Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 and M82 LRGB

Barry-Wilson

I have been waiting for clear skies in the late evening to gather further subs on another Gnomus/Wilson galactic collaboration designed to make the most of our focal lengths and imaging scales and the vageries of the UK winter . . . watch this space.  However, opportunistically, I've managed over several nights to grab subs here and there in short cloud-free gaps in the early evening of M81 and M82 before being inundated with thick all covering cloud.

I've captured 8.5 hours of LRGB all at 600s at the native FL of my WO FLT132 giving me 1.2"/px with my QSI683 enough to give some detail and also the faint IFN.  I wanted to retain a natural feel to this classic image of the pairing without pushing so hard in the luminance to make the IFN clear and running the risk of the dreaded PI-ing of the image.  At F7 in my current configuration I have a nice image scale but relatively slow for the IFN (but it isn't my main goal) and I hope I've left it hinted-at yet probably relatively fairly protrayed in the relative brightness levels of the image subjects.

A widefield view of this area to properly display the IFN is planned (and I do have some subs in the bag) with one of my faster refractors and I will let the PI-demon inside loose a little :evil4: to reveal the galactic cirrus at that future date :happy7:.

Until then, the iconic pairing in LRGB is below.  I've been pleased to see a faint blue to the outer tips of M82 recalling a thread and discussion about this when Paddy presented a DSW M82 some weeks/months ago and particularly pleased with the active jets: not bad without any Ha and for a balding fella in his backgarden :icescream:.

Fingers crossed for clear skies for us all in the coming weeks!

Barry

58d55c38661c6_M81M82LRGB_Blend2.thumb.jpg.59bfe0509073813551a84901f8ec262b.jpg

53 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Nice......real nice!

51 minutes ago, artem said:

Stunning! image..:icon_albino:

Thank you both.

43 minutes ago, nucdoc said:

Wow, that is really nice !

Cheers - would work well in your 115mm too if you haven't imaged this pair.

38 minutes ago, Singlin said:

THat`'s a nice field of view and really crisp.

Great image!

17 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Lovely image.

Thank you both.

Great image. M82 is well balanced, without it looking like a character making an exit in a Quentin Tarrantino movie. Looking forward to a wider field ifn version.

Btw, to enhance faint nebulosity without pushing the stars / galaxies, you might have a look at one of Gerald Wechselberger's video tutorials. But you probably already know that.

Thanks for sharing

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Good. I don't think the IFN should become an obsession. At one time this target was considered deep if you picked up Holmberg IX. You also have Arp's Loop showing and the galaxies are nicely in balance.

Olly

I think that catching IFN is a bucket list item; you have to try it at least once.

Thank you tomato, Paddy, Wim, Ken, andyo, bob-c and Olly.

16 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great image. M82 is well balanced, without it looking like a character making an exit in a Quentin Tarrantino movie. Looking forward to a wider field ifn version.

Btw, to enhance faint nebulosity without pushing the stars / galaxies, you might have a look at one of Gerald Wechselberger's video tutorials. But you probably already know that.

Thanks for sharing

I do indeed know of 'Old Wexi' and his great tutorials.  If I want to push the faint background stuff I tend to use the specific scripts for this and combine with masks and Pixel Math etc.  I have used the techniques from the link before, and his web pages are a great resource.

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Agreed, but it doesn't have to be in every northern galaxy image.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  That's how I felt with this particular image, wanting to preserve the IFN's imperceptible wisps and focus on the two galaxies.  Now when I get round to a widefield of this area . . . I really want to stress the extent of the IFN and will push to bring it much more to the fore.

Very nice indeed. Just once before I shuffle off this mortal coil, I'd like to catch a nice deep M82. Your image far exceeds anything I've been able to do with this target. I'd be very happy to call this image mine. Kudos :)

19 hours ago, Rodd said:

Nice image Barry.  Not much more to say except--how do you do that?

Rodd

Thanks Rodd: gently does it with PI and small incremental applications of processes.

18 hours ago, Scott said:

Very nice indeed. Just once before I shuffle off this mortal coil, I'd like to catch a nice deep M82. Your image far exceeds anything I've been able to do with this target. I'd be very happy to call this image mine. Kudos :)

Thanks Scott.  I'm reasonably lucky to live at the edge of Totnes and have (for the UK) relatively dark skies.

• 2 years later...

Missed this one here--Good work Barry.  I am finding along of detail in the green channel in the disc (M82) and the starburst plumes are in the red channel--just not a vibrant without Ha.  You can follow them out pretty far in yours.  As usual, you background is to die for--and the stars are...stars (can't get better than that!).

Rodd

Archived