SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just ordered a new Lunt 60mm scope

I have the same scope! Beautiful hey? 

I have to sort out my pressure tuner still, was unable to tune last outing but I'm confident I have or will figure it out soon. I regreased it , if that doesn't work, I'll replace, one or both of the o rings. 

The disk looks grea though and it is much better on my eyepieces than my old 50 was. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tyson M said:

I have the same scope! Beautiful hey? 

I have to sort out my pressure tuner still, was unable to tune last outing but I'm confident I have or will figure it out soon. I regreased it , if that doesn't work, I'll replace, one or both of the o rings. 

The disk looks grea though and it is much better on my eyepieces than my old 50 was. 

Do you have yours long? It's beautiful just to look at so don't mind the clouds too much at the minute.  I'm definitely very lucky to have been in the position to buy this scope.  It's incredibly well made compared to all my other scopes.

The diagonal has lots of range of travel, and I guess that's for focusing different eyepieces etc. I'm looking forward to getting my camera working, currently have driver issues. 

I'll keep any eye out for any solar threads you create. I have a feeling it will take a bit of practice to get the most out of it. But also to be able to identify how seeing can affect the view too. 

So at about half five I noticed the sun peeping through the clouds. I guess far from ideal but new scope and enthusiasm abundant.

Visually I could easily see surface granulation. I setup a webcam on my laptop last night so I grabbed it and took s few videos. Not tracking and unable to use registax I simply post screen shots of my videos. Loving the new scope and the portability of it.

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

At about haf past five........thick coud here. :clouds1:

A brief look is better than nothing. :smiley:  Looking forward to seeing your results when the sun comes out properly. 

Supposed to be sunny Monday morning here.........unless they change the forecast.

John

15 minutes ago, johninderby said:

At about haf past five........thick coud here. :clouds1:

A brief look is better than nothing. :smiley:  Looking forward to seeing your results when the sun comes out properly. 

Supposed to be sunny Monday morning here.........unless they change the forecast.

John

I'm gonna take it to work this week! It's always sunny when I'm working :crybaby2:

On 3/9/2017 at 12:53, tooth_dr said:

I'll keep any eye out for any solar threads you create. I have a feeling it will take a bit of practice to get the most out of it. But also to be able to identify how seeing can affect the view too. 

Sounds good. I will likely post in the imaging- solar forum. Nothing but cloud this weekend.

Maybe later this week, thurs or later I can have another crack at it, see if I fixed the PT.

Nice first light, I am chomping at the bit to have a go at it with mine. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very pleased with this purchase. It does take a few goes to get used to it but is worth the effort. For me I like being able to dip in and out at a minutes notice.  I have pretty much unrestricted views of the sun with being on a large hill and facing south. Seem to have move clear skies during the day than at night.

I have been using a 15mm Meade plössl and it gives a brilliant view. I also tried a 6.4mm plössl but I can't seem to get close enough to the eyepiece. Is this what's called eye relief?

Any recommendations for eyepieces? Currently I have just have a full set of Meade Series 4000 EPs, and 2x and 3x Meade Barlows, and an Antares 5x Barlow. I don't really do much night time observing so a nice solar EP would be good.

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

The Lunt zoom is pretty good. Also available under a couple of different brand names.

My favourite solar eyepiece though is the Pentax XF zoom.  OK for nightime observing but really excels at solar. Silly prices at many retailers but WEX has a very good price.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-pentax-xf-6-9-19-5mm-zoom-eyepiece/p1529787

Have one arriving on Monday. :hello2:

John

Archived