NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your bookshelves

FenlandPaul

Since all of the equipment in the wonderful "Show us your....." threads gets little use when the skies are leaden, I thought I'd start a thread to share what our Astro-bookshelves looks like.  I imagine for many of us, it's the contents of these, along with SGL, that keep us satisfied when the clouds have rolled in (or, more precisely, have failed to roll away).

So..... Show us your bookshelves!!  Here are mine - reasonably modest collection.  I'm looking forward to growing the Annals of the Deep Sky collection over the coming years.  The bottom shelf is my favourite - the real hands-on stuff.

image.thumb.jpeg.4bb9b5e4f262420c2b892c7425c4fc0d.jpeg

Paul

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Paul,

What a great idea.

Now that is a nice set of books, makes me feel quite under booked, cue a visit to Amazon etc.

Here come more parcels......

What's really pleasing, Alan, is the number that I've managed to get for next to nothing via sites like Amazon (invariably used or ex-library, though never borrowed!).  That makes me feel justified in the larger investments I've made in, e.g. the outdoor version of Interstellarum or the Annals series, which will be a fair whack by the time they get to Z.

I will play with a photo, when I have daylight here. But please don't judge on the 5 deep stacks.

But meantime, somewhat related, has anyone got a concrete link to paper E.E.Doc Smith Skylark series.

I used to have the whole set from 1928 but life has subsequently lost them; :(

Rich

7 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

the number that I've managed to get for next to nothing via sites like Amazon (invariably used or ex-library, though never borrowed!).  That makes me feel justified in the larger investments I've made in, e.g. the outdoor version of Interstellarum or the Annals series, which will be a fair whack by the time they get to Z.

Paul

I have worked my way through many a Charity shops book shelves and got a collection going, Amazon do sell used as well.
Like scopes and kit, we astronomers look after most of our books as well.

Great idea Paul, here's mine. 'scuse it all being a bit higgledy piggledy! But it's mine and I love it and it rather reflects my personality, disorganised and chaotic. (the radiator is turned off btw)

There's astro books in there somewhere so it all counts :), but as it goes most of them are elsewhere, in use in various parts of the house!

I've just ordered volume 1 of Annals having seen your OP Paul, never seen it before and it looks to be a rather pleasing collection.

Also, I just noticed, the first picture includes a thread about bookshelves in a picture of a bookshelf in a thread about bookshelves. Time to start a show us your 'recurrence' images thread.

1 hour ago, RichM63 said:

has anyone got a concrete link to paper E.E.Doc Smith Skylark series.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=20273541737&searchurl=kn%3Dskylark%26sortby%3D1%26an%3Dee%2Bsmith

IMG_3803.thumb.JPG.d3bfd2e7a222b4c113b5c6bc573d609c.JPGIMG_7843.thumb.JPG.525e6abba47b9e26d2b3af022dab1a13.JPGIMG_2459.thumb.JPG.d5533eb6be4d686c60089cfbdada45a9.JPGIMG_3708.thumb.JPG.2b9b739621bb3606dabc29b51b04ceb0.JPGIMG_7389.thumb.JPG.5e8bd698c5360a3cea42de1722840c51.JPGIMG_9353.thumb.JPG.7ea8f896c56e71105fd49a981e978d40.JPGIMG_9639.thumb.JPG.4c774f38959900c8d36dadc0a5631641.JPGIMG_5209.thumb.JPG.8da400863941450775be1ef2732ac030.JPGIMG_9707.thumb.JPG.4f5989a610c9b3c1660dc651f983d802.JPG

8 hours ago, laudropb said:

My astronomy section. Some of the books go back a fair bit and most were bought new. Also have a few lying around as the 5 bookcases in my study are all full.

There are some great books there, John.  Also I note you invested in the binder for the BAA Journal - now I've seen how good it looks I wish I'd done that (I'm sure JeremyS will agree!!).  I threw out my tatty journals a few weeks back.

I've not come across the David Levy "Skywatching" book - any thoughts on that?

Paul

5 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

There are some great books there, John.  Also I note you invested in the binder for the BAA Journal - now I've seen how good it looks I wish I'd done that (I'm sure JeremyS will agree!!).  I threw out my tatty journals a few weeks back.

I've not come across the David Levy "Skywatching" book - any thoughts on that?

Paul

Hi Paul. This book was published as a beginners guide in 1994. Good for the time, but a bit dated now. BAA binders are really good value for money and it's nice to be able to look back at the journals.

IMG_0314.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

You certainly couldn't have a pic. of mine unless I tidied it up, even then you wouldn't find my two astronomy books unless I added them in especially - mine are full of chemistry books :icon_redface:  However, looking the embarrassment of non-neatness above my head I do feel that a spring clean of my shelves is probably well overdue - I sense another rainy day job on the radar (the trouble is it is more interesting to make a solar filter first so maybe I need two rainy days!)

15 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Also I note you invested in the binder for the BAA Journal - now I've seen how good it looks I wish I'd done that (I'm sure JeremyS will agree!!

Yes I do agree :-)

However, I have to confess I don't have the binders for my BAA Journals myself as they are slightly (by a few mm) too tall for my shelves.

Jeremy

Surprising perhaps but I'm not a book person, I may have a couple hidden away in my wife's extensive cookery collection. We do have a huge selection at the Observatory if and when needed.    :icon_biggrin:

15 minutes ago, JOC said:

Wow!  Have you read them all?

Mainly yes on the Astro books.
The Moonlandings is yet to be read, its very small print and a lot of pages, so a holiday job I think.
I am reading 15 Million Degrees, A Journey to the centre of the Sun by Professor Lucie Green presently, it's not in the picture> I recommend the book as its at a understandable but technical level.

On the Photography ones, yes, but many are just* pictures to enjoy.  (*that is not doing them justice).
Also they have been collected since I was 11 and have grown a lot with my Wife being a very keen Photographer as well.

Archived