b1c40d63186d93ce.JPGIMG_2639.thumb.jpg.e6b8b4cb6133165182dfcfea1b164db4.jpgIMG_2632.thumb.jpg.f3b318bd2b6fd9b26abfabf55d2021f0.jpgIMG_2641.thumb.JPG.a1679523b5f7c90db927652e1e89006a.JPGIMG_2629.thumb.JPG.67ccc32e9abb30ce0ee011081a9c8be5.JPGIMG_2635.thumb.jpg.90c4eb8e0e3612941c2a6d61e12ee0c1.jpg

Lovely setup!

..and quite rare, I think? I've never seen an SP in DX format, only the GP.

Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

And now with mount.

I'm going to have to work out a better attachment method - see if I can get a puck/clamp attached to the old mount head.

IMG_20220709_222451446.jpg

and perhaps a heavier counterweight!

Edited by Pixies
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I'm going to have to work out a better attachment method - see if I can get a puck/clamp attached to the old mount head.

ย 

ADM do one for the SP, not cheap but will hold a longer vixen bar better. Another alternative which I opted for, was to use hinged rings and just leave them on the mount.

ย 

Web capture_9-7-2022_2398_www.admaccessories.com.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...looks great!๐Ÿ‘

And my old SP102m perched on my Tak EQ mount a couple of nights ago, as per the "show us your setup in action at night thread"..๐Ÿ˜Š

Mine has the old, original rings on like yours, which I've kept for originality..but if you are likely to take the scope off the mount fairly often then I agree with Tim (@Franklin) that hinged rings are a more practical solution๐Ÿ‘

..and a larger counterweight will also enhance the setup too๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Ž

Dave

image.png.6b210c4eb0e6c6a747eb6ddd5f305a29.png

IMG_20220707_212044549_HDR.thumb.jpg.07df749f9f22eace74ae98b1ad152d35.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought a used Vixen made Tasco 8V on a New Polaris Mount. It is actually my second NP as the first was incomplete. I'm particularly happy the mount came with a polarscope as these are quite rare now. The OTA is a Jones-Bird. I've read that these Tascos have a better reputation than later J-B scopes - the additional corrector is attached to the secondary and not the focuser. Daytime views were sharp but I'll have to see how it performs under the stars.ย 

ย 

ย 

IMG_20220727_151341677_compress77~5.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Spent the afternoon, err... keeping warm... in the shade of the shed yesterday playing with my lathe to make the remaining five replacement bolts for my SP tripod...

P1080537.JPG.8eafd0d93a30c86ca281781f4e0c07e5.JPG

A 40mm length of B&Q's finest M8 studding, an M8 wing nut and a threaded bush (about 8mm thick) made from 1/2 inch steel bar drilled and tapped M8.

P1080542.JPG.39554572e995ede73be565a58eee67da.JPG

All done... no more fumbling around for an Allen key in the dark :)ย 

P1080544.JPG.013063c6746305306560dd42fe2e46bf.JPG

I still wound't call an SP and 102mm scope 'grab and go' but it's now less hassle and more likely to get out.

Now... any suggestions for how to make the original sheet metal 'spider' less annoying? - mine seems to have a penchant for detaching the arms at inopportune moments. It's probably upside down too but that was a previous change to reduce the frequency of it falling apart.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MercianDabbler said:

Spent the afternoon, err... keeping warm... in the shade of the shed yesterday playing with my lathe to make the remaining five replacement bolts for my SP tripod...

P1080537.JPG.8eafd0d93a30c86ca281781f4e0c07e5.JPG

A 40mm length of B&Q's finest M8 studding, an M8 wing nut and a threaded bush (about 8mm thick) made from 1/2 inch steel bar drilled and tapped M8.

P1080542.JPG.39554572e995ede73be565a58eee67da.JPG

All done... no more fumbling around for an Allen key in the dark :)ย 

P1080544.JPG.013063c6746305306560dd42fe2e46bf.JPG

I still wound't call an SP and 102mm scope 'grab and go' but it's now less hassle and more likely to get out.

Now... any suggestions for how to make the original sheet metal 'spider' less annoying? - mine seems to have a penchant for detaching the arms at inopportune moments. It's probably upside down too but that was a previous change to reduce the frequency of it falling apart.

You need to get the triangular tray. It helps with stability too.

image.thumb.png.bbd16b7fbba419b135e58703a61757af.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

ร—
ร—
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.