Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

8 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks a fantastic scope @Deadlake

You might want to blank Out your address details on the box, though.

I agree with Jeremy on both counts - great scope !

I have edited your post to remove the image that shows your address. Feel free to add one with the address blanked out.

Hope that's OK :smiley:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

I agree with Jeremy on both counts - great scope !

I have edited your post to remove the image that shows your address. Feel free to add one with the address blanked out.

Hope that's OK :smiley:

Thanks for that, no problem...

• Like 1

Here are my two Cats on their Vixen mounts. At the back you can see the trusty old Celestron C8 on its Great Polaris mount, both getting on for 25 years old (but not yet showing the EQ-5 Synscan upgrade), and the more recent Meade SN6 Schmidt-Newton on the Vixen GP-DX mount I bought from @Stu, complete with the SkySensor 2000 PC controller.  Both superb mounts.

IMG_20200331_195838.thumb.jpg.4c7eb48c6542f098aaea1d60ca1241d3.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Lack of posts, so here is a new Vixen SD103S. Have been enjoying it this summer. 

Thinking of getting a Vixen Mount either an SXD2 or SXP2, anyone got one?

8974F1BE-4FFA-499A-95B0-9699AB1C7316.jpeg

65499BC1-2938-4993-959A-13C0655B0AD5.jpeg

07DC8073-670E-4A25-A635-1F041C299864.jpeg

E0240F75-52A4-41CA-A310-3DB642F2E630.jpeg

49101D0E-B052-4430-9585-4138839DB934.jpeg

D78E05CC-208D-4248-A8EE-C12D6D52BFC5.jpeg

I have a Vixen ED102SS F/6.5 which dates from around 2000. Obviously the optics have changed to F/7.7 but otherwise your scope looks like a longer version of mine :smiley:

vixorigfoc01.JPG

• Like 5

Its must be at least 15 years since ive owned this scope, sold to a forum member a number of years ago, wonder where it is now.

Anyway this is the Vixen 108 DED F5, I think it was Vixens take on the TAK FSQ, Petzval design with a huge imaging circle,  I attached a Mamiya 645 camera to it back in the days of film. 

M31.jpg

scope.jpg

Edited by Astroscot2
add photos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 04/04/2020 at 14:54, Alan White said:

I had to post a Happy Picture, me the ED103s and WL action today.
Some happiness in a time of worry, which was much needed.
And oh me oh my, balder than I thought, but I have clipped the hair today, honest.

IMG_1445.thumb.JPG.b474f29ec3a9be8f823e3f02a8bb9f05.JPG

That image is like looking at my dear Dad, even how the hair is missing.

How I've missed this Poster Boy for Vixen pic' until now Alan, I really don't know. I can only apologise.  Looking good!  Hair is overrated anyway, and if you've any doubt about that just watch a movie or two from the 70's. Those hairstyles are cringeworthy! :confused3:

• Haha 3

Posted elsewhere, but here is a shot of my recently acquired Vixen GPD mount, sporting my also recently acquired Towa 80mm f/15 in solar guise.

The GPD2 came complete with a working Skysensor 2000 PC which interfaces nicely with my SkyFi unit and SkySafari. 

I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually significantly less effort to get the 25 or so year old SkySensor unit to work with SkySafari than it was to get the relatively new AZ GTi to work.

IMG_20200828_081559.thumb.jpg.2f0a21420a04184c9df30523154c7399.jpg

IMG_20200828_081340.thumb.jpg.0b13daa8f6e98fe7315c9900ab35ae90.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Recently acquired SXP2 mount, however in the last month I've not found a single clear night to use it on. How spoilt over the summer, when just about every night was good.
IMG_3777.thumb.jpeg.7cfb03ec1ab2e68b96e619472e323afd.jpeg

Will take heavier, maybe a 130 mm APO would look good on it.

• Like 10

Posted in the ‘in action at night’ thread already but belongs here too. Vixen FL102S on a Vixen GP mount with DD3 controller and dual axis drives. Lovely views of Mars last night.

D951DA38-CF7D-4BEE-A8E8-6C7FF6A22CF1.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Recently acquired SXP2 mount, however in the last month I've not found a single clear night to use it on. How spoilt over the summer, when just about every night was good.
IMG_3777.thumb.jpeg.7cfb03ec1ab2e68b96e619472e323afd.jpeg

Will take heavier, maybe a 130 mm APO would look good on it.

lovely this set up...  bet it's a joy to use!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Posted in the ‘in action at night’ thread already but belongs here too. Vixen FL102S on a Vixen GP mount with DD3 controller and dual axis drives. Lovely views of Mars last night.

D951DA38-CF7D-4BEE-A8E8-6C7FF6A22CF1.jpeg

As Meg Ryan once said... "yes, Yes...... YES!"  

I do love the sound and look of this set up!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

When we have the weather. Very quite in operation compared with other mounts even with Rowan belts drives added.

Star book controller or other..?  I've only had a GP driven mount, and that is quiet...  even on max slew.. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Star book controller or other..?  I've only had a GP driven mount, and that is quiet...  even on max slew.. 

Came with a star book 10. Which for visual is great as does not get in the way. Can use with a third party app via wifi. Did think about getting an Avalon reverse mount, but really dedicated to the AP not visual. Rainbow mounts are good, but does not have the payload capacity. 

