Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All new weekly astronomy guides - This week added

I've started compiling a weekly guide for the Plymouth AS. I thought I'd share it here for your enjoyment! It's a mixture of material from various resources that I hope will help the society to engage with the 400 or so members of our Facebook group  

It's a funny old tale how this came to be, I won't go into it but I will just mention that it's aimed at all abilities/experience levels/equipment. It's not supposed to be a comprehensive guide but a handpicked selection of some interesting targets this week.

Thoughts, critique, feedback, suggestions welcome (in fact I demand it)

I have limited time to give the project this weekend but I wanted to get the first one up on the Facebook group ASAP so it's not everything I envisaged. I'll get there though.

Hope it's useful to some. 

Week 1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9NIdVS1knefYzlLTUhIZ1F5bGc

Week 2 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9NIdVS1knefTXZkWnBwWFNNWXM

In fact I've just shared the folder. I'll just update the thread when it's published.

Here's the clicky for the folder:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9NIdVS1knefQlJBLU1mOUJ4ZVE

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John, that is a quality read in terms of content and aesthetics. I really like the format and the way it reads, it flows well. Would it be possible to put hyperlinks on the first page under headings in the content summary; that would allow the reader to quickly move to any section of particular interest. My only other though is on your intention to publish it weekly; would the effort to compile a weekly publication be sustainable, and would much change from week to week?  Just some thoughts but as it is I think you have a cracking guide there, really useful and informative.  Cheeky question - can non society members access it once it goes live :) 

Jim

10 minutes ago, saac said:

John, that is a quality read in terms of content and aesthetics.

Thanks Jim

11 minutes ago, saac said:

Would it be possible to put hyperlinks on the first page

I intended to.... and forgot. Revised edition later :)

11 minutes ago, saac said:

would the effort to compile a weekly publication be sustainable, and would much change from week to week?

Nothing much will change but the weekly guide will keep events like conjunctions, occultations, transits, solar active regions etc fresh in the readers minds. The task itself is a little daunting but actually I'm planning my own observations weekly anyway so it's a relatively short piece of work to translate it to the publication. As for the readership we'll see how it goes - if they get bored I'll make it monthly.

I was also thinking of including articles and features which will potentially keep things interesting. 

16 minutes ago, saac said:

Cheeky question - can non society members access it once it goes live :) 

Not cheeky at all. It's on the Facebook group, I'll share the link to the Google Drive folder here when they become available too.

Glad you like it mate.

Clear skies

2 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

Not cheeky at all. It's on the Facebook group, I'll share the link to the Google Drive folder here when they become available too.

Glad you like it mate.

Clear skies

Thanks John, I'll look out for it.  Good luck with it, I think it will be well received.

Jim

3 hours ago, saac said:

Would it be possible to put hyperlinks on the first page

Page one headings are now linkified, although the default Google Drive preview when you click the file link doesn't want you to have the links, you'll need to download it and view it in Acrobat/your chosen PDF reader.

Very nice production John. Easy to read and follow but still a very professional lay out. I am sure it will be a great hit with your membership. I also salute you for being so willing to dedicate the time and effort for the benefit of others. I very much look forward to reading future editions.

43 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice production John. Easy to read and follow but still a very professional lay out. I am sure it will be a great hit with your membership. I also salute you for being so willing to dedicate the time and effort for the benefit of others. I very much look forward to reading future editions.

Thanks John. I'll be sure to share them on SGL.

12 minutes ago, bejay1957 said:

As someone who had edited/produced/published assorted newsletters and magazines down the years, I am very impressed with the effort going into a weekly bulletin like this :)

Can't say fairer than that, thanks Brian.

That's fantastic. Informative, inspiring and beautifully presented. If there is anything missing from this forum then it's something like this. (Hopefully someone will tell me we already have it and I just haven't found it.) I look at the weekly thing at skyandtelescope, but it is mostly naked eye stuff. Great job.

2 hours ago, mdstuart said:

Just needs a galaxy of the week?

Lots of inspiration to observe.

That's a nice idea Mark, I might do that! If I do you're just the SGL galaxy hooverer I may call on for advice.

And inspiration was the idea, just a shame the weather doesn't always appreciate the inspiration.

1 hour ago, domstar said:

That's fantastic. Informative, inspiring and beautifully presented. If there is anything missing from this forum then it's something like this. (Hopefully someone will tell me we already have it and I just haven't found it.) I look at the weekly thing at skyandtelescope, but it is mostly naked eye stuff. Great job.

You're very kind. I enjoy the S&T guide as well as many others. I feel obliged to say I'm not trying to do a better job than anyone else, I'm just doing something that serves the particular needs of a particular group of folks. If others enjoy that's a bonus, and if I learn anything from researching it even better :)

I can but concur with everyone else John. You have done a superb job on this,
and it will surely be a popular source for everyone. 
We certainly thank you for your efforts, and will be very much appreciated by all :icon_salut:.

15 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Great layout, John! I'm sure the readership will be well served by your works on this project.

They're lucky devils to have your talents in their midsts!

Indeed they are :smile: 

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement folks.

Week 2 of my sky guide is now published.
This is turning into a bit of an epic task. I struggled to find the time this week so it's trimmed in terms of the number of features but those included I tried to make as detailed as possible. So if you thought I'd never keep up your were wrong!!! :headbang: Although I am now suffering slightly with the madness.
I may therefore decide to switch to a fortnightly publication but I'll see how I go for now.
This week includes:
The Lunar X
Lunar/Jovian Conjunction
Emission Nebulae.
And more
Get observing folks and clear skies!

Clicky

Archived