NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A new kind of Telescope

wookie1965

He might have said our mirrors and EPs aren't "looking at the sky" for what they do. I don't like false choices. And though I strictly do visual and have never been interested in imaging, I think what he's done is superb. Would I do it? Absolutely. I also think it may renew public interest in getting behind a scope, even for professional astronomers (couldn't resist). And can you imagine the kids at outreach? Anyhoo, this is the first I've heard of such, but I can't see why my opinion of it would change, unless to be even more enthused. And isn't it as revolutionary as Galileo turning his toy on the sky by some order of magnitude (I'm sure I could frame it thusly if pressed)? I wonder what the limits are (i.e., over time--and you'd definitely need go-to, no?) Mind blown, whispered wishes to self granted.

So it's basically a small SCT with something akin to a built-in integrating video camera, plate solving and WiFi.  It sounds like a logical next step in the current move towards 'smart' telescopes. (no comment made whether or not I think this is a good move).

If the price is right and it's marketed at the right audience, It could sell well.

9 minutes ago, michaelmorris said:

So it's basically a small SCT with something akin to a built-in integrating video camera, plate solving and WiFi.  It sounds like a logical next step in the current move towards 'smart' telescopes. (no comment made whether or not I think this is a good move).

If the price is right and it's marketed at the right audience, It could sell well.

It's a small reflector ( 114 / 500 ish ) with the secondary replaced with the Sony IMX224LQR sensor. 

Sorry, I can't see the advantage of this over a telescope with a camera and live feed to a laptop which integrates the images as they come in.  I suppose that it saves all those cables:fucyc:

Their Kickstarter web site asks for a donation of $999 to get $1000 off the price of one. Donate more and get less off the price????

What is this thing going to cost?:happy2:

Nigel

Sounds to me like a telescope for those who 1- expect to look at something that visually is not much more than a fuzzball, but expect it to look like a Hubble image, and 2- don't want to spend the time and money nor have the desire or patience to learn AP.

Basically, it's a Schmidt Camera that you can look through.

Thanks for the correction on the telescope type.

I can see something like this appealing to someone who has plenty of money, isn't interested in learning the technical side and wants an instant astronomy hit.  It could prove popular as an (albeit expensive) way into astronomy for someone who wants a 'turnkey' electronically assisted imaging/observing setup.

Oh my, this could be then end of traditional amateur astronomy.. when they drop the price of this device. In theory.. it should show more colors then a 20" dobsonian? For the family, no need to buy 10 000$ of astro photo gear anymore to see colors or any complicated systems using DSLR cameras.

When they sell this thing at Costco for $550, is it going to be a revolution in amateur astronomy ?

I think it is a great idea. No, it is not as cost-effective or flexible as a traditional EAA setup with scope, camera, computer and software as separate components. But it is a lot simpler. Probably not aimed at the people who already frequent astronomy forums, but for others it could be the difference between being overwhelmed by the complexity of the different hardware/software options and being drawn into the hobby. 

Obviously not one for the purists, but I think it's a good idea as an alternative to video astronomy; should be simpler for anyone to setup and use. Good for kids - my little niece was actually quite upset when the views of the Pleiades through the telescope weren't as good as the preview on Stellarium! Thankfully, the moon was a winner.

Hi,

I think this could be a good idea as a starter scope, you know something easy to use and deliver good views with minimum effort.    When you first started out, how much detail could you see in that fuzzy blob or star cluster?  This scope doesn't need to delivery competition winning images, just something which looks good to the viewer and hype aside, it could do that.

What surprises me is not that Evscope have done, but Skywatcher or Celestron haven't done it.  After all Celestron sells all of the parts to make one, including an iPhone interface, so why didn't they do it?  It is probably unlikely to appeal to many folk on here, but the large internet shops and high street stores will probably lap it up, it fits their profile.

However, ultimately I think it will fail, especially in the UK, the price will be too high and the other bigger manufacturers will fight back.  Too many Kickstarter projects fail, a lot are too ambitious, burn through too much cash and leave early investors waiting for a product which often doesn't arrive.

For the sort of money they are talking about, you could get a nice GOTO scope planetary/low end DSO camera and connect it to a computer, but if you don't know anything about it other than you have an interest, this is an easy way in to the hobby.  I don't think I will be buying one, but I do see it as a positive step for a new starter, even if it is a bit expensive.

Robin

6 hours ago, DrRobin said:

What surprises me is not that Evscope have done, but Skywatcher or Celestron haven't done it.  After all Celestron sells all of the parts to make one, including an iPhone interface, so why didn't they do it?  It is probably unlikely to appeal to many folk on here, but the large internet shops and high street stores will probably lap it up, it fits their profile.

The answer to this question is called “resource dependence” and its relation to innovation is explained by Clayton Christensen is his book “The innovator’s dilemma”. 

Basically, established businesses are dependent on their current customer base for sales - and these customers are conservative. Innovative technologies start out as being less refined and yet more expensive than existing offerings and so do not appeal to the established businesses’ core customer base. Startups therefor target new customers who value the few areas where the new technology excels. Over time the innovative product improves enough to challenge the traditional players - who now find themselves hopelessly behind. 

Remember digital cameras? A “fad”, according to Hasselblad. “Their serious customers would never be interested in low-quality digital images”. The iPhone? “Toys for rich kids” according to RIM and Nokia...

One thing that occurs to me about this is that I can see that it could be a great tool to get people into the hobby but where would their next step be ?

If their entry level tool gives decent views of objects which are, through a conventional telescope, practically invisible or at best very subtle indeed, unless there are further technology assisted steps up the ladder of performance then I guess imaging would be the only attractive way further into the hobby ?

This kind of  scenario crosses my mind as we generally show visitors objects through a 16" SCT. Most of them probably are unlikely to buy a telescope but were happy to have the opportunity to look through one. I have to say though, that visitors who bring their entry level telescopes in for instruction on how to use them, get pretty excited at seeing objects through THEIR telescope for the first time. :icon_biggrin:

Fundamentally speaking, does a more advanced (or: easier) way of doing something make the subject matter more interesting? More accessible, perhaps, but eventually, those so inclined find a way to develop their interest, either by grinding their own mirror or by ordering their very own Back Garden Hubble.

Archived