Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

4 minutes ago, Franklin said:

That old Vixen 102M is a well travelled scope Dave, I picked it up years ago from a guy in Scotland!

Clear skies.

Cheers Tim.

Interesting to know that the scope is returning to its roots!

Let's hope it's home country rewards us with some clear skies! 🌌🔭

Dave

• Like 2

My new Vixen grab and go, FL55ss on Porta II. Hoping it will fit in a rucksack so I can get it out under dark skies.

The Porta is still a little big and bulky so I'm planning on getting it set up on the Polarie with a photo-tripod.

20220826_073948.jpg

20220826_074016.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

My new Vixen grab and go, FL55ss on Porta II. Hoping it will fit in a rucksack so I can get it out under dark skies.

The Porta is still a little big and bulky so I'm planning on getting it set up on the Polarie with a photo-tripod.

20220826_073948.jpg

20220826_074016.jpg

Aaw, bless!!🤗😊

Dave

• Haha 2

Yeah, it copes with it ok! It's just as good on my little AP-SM mount too. I aligned it roughly last night using the polar scope from the SXD2, had a look at the double cluster (absolute perfection), came back three hours later and it was still perfectly in the middle. Quality!

• Like 2

Hi,

An old Vixen Custom 80 on black mount (1980/81, I believe🤗)

I customize the mount (sorry for the purists), with two 90mm collars (For my SP mount), but I keep the Vixen Spirit😉

Pascal

Vixen custom 80_01.jpg

Vixen custom 80_03.jpg

Edited by sqfab
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, Cleetus said:

That Vixen mount is a thing of beauty. I have one, or the bigger SXP2, on my radar. Starbook ten easy to use?

The Starbook Ten is so intuitive to use and the display is lovely. It's a bit of a shame that when I'm imaging, ASIair makes it semi-redundant but for visual, I'd always choose it over any app. I can't think of a flaw really. 

46 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

How stable are you finding the carbon tripod?

Rock solid and weighs next to nothing. The only thing I'd caution is the twist grips on the legs do need to be turned tightly to avoid any slippage, but other that that, I love it and it's worth the money to me.

It's also relatively warm to touch in the winter!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sqfab said:

Hi,

An old Vixen Custom 80 on black mount (1980/81, I believe🤗)

I customize the mount (sorry for the purists), with two 90mm collars (For my SP mount), but I keep the Vixen Spirit😉

Pascal

Vixen custom 80_01.jpg

Vixen custom 80_03.jpg

Hi, and welcome to SGL👍.

That's a lovely old scope and in great, original condition..I'm sure it will give you many hours of pleasure!

Dave

7 hours ago, Cleetus said:

That Vixen mount is a thing of beauty. I have one, or the bigger SXP2, on my radar. Starbook ten easy to use?

I second what OB 1-0 Kenobi said

The SXD2 with the SB10 is very easy to use. Set it up following this video and you are good to go. Great interface, although it is redundant apart from the LAN socket once you start using an AAP for imaging

The SXP2 would be an excellent choice. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I second what OB 1-0 Kenobi said

I like my new name! 

Would the SXP2 be preferable to the SXD2 because of its extra weight capacity or are there other benefits? I ask because I suspect the 15kg limit of the SXD2 is accurate about it would genuinely cope fine with it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, osbourne one-nil said:

I like my new name! 

Would the SXP2 be preferable to the SXD2 because of its extra weight capacity or are there other benefits? I ask because I suspect the 15kg limit of the SXD2 is accurate about it would genuinely cope fine with it. 

The SXP2 has belt drive, an improved bearing set up (not that the SXD2 is lacking in terms of design) and has a PEC set up that remembers the settings. Payload around 22 kg and I think it tracks around 5 arc sec over a full period. It's an excellent mount by all accounts

Edited by 900SL

On 28/08/2022 at 21:24, 900SL said:

The SXP2 has belt drive, an improved bearing set up (not that the SXD2 is lacking in terms of design) and has a PEC set up that remembers the settings. Payload around 22 kg and I think it tracks around 5 arc sec over a full period. It's an excellent mount by all accounts

Was offered approx £800 off an SXP2. That was before the recent price hike. Was planning on using it with a Mewlon 210 but I am now thinking the SXD2 would be sufficient as I'm not interested in imaging. That SXP2 is tempting though and it may be better suited to a larger scope in the future, or dual scope mounting. On the other hand I don't want to pay for features I will not use.

20 hours ago, 900SL said:

SXD2 would be fine for visual up to 14kg assuming you don't have a very long scope or windage. SXP2 at 800 off old price is a good buy...

Yes, sounds about right. In the process of moving house at the moment so have enough boxes with stuff hanging around. As soon as that comes to an end I will make a decision about whether I'll go with D or P. 

Have to share 'First Light' of the roughly set up, new to me, yet quite old
Vixen GP (manual only) at present and my most trusty Vixen ED103 in White Light mode.
Oh and a 12mm Vixen SLV for good measure.

B2267DA1-84CA-4CAB-BF11-9D9B08C7111B.thumb.jpeg.5ee6de58dc11b35f2eb59401833e8ff6.jpeg

03BCC0DE-AA4D-4AEE-BF12-8260D28D1B7E.thumb.jpeg.b1f36ed4542098a81bba84bc176e696f.jpeg

5374CA6D-8498-4CF8-B764-B3D877E193FC.thumb.jpeg.784a4fe091648a657362866cd872539d.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
typos of course
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2