Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads Up: Comet + Planetary + Galaxy in the same FoV NOW !

John

If you are out and you have the skies now is the time: M97, M108 and Comet 41P all in the same FoV with the 12" dob ATM. 31mm Nagler required to fit them all in - 1.6 true degrees.

Just been looking to John since dark, although there's a lot of moisture in the air tonight. Also coincidently with a 1.6 deg field x31 but for me only a 16 plossl is required !  Hope to see some nice images later.

andrew

6 minutes ago, Peco4321 said:

Had a go at observing when the clouds cleared but couldn't really make it out, but I have managed to image all 3 in the same field of view, processing a load if images as I type. 

Hope you get them in the image Peter :smiley:

Had a bash at observing this but what with it being in the one little spot where the friendly neighbourhood streetlamp ruins things, poor transparency, the output of a neighbours heating exhaust, a twinge in my back and the general background LP I don't think I need to say it didn't go well :) 

Dark site Saturday though weather permitting so all being well I'll bag 41p then, and she'll be a little brighter as a bonus.

Glad some of you have had a view :thumbright:

I had a brilliant view of the Owl, M108 and the Comet. The Herefordshire Astro Society had an observing night at a very dark site in the grounds of a National Trust venue. The sky was fantastic - many scopes available. I viewed the area using a Skywatcher 12" Flextube with a 21mm Ethos and my Orion VX8 with a 20mm Myraid and the 13mm Ethos.

8 hours ago, John said:

Not so great ? - well I like it Peter :icon_biggrin:

Thanks. Although the picture isn't stunning, I love the fact it shows objects in our solar system, our galaxy, and a different galaxy, all in the same image, so this is going in my "favourite image" folder. ?

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I had a brilliant view of the Owl, M108 and the Comet. The Herefordshire Astro Society had an observing night at a very dark site in the grounds of a National Trust venue. The sky was fantastic - many scopes available. I viewed the area using a Skywatcher 12" Flextube with a 21mm Ethos and my Orion VX8 with a 20mm Myraid and the 13mm Ethos.

Lucky people viewing through your gear then Mark :icon_biggrin:

My society have had to cancel one public event after another so far this year. We were due to be at Dyrham Park last night but our forecaster got cold feet and we pulled the event. In the end it was one of the best nights that I've experienced over the past several months. I just ended up on my own on the patio instead of being able to share it :rolleyes2:

In theory it should be visible in 50mm binoculars. In practice its going to depend on your sky conditions and your experience in spotting faint diffuse objects. I could not see the comet with my 50mm finder last night under reasonably dark (for here) skies. It was not exactly "in your face" with the 12" dob either mind you.

14 hours ago, John said:

In theory it should be visible in 50mm binoculars. In practice its going to depend on your sky conditions and your experience in spotting faint diffuse objects. I could not see the comet with my 50mm finder last night under reasonably dark (for here) skies. It was not exactly "in your face" with the 12" dob either mind you.

Thanks for that. I could not see it yesterday with a 15x70 binocular. Sky was as good as we get here, a bit hazy high up in the atmosphere, and LP typical of sububurban areas. I now understand that it was not feasible.

Archived