NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seriously?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ABS 124413...

To be fair it doesn't say the asking price is what actually changed hands...but just in case I'll be putting up my ethos collection for a grand a pop!

I agree with You Calvin and I feel the 21mm would be a much better eyepiece, to me it's 400 tops. Having had one I wouldn't pay that for the 14mm either, to me XW's at 10mm and less are the ones to have.

Alan

About ten years ago Tom at House of Optics sent me the entire range of Pentax XW's so that I could try them out before buying. I bought them all from 20mm down to 3.5mm. However, as much as I wanted to love the 30mm XW, it just didn't approach the level of edge sharpness of my 31mm Nagler, so i sent the 30mm XW back. I can't remember how much the 30mm XW was when new but its no match for the 31 Nag, and so even if brand new, it isn't worth the price of the 31 Nagler. Anyone paying £750 for a 30mm XW needs their bumps feeling!

A 30mm XW is probably worth  £250 to £300 tops!!

Mike

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

About ten years ago Tom at House of Optics sent me the entire range of Pentax XW's so that I could try them out before buying. I bought them all from 20mm down to 3.5mm. However, as much as I wanted to love the 30mm XW, it just didn't approach the level of edge sharpness of my 31mm Nagler, so i sent the 30mm XW back. I can't remember how much the 30mm XW was when new but its no match for the 31 Nag, and so even if brand new, it isn't worth the price of the 31 Nagler. Anyone paying £750 for a 30mm XW needs their bumps feeling!

A 30mm XW is probably worth  £250 to £300 tops!!

Mike

Excellent post Mike. It seems to be human nature that the less attainable things become, the more we covet them - whether that's discontinued astronomical equipment or the neighbour's spouse. I've just sold 25-30 rare vinyl albums from the late 70s/ early 80s because a local 2nd hand record shop made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've hung onto them all this time not because I play them (haven't had a record player for decades) but because owning them gave me a warm feeling of self satisfaction. Now they've gone, I need to do something about my weakness for hoarding eyepieces

The 40mm and 30mm XW's are out of production now for some time and have assumed a semi-legendary status. I thought the 30mm XW a very nice eyepiece when I compared it with the Nagler 31 and the Nirvana 28 quite a few years back on here but in the same league rather than another one altogether. I'd not pay that sort of money for one but somebody might I guess ?

OK, let's put this in perspective, £750 is more than a 1/3 the price of a Tak FC100 (:smile:), about the same price as a SW180mm Maksutov, the same as X 3.5  SW 6 inch f8 Newts, .75X the price of a SW ED120, etc etc.  Is it me, or is someone having a laugh here? :unsure:

6 minutes ago, paulastro said:

OK, let's put this in perspective, £750 is more than a 1/3 the price of a Tak FC100 (:smile:), about the same price as a SW180mm Maksutov, the same as X 3.5  SW 6 inch f8 Newts, .75X the price of a SW ED120, etc etc.  Is it me, or is someone having a laugh here? :unsure:

I have seen the 40mm and 30mm XW's being advertised on the used market for similarly high prices before. Whether they actually got what they were asking, I don't know :dontknow:

When the Baader Genuine Ortho's went out of production following the Japanese earthquake and tsunami the used prices, for a while, went through the roof and I saw them for £100 plus when the new price had been around £80 just a few months before. Common sense then prevailed (plus some other decent orthos became available) and the prices quickly dropped back to a more reasonable level.

A good post John.  It seems strange to me when bits of kit are suddenly unavailable, common sense seems to go out of the window and some folks seem to think they are worth silly money.  I'm certainly going to hang on to my SW 32mm PanaView, if it  goes out of production it might be worth what, £300?  :icon_jokercolor:

The old adage of 'it is only worth what what folks will pay' springs to mind. There is a house for sale in our village which has been for sale on and off for 3 years for £150k more than any other similar house in the village..... The owner is an idiot. He believes that the house is worth £X, the market knows that it is worth £Y.

Paul

Archived