Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Just ordered a new Lunt 60mm scope

I ordered a new solar scope today - a Lunt 60mm B1200 PT.  I have been looking for the best part of a week at various new and used models.  When the sale of used one didnt work out earlier today, I spotted a bit of discount on them today, and went for it.  Should be here by the middle of next week.  Looking forward to getting it out in action.  I have been reading through some the threads on the forum, and look forward to helpful advice.

Regards

Adam.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Peter.  I had the chance to borrow one for a couple of days in about 2009, and I enjoyed it but knew it had a lot more to give.  I dont even remember tuning it other than adjusting the focuser to get it in focus.  I certainly didnt see any surface detail, just a few proms.  From what I've read the 60mm one seems to be a good compromise for visual/imaging/cost.

9 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

I think you are going to love it, a decent focuser on that model as well. Just need some clear skies :icon_biggrin:

Thank-you.  I noticed that the Lunt 50mm has a helical focuser and it is quite costly to upgrade to the crayford.  That was one of my justifications for buying the 60mm one.  That and the larger blocking filter as I really want to be imaging.

Ah.. well done... Been looking at one of these today too. The notice of a Lunt sale got my attention earlier.. very tempting indeed. The PST has served me well visually, what with the transit last year & eclipse the year before.. fantastic!...  but as a DSO imager the expectation to performance ratio was a bit disappointing & the "investment" required for the next step (or 2) up has always seemed a bit prohibitive to me. With the totally unproductive clear dark skies of this winter maybe a rethink back to daytime imaging with a Lunt is in order too..

6 minutes ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Ah.. well done... Been looking at one of these today too. The notice of a Lunt sale got my attention earlier.. very tempting indeed. The PST has served me well visually, what with the transit last year & eclipse the year before.. fantastic!...  but as a DSO imager the expectation to performance ratio was a bit disappointing & the "investment" required for the next step (or 2) up has always seemed a bit prohibitive to me. With the totally unproductive clear dark skies of this winter maybe a rethink back to daytime imaging with a Lunt is in order too..

I plan to get the kids involved and getting them out at night is not practical at the minute, plus as you say totally disappointing.  I think this will make be a great daytime activity and hopefully get them interested in everything that is going on above them.  The oldest enjoys looking at the Moon, even during the day.

AJ2_1.jpg

AJ2_2.jpg

Have been trying to decide on either the 50 or 60. The 50 is what I want to pay but the 60 is that bit more capable. Used to have a 60 a couple of years ago and was very pleased with it. 

Decisions decisions.  :icon_scratch:

John

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Have been trying to decide on either the 50 or 60. The 50 is what I want to pay but the 60 is that bit more capable. Used to have a 60 a couple of years ago and was very pleased with it. 

Decisions decisions.  :icon_scratch:

John

You'll never regret buying the bigger one, but I know that if it was the other way around.....

I understand your budget, the 50mm is very tempting and IMO a justifiable amount to spend on a scope.  I had a budget of £2250 for a scope, portable tripod eg astrotrac and few other small bits and bobs, but then ended up just blowing the whole lot of the scope alone.  This scope can be handheld...right??

Brilliant.. funny enough my daughter was far more interested in looking through a scope than my son... but yup solar should be perfect start. My "kids" are.. ( well..they think they've) grown up now but daytime followed by Moon & Planets are the best intro for kids.. otherwise "its too cold Dad" & they loose interest.. Goes for the Wife too still.. far more interest in looking through the PST in the "warm".. if you can call it that in Scotland ;) 

8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

You'll never regret buying the bigger one, but I know that if it was the other way around.....

I understand your budget, the 50mm is very tempting and IMO a justifiable amount to spend on a scope.  I had a budget of £2250 for a scope, portable tripod eg astrotrac and few other small bits and bobs, but then ended up just blowing the whole lot of the scope alone.  This scope can be handheld...right??

The 50 is quite capable but would I regret not spending the bit extra? The bf600 would be fine for visual.

Have a Manfrotto 475 tripod with a 405 geared head (converted to 2 way) sitting in the loft that would be perfect for the 60. :icon_biggrin:

John

8 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

but then ended up just blowing the whole lot of the scope alone.  This scope can be handheld...right??

Funny that.. I was hanging the Tal ( got it to do the PST mod but couldn't bring myself to chop bits off it.. another story...) out of the window.. perched on the back of a chair the other night having an impromptu look at Venus & Mars between the clouds... worked perfectly well.. ;)

1 minute ago, Sp@ce_d said:

Funny that.. I was hanging the Tal ( got it to do the PST mod but couldn't bring myself to chop bits off it.. another story...) out of the window.. perched on the back of a chair the other night having an impromptu look at Venus & Mars between the clouds... worked perfectly well.. ;)

I think that's what they call 'Doing a Michael Jackson' :lol:

I have the 50mm and have to say the views were stunning I've owned several pst and solar max 60 and this is by far the better scope I've owned focuser was fine I have upgraded to the moonlight but not because the stock was rubbish and I have now double stacked it and it's stunning even more now there was a great deal on the for sale adds here for a 50 mm with double stack which will outperform any single 60 mm and for around same price ?

4 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

I have the 50mm and have to say the views were stunning I've owned several pst and solar max 60 and this is by far the better scope I've owned focuser was fine I have upgraded to the moonlight but not because the stock was rubbish and I have now double stacked it and it's stunning even more now there was a great deal on the for sale adds here for a 50 mm with double stack which will outperform any single 60 mm and for around same price ?

Unfortunately the seller withdrew the scope, as I was intending to buy it and the DS. However I think the B1200 will suit me better for imaging. 

You won't regret getting the 60 over the 50. I have owned both and the 60 is much easier to live with particularly for imaging.  The PT should be set slightly differently depending upon if you wish to catch, proms, filaments or other surface details.

You cant really lose out with either! We are lucky to be able to have such great small scopes available to buy for home use.

They are both great value for money if only the [removed word] sun would come out a bit more often for us to admire it :)

Still longer days are coming so heres hoping ...

Alan

Eventually found a dovetail bar, and set it onto the (unpowered) mount! Fleeting cloud but did see two prominences and some surface granulation at the periphery. I can't wait to take more time once it's tracking and there is no haze - I'm sure it'll come into its element. An imager at heart I tried a mobile pic!

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

Archived