SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Vixen Scope or mount

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Alan, Tim is correct, the knobs shown on your ED103S manual are different (and I think, better), than the round ones which seem to come as standard on the newer SD range.

I've been in touch with Bresser UK asking about availability of the focuser knobs from the SD, for the benefit of other SD owners, as I found that they are much more solid and easier to use in the dark when rotating the tube in it's rings..

Bresser's representative firstly disputed that the focuser knobs are metal (! - said "as far as she was concerned, they are made of ABS!), so then took 2 days to confirm with Vixen that they are in fact metal (specifically, aluminium!).

I then had to chase her and she did confirm that it is possible to buy a set of knobs (which has to include the pinion) at a cost of £51plus £5.95.UK delivery..so, not cheap!

If I wasn't already sorted with a pair, thanks to Tim's (@Franklin) help, I think I'd be inclined to go for the set referenced above by @The60mmKid.. here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325409930148

Finally..quote by Tim above..

The AX103S, being the Vixen premium scope

Er, that's not a scope, it's an Astrograph!! 

Now THIS is Vixen's Premium refractor...

20240206_190507.thumb.jpg.6909a7c6db4feea0be54815f143466a2.jpg

(IMHO, of course!! 😁🤪😂🤣)..

Dave

That 115 haunts my dreams, but I have to stop amassing gear and focus on using my already extensive arsenal of optical tubes at its best 😅

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

"as far as she was concerned, they are made of ABS!)

When Vixen scopes changed to white around 2002, the stock pinion knobs were indeed made of ABS but of the same design of the current metal ones. My old ED102S F9 from 2003 that is being passed around the forum at present, did have these "plastic" focuser knobs, but I thought a scope of that calibre deserved better and so put a new pinion with metal knobs on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

I thought a scope of that calibre deserved better and so put a new pinion with metal knobs on it

I'm extremely fortunate to have your ED102S now. Didn't know it came with the plastic knobs – thank you for upgrading them. It's a beautiful telescope, I think it's just perfect and I've enjoyed every minute with it so far 😊 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlcorAlly said:

I'm extremely fortunate to have your ED102S now. Didn't know it came with the plastic knobs – thank you for upgrading them. It's a beautiful telescope, I think it's just perfect and I've enjoyed every minute with it so far 😊

It's not just a very capable 4" ED F9 refractor but that particular model, the WT version, is actually quite scarce. Enjoy☺️.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally got some clear skies and got the Vixen GP out for its first ‘light’ for me. Great to have simple tracking back for both solar and lunar observing.

IMG_7701.jpeg

IMG_7706.jpeg

• Like 8

I'll venture a post about Vixen eyepieces, at the risk that it be considered off topic 😃

My personal enabler and Vixen-stuff dealer sold me these four a little while ago… I suspect that they're the ones Roger Vine used in his review of the ED102S:

spacer.png

In a relatively short time frame, and with moderate expense the family has grown considerably!

spacer.png

While I am putting together a Panoptic/Nagler set for my DSO forays, the Vixens are to be used primarily as my planetary, lunar and multiple star eyepieces in town. Having tried them, I'm pretty sure that I'll be taking them around in my trips as well. I like them a lot: clean, crisp images, super-comfortable to use! 

Needless to say, they go especially well with my greeny ED102S – but I'm sure they'll make good friends with my other scopes too ;D

PS: I was about to skip the 40mm in favour of a 32mm Plössl. When a 40mm showed up, however, my completist side prevailed… good call! In my 920mm-to-2000mm focal lengths it's great to have max 1.25" field and a large exit pupil, plus the eyepiece is wonderful. The other night, along with the ED102S, it gave one of the best views I've had of the lunar full disk!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, radiofm74 said:

I'll venture a post about Vixen eyepieces, at the risk that it be considered off topic 😃

My personal enabler and Vixen-stuff dealer sold me these four a little while ago… I suspect that they're the ones Roger Vine used in his review of the ED102S:

spacer.png

In a relatively short time frame, and with moderate expense the family has grown considerably!

spacer.png

While I am putting together a Panoptic/Nagler set for my DSO forays, the Vixens are to be used primarily as my planetary, lunar and multiple star eyepieces in town. Having tried them, I'm pretty sure that I'll be taking them around in my trips as well. I like them a lot: clean, crisp images, super-comfortable to use! 

Needless to say, they go especially well with my greeny ED102S – but I'm sure they'll make good friends with my other scopes too ;D

PS: I was about to skip the 40mm in favour of a 32mm Plössl. When a 40mm showed up, however, my completist side prevailed… good call! In my 920mm-to-2000mm focal lengths it's great to have max 1.25" field and a large exit pupil, plus the eyepiece is wonderful. The other night, along with the ED102S, it gave one of the best views I've had of the lunar full disk!

A very nice set of LVs indeed. You are only missing the 2” ones (30mm and 50mm). And of course, the 1.25” ones are brilliant in binoviewers, so you are only half done 😁😎🤣

Edited by Froeng
  • Haha 1

Greats Vixen eyepieces 👍

With my ED102S i use Scopetech Ortho/Plossl and Takahashi prism diagonal for lunar observation.

Planetary : XW, Nikon SW and Baader Classic Ortho.

DSO : XW and Nikon .

20220616_200752.jpg

Edited by Zirkel 2
edit
  • Like 1