London newbie

Blackheathrob

Morning

I am new to all of this. Bought a Celestron Nexstar SE8 (is that any good?) and been out for a few hours at night. My question is how much the light pollution in London (Blackheath, near the Greenwich observatory) will prevent viewing of distant galaxies and nebula. I am guessing a lot. Have ordered some extra eye pieces, in the post.

With two children under two, golf clubs and scuba gear are gathering dust and my frequency of trips to the pub have taken a knock so I bought the scope to get away from banal TV and to get outside. All viewing before 11pm due to 5.30am wake up from the kids. Hoping for the planets to come around for my 8-11pm slot. Going to countryside soon in Suffolk so will take the kit for better viewing. 

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL - Sadly what I know about observing can be written on a very small pin head :D Good to have you here.... sounds like you are the master juggler in life :D

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Rob and welcome to SGL, you have a decent size scope in the 8SE and has been said, much more can be revealed from transporting your kit to darker skies.

As you advise you are new the hobby, the acquisition of additional optical and telescope bits and pieces, can often be assisted; by asking before committing to buy. There is a wealth of knowledge and information for you to tap into, by using the various sections of the forum, might just save you purchasing an item that is not at harmony with your outfit. Enjoy the forum :) 

Hello mate and Welcome to SGL.

Your scope is absolutely fine. I've seen this scope work in flesh and this has never disappointed me.

May i suggest, since you live in Blackheath, why not pop along to the Flamsteed stargazing event the next time they're out (Hopefully next week) because we observe at Blackheath every month. 

PM me and i'll fill you in with the rest of the details

Archived