NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dr Alan Longstaff.

ollypenrice

Friends, many of you will know Alan Longstaff for his regular column in Astronomy Now, a column in which he answered readers' questions on all aspects of the science of astronomy. 

I'm heartbroken to break the news that he died this morning. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in October, not long before his partner of 35 years, Dr Tricia Revest, also died from cancer. They were finally married very shortly before her death. I saw Alan at her funeral in Shropshire last week. He was terribly ill but as sharp as ever and as nice as ever. They really were a great couple, prodigiously erudite but always interested in listening to people from any and every walk of life. Their conversation was forthright, knowledgeable, rigorous and fun. They were also one of the most devoted couples I have ever met. I cannot imagine not having known them. 

Alan was originally a neurobiologist, the discipline in which he took his PhD and in which he taught at university for many years. In his spare time he studied mathematics, geology and astronomy, in which he also had a degree. I have a happy and instructive memory of one of his visits. I was reading Michael Lockwood's The Labyrinth of Time  and finding it hard going, three pages taking me about an hour. Alan picked it up and started to read it, turning the pages as if it were a Raymond Chandler novel. After about twenty pages he started to chuckle and I thought, Oh Gawd, there are jokes in it!!!!  He was a very clever guy. He and Tricia contributed to medical textbooks and Alan recently completed a university textbook on astrobiology. He was at one time a presenter of planetarium shows at the ROG and also taught astronomy GCSE there. You may have known him through these channels as well.

Monique and I knew Alan and Tricia as very special and valued friends. They made the world a better place. I have a plan to honour them both with a lasting memorial but that will be in due course and I'll discuss that separately another time. For now, all who know either Alan or Tricia will be missing them deeply.

Best wishes,

Olly

That is very sad news.

I used to go to the 'Stars in Your Skies' astronomy meetings at the Carding Mill Valley, in Shropshire, where he used to give talks. He was an excellent public speaker and the foremost authority in the field.

I'm very sorry for your loss Olly, my condolences to all that new him. 

I had the privilege of studying Biology under Alan at Hert's in 2000/01. He was a really great guy, down to Earth engaging and energetic making what ever aspect he was teaching fun.

I remember my very first lecture with him, his eyes lit up when he found out I was majoring in Astronomy. He came over and chatted about his astronomy plans and I think he said he was studying with the OU. His passion for astronomy was clear from the moment I met him. 

I liked him instantly and I'm very sorry to hear this news.  

42 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Very sad news.

I saw in this month's AN a notice that due to ill health that month's "Ask Alan" column would be his last, but didn't realise just how ill, or how final it would be.

My copy of the magazine seems to have gone astray this month so I had not seen this notice. Thanks.

Olly

4 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

I'm very sorry for your loss Olly, my condolences to all that new him. 

I had the privilege of studying Biology under Alan at Hert's in 2000/01. He was a really great guy, down to Earth engaging and energetic making what ever aspect he was teaching fun.

I remember my very first lecture with him, his eyes lit up when he found out I was majoring in Astronomy. He came over and chatted about his astronomy plans and I think he said he was studying with the OU. His passion for astronomy was clear from the moment I met him. 

I liked him instantly and I'm very sorry to hear this news.  

It's reassuring and life affirming to hear from others who knew him. You describe him to perfection. Thank you Chris.

Oh, I forgot another talent: he was a genius in the kitchen! His weapons grade Spaghetti Putanesca is one of my stand by dishes - but only for the brave!

Olly

I'm very sorry to hear this news and it is a shock even though I knew that Alan's time was short. I always enjoyed his excellent articles in AN and often wondered at his great knowledge and capacity to explain the, to me, unfathomable. He will be greatly missed by the astronomy community but he and Tricia's friends have now suffered a double blow and my heart goes out to them.

RIP.  Really sad to hear of Alan and Tricia's passing.  Like many here I only knew him through his Astronomy Now column.  After reading this notice, I realised I'd met Tricia, I remembered her as Pat Revest.  She used to be one of my old lecturers at university from 1997 for a few years.  Never new she was Dr Longstaff's partner.

On 24/11/2016 at 10:21, TheMightyKong said:

RIP.  Really sad to hear of Alan and Tricia's passing.  Like many here I only knew him through his Astronomy Now column.  After reading this notice, I realised I'd met Tricia, I remembered her as Pat Revest.  She used to be one of my old lecturers at university from 1997 for a few years.  Never new she was Dr Longstaff's partner.

Yes, it is quite a small world. Thanks for posting on here.

Olly

Archived