Thought it was time to rebalance the mix of refractors  with a catadioptric or two. So here is an OMC 140 on SXW,  a VMC200L (shown with EEA), and a VC200L  both on an SXD2. The OMC was very good indeed but not for a wider view. The VMC200L was terrific on axis (eg for lunar and planetary) despite comments about 'thick vanes'. In contrast the VC200L is very well corrected right to the edge, even on visual, for extended objects (eg open clusters). The price difference has narrowed so I suggest a VC200L if buying new, but for value do not turn down a good used VMC! Collimation done in the correct order and  with care (Vixen USA instructions) will last for years (in my case). Star Book Ten? it means Heaven and is a wonderful device for cruising and searching without a  laptop or tablet, even around the moon. I have also kept my LVW eyepieces 🙂.

IMG_20200413_203532_BURST02 (2).jpg

P4190202.JPG

P7161357.JPG

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my Vixen 102M earlier this evening (before the fluffy stuff moved in).  An old scope, on an old WO/AOK EZtouch, on an old Berlebach Report 2042 (at a bargain price on eBay!).  And why not - it all works.

Took a peek at the moon - it is so restful, and then Jupiter - just resplendent with moons scattered across and bands on the surface - and then Saturn - Cassini division and a blurry portion on the disk (?).

Want to continue to tweak the Vixen a bit - a Telrad (being searched for), a new visual back adapter to allow for fine-focus (awaited from FLO), and a new 1.25" diagonal w compression bands (awaited in the post tomorrow from another SGLer), and I think it will be done.  (Well, then a stop-spreader for the tripod and a little EP tray...its never done is it).

Stay safe all.

V1Iy+OJ9Sr+Pa4G7Dv33gA.jpg

XS5EmKheTSeYFcyJZhU9lg.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vineyard said:

Want to continue to tweak the Vixen a bit - a Telrad (being searched for), a new visual back adapter to allow for fine-focus (awaited from FLO), and a new 1.25" diagonal w compression bands (awaited in the post tomorrow from another SGLer), and I think it will be done.  (Well, then a stop-spreader for the tripod and a little EP tray...its never done is it).

I'm curious... why the new diagonal?

2 hours ago, MercianDabbler said:

I'm curious... why the new diagonal?

The current one uses a single set screw to hold the EP (or PM or BV) and itself also threads into the visual back via one set screw.  And that gives me the hee-bee-gee-bees because the grip isn't strong enough to stop either rotating.  Nothing's fallen out yet but I really don't want to take the chance.  So am switching to new visual back & diagonal that each have compression bands for a proper grip (the fine focus on the visual back is an added bonus).  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

My only other piece of Vixen kit. A first-gen (I think) Porta mount.  From WL viewing earlier this afternoon. I have tried to even put the 102M on this - it can handle the weight without a problem but my arms are not that long 😂

+CUVa+V1TlW+Z5pCroAO5w.jpg

• Like 8

A recent acquisition for me, a Vixen Porta ii via SGL Classifieds.

I think this is the Porta ii as the head is detachable from the tripod legs, but the logo on the Alt Axis just says "Porta."

This came complete with wooden legs from an Astro-Engineering AZTech tripod based on the label as well as the tabletop adaptor.

Here it is on WL Solar duty with my WO ZS70.

IMG_20201106_124548.thumb.jpg.0d9cbd2d67b00232ab398dd213d1d7c2.jpg

I've tried all manner of Giro-type Alt Az mounts but have never really got on with them that well. 

This little Porta has showed me that I'm happiest with Slow-mo controls and the very brief solar session I had today was an absolute pleasure.

This mount ticks more  of my grab-and-go boxes so I'm very happy with it.

Edited by AdeKing
  • Like 5

• 10 months later...
On 22/01/2020 at 07:37, UKRoman said:

Hi All.

This is my first post on the forums, and what better place to start. After nearly a 20 year absence from practical Astronomy I thought I'd dip my toe back in to see what's changed. So in early December I purchased a Celestron Nextstar Evolution 9.25. As luck would have it it's been pretty cloudy on every occasion I've had the opportunity to get out, so I've only used it once. That got me thinking about my first and only other scope, which I bought in 1992 and I seem to recall having to wait 6 weeks for clear skies before I could use that for the first time. I remember having great fun with it all those years ago. Anyway after some rummaging through cupboards and under beds I finally tracked down all the parts; a Vixen FL102S on a Super Polaris mount. On reassembling it I was quite surprised that it seems to be in very good condition. However compared to modern telescopes with Go To capabilities, the motor drives on the SP mount are very antiquated and slow. Although they do seem to be working. That said, I decided that whilst I wait for clear skies I'd rejuvenate the old girl with a new mount and focuser. 

870293599_Telescope-VixenFL102S.thumb.jpg.0b97643096302bf2b8a52a26155b1aa2.jpg

The new mount is Skywatcher AZ-EQ6. I've also fitted a Moonlite focuser to replace the original, which seemed to wobble and grind slightly when moving. The Baadar Sky Surfer V RDF is a new addition to replace the original 6x30 finder, which I never liked. The additional white tube rings serve dual purpose; the rear one now provides a carry handle and the front one is covering up a few small marks on the OTA. The final accessory is a 2 inch diagonal.  The wooden box in the picture background is a wonderful storage box for the OTA that my Dad made for me as a birthday present when I first got the scope. All-in-all I'm quite excited at the prospect of trying the old Vixen alongside the new Celestron. All I need now is clear skies :-).

This is a precious telescope, carry it like a newborn and don’t ever give it up, having said that…..dibs.

• Like 2

Is it possible to have a mount as a best friend? I don't know why I'm asking because I know the answer is yes. I think we might go on holiday together at some point.

It works flawlessly. I love it! Now I just want to get an additional scope with a bit more focal length and I'll be happy for a very long time. 

IMG_0759.JPG

• Like 6