Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from North Yorkshire

AndreaA

Hello,

I've been interested in astronomy for a few years now but have only recently started to try and do some observing - so I'm not fully familiar with all the wonders of the night sky as yet. I'm a member of Harrogate Astronomical Society, which unfortunately doesn't hold observing sessions at present (I'm hoping this will change if we can attract more members who are keen observers), and I also attend astronomy events when I'm able to. For instance, I attend - and thoroughly enjoy - Astrocamp in the Brecon Beacons, Wales and also often go to astronaut lectures, etc. I look forward to chatting to people on here and finding out more.

Best wishes, Andrea.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Hello Andrea and welcome to SGL Do you feel brave enough to ask your Astro group members do they want to meet up somewhere. If so you have created an observing group where you could all pool your Knowledge. Good company great topic and a worthwhile adventure. Good luck.

Hi @Sirius Starwatcher - the problem is that we are a very small group (some of whom are elderly) and most members don't have telescopes. I think they're happy to listen to speakers but are not overly interested in observing. So we don't have the necessary 'sky knowledge' (for want of a better phrase!) to hold any observing sessions. As I said, I'm hoping this will change. I'm keen to learn the sky better myself so fingers crossed.

I had heard that the Harrogate society was more of an "armchair" discussion group than an active observing group, which is a real shame as you're right on the doorstep to some very good dark sky's, especially to the North West and not too far to travel either!

I think Leeds astro society meet near Eccup reservoir at the new inn pub.. I believe they have active observing sessions, although I've not been yet.

Oooooo maybe an "out reach" session might be in order, discussion group meets observing group kind of thing.. 

I might frame myself this year an join in one of the clubs, my interest lies in observing, as opposed to speakers and the like, but would love to get better aquainted with the heavens from more experienced observers..

Yes, @Fozzie - I agree, it's a shame, especially as we do get enquiries from people who are interested in observing. I think we possibly need to link up with another society - in the short-term - to try and offer observing sessions in or near Harrogate, if that's possible. We'll see anyway. Yes, I think you're right about Leeds meeting at Eccup - I'm considering joining Leeds or York so that I can get out observing more and learn from more experienced observers too.

I bet it's only 30mins drive that time of night from top of Harrogate down to eccup...

link to Leeds web site is below..

http://www.astronomyleeds.org.uk/Activities.html

Looks like we just missed the last one on the 23rd Sept..  might pop in for the October session.. I pass this way on the way home from work.. shameful I've not called in really!

Think the York group meets to the west of York.. I'd have to "generic internet search" where though but I recall it's an old air field.. It's about an hour for me I think, might be a bit far..  Usually I head off up around thruscross and grimwith reservoir if im going "out out" if not and i'm just observing the moon I'll garden it.

Hi Andrea and welcome to the forum. Lots of information for you to access via the search button (top right on your screen) along with the help of many members here who welcome any questions that you might like to raise as you explore further into the subject.

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy your stay here.

11 hours ago, AndreaA said:

Hello,

I've been interested in astronomy for a few years now but have only recently started to try and do some observing - so I'm not fully familiar with all the wonders of the night sky as yet. I'm a member of Harrogate Astronomical Society, which unfortunately doesn't hold observing sessions at present (I'm hoping this will change if we can attract more members who are keen observers), and I also attend astronomy events when I'm able to. For instance, I attend - and thoroughly enjoy - Astrocamp in the Brecon Beacons, Wales and also often go to astronaut lectures, etc. I look forward to chatting to people on here and finding out more.

Best wishes, Andrea.

Hi Andrea, welcome from between Harrogate and Ripon.  I have an obsy and a few friends some with beginners scopes who meet up.  I write a monthly astro column for the village website too.  If you are interested in joining in with us then please feel free to send me a PM and we can exchange info.  I hope you enjoy SGL.

Archived