Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The other Galaxy in Andromeda, no, not that one either.

johnrt

NGC 7640!

Unfortunately for this interesting barred spiral it shares it's line of sight and constellation from earth with M31, in Andromeda. What a shame! There is virtually no information on this object out on the internet I could see, it doesn't even have it's own English Wikipedia page! The distances quoted seem to be a mixture of guesses ranging from 19-49 million ly and no mentions at all of the very interesting looking tidal curls towards the right hand limb of the galaxy. It appears that it is roundly overlooked by both professional and amateur astronomers alike.

My image is 17 hours of LRGB captured during September and early October with my 6"RC, Atik 460ex and Baader LRGB filters. Images captured in SGPro, constructed in Pixinsight and processed in Photoshop CS5.

Who with me in forming a "Friends of NGC 7640" group? :)

I hope you enjoy! :D

29502393873_1e0b12f8b2_b.jpg

Thanks chaps!

In my continuing quest to move further away from Pixinsight for any kind of processing, and for image construction only, I spent a very good hour and a bit watching this excellent tutorial from Scott Rosen, http://www.astronomersdoitinthedark.com/Bringing-Out-the-FaintStuff.php before processing this data.

While it didn't actually bring any new methods to the table for me, I was already doing very similar if not identical processing methods, it did teach me some really useful photoshop tricks, like the combine all below layer, which copies everything from each layer in to a new layer on top, meaning you can continue off processing without losing the ability to jump back several steps if needed, as all your layers are preserved below the new top combined layer. Very useful.

It's a great tutorial video, well worth a watch.

On 05/10/2016 at 14:16, johnrt said:

Who with me in forming a "Friends of NGC 7640" group?

I'll join :-)

I tried to frame it with the blue snowball and failed a couple of evenings ago, so I took a load of subs of the snowball, then by the time I had realigned to 7460 I'd been clouded out!

Now I know what I missed.

Thank you, I had a poke through the Hubble Legacy Archive this afternoon to see if they had any good images of the tidal curls, or outer spiral arms, but there was only a handful of images, and only of the core. This galaxy really has been ignored!

Great image and a intriguing galaxy.  I will go to some books of the school's time to find some data. I have consulted a very good book about This local group and this galaxy is no there.  Any news I will let uou now.

Greatly done.

Regards,

Fernando

53 minutes ago, nandopg said:

Great image and a intriguing galaxy.  I will go to some books of the school's time to find some data. I have consulted a very good book about This local group and this galaxy is no there.  Any news I will let uou now.

Greatly done.

Regards,

Fernando

Hi Fernando, thank you for investigating! Please let me know if you find out anything!

12 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Wow--did you have to shoot through part of M31?  How far removed from M31 is this target.  Amazing image.

Hi Rodd,

it's very close by to M31 and in the constellation of Andromeda, no doubt overlooked because of it's proximity in the night sky, M31 is such a huge and bright target I think it's understandable, but to find so little professional research and information is a little surprising!

Here are the respective locations for both...

M31 - RA 0h 42m 44s | Dec +41° 16′ 9″

NGC 7640 - RA 23h 22m 06s | Dec: +40° 50' 45"

John.

Unusual,  interesting, and pretty! Congratulations to you find. Where exactly is it in relation to M31? You may have created a space race on SGL and I bet someone here with a big SCT will have a go at it

22 minutes ago, gorann said:

Unusual,  interesting, and pretty! Congratulations to you find. Where exactly is it in relation to M31? You may have created a space race on SGL and I bet someone here with a big SCT will have a go at it

Thank you folks, nice bit of info there too Fernando. It would be great to see someone with an 8" or 10" OTA have a crack at this. 

Archived