Hello from Rural South Australia

Dave Simons

Forgive my intrusion.   My name is Dave Simons and I am a high school science teacher in rural South Australia.

Having lived away from any big light pollution for over 20 years and having complacently enjoyed the aesthetics of a night sky, it's time to get a bit more knowledgeable.  

I've dabbled with a simple optical telescope, but having found some details involving the construction of home made radio telescopes, it seems a perfect opportunity to excite some students as they can build these cheaply.

So I'm here for advice and guidance.

Regards, Dave.

PS, I'm a techno Luddite, so please be patient.

Hi Dave, and a big welcome from middle England. I have no knowledge base regarding radio telescopes but rest assured you're in good company here at SGL and help is not far away.

Thanks John

2 hours ago, Dave Simons said:

Forgive my intrusion.   My name is Dave Simons and I am a high school science teacher in rural South Australia.

Having lived away from any big light pollution for over 20 years and having complacently enjoyed the aesthetics of a night sky, it's time to get a bit more knowledgeable.  

I've dabbled with a simple optical telescope, but having found some details involving the construction of home made radio telescopes, it seems a perfect opportunity to excite some students as they can build these cheaply.

Regards, Dave.

G'day Dave and welcome to SGL. I'm not surprised that you're a techno Luddite. South Oz only got electricity in the 1990's didn't you? :D.
Sorry, I'm a Sydney sider now living in the UK. My punishment for stealing a loaf of bread ;) 

Anyway, enjoy your visits to Star gazers lounge and no doubt there will be others willing to offer all the advice you need.

Here's a good place to start https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/75-radio-astronomy-and-spectroscopy/

Welcome. Your intro is not an intrusion so nothing to forgive. ?

I have more than enough on my plate with 'straightforward' visual astronomy so will be of no help at all with your quest. But I do hope you enjoy the journey of discovery.

p.s. Casually mentioning dark skies such as yours might cause some envy among some ... ??

• 2 weeks later...

To all of you thanks.  I think we'll start with two projects, something LF / Hf, to read the planet activity, and something fm, to read meteor showers.  After that we'll look at microwaves and see if we can't get Jupiter.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:31, Dave Simons said:

Regards, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find it helpful.

James

Archived