Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's all so HEAVY.

5 hours ago, brantuk said:

These scopes aren't made to be carried fully assembled - when transporting around they have to be broken down into manageable sections (tripod, mount head, weights, ota, etc). But if you want a throw over to protect it from the elements when you have to dash indoors - these are hard to beat:

http://www.green-witch.com/green-witch-scope-cover-1642-p.asp

I have three of them and they've never failed me in the back yard or at star parties. But they're not made for permanent use - the Telegizmo types have additional uv protection for the daytime and are tougher all round.

Hth :)

I like the look of that.  Does it fit over the splayed legs of a tripod? I assume the telescope has to be parked in a straight up configuration. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, brantuk said:

These scopes aren't made to be carried fully assembled - when transporting around they have to be broken down into manageable sections (tripod, mount head, weights, ota, etc). But if you want a throw over to protect it from the elements when you have to dash indoors - these are hard to beat:

http://www.green-witch.com/green-witch-scope-cover-1642-p.asp

I have three of them and they've never failed me in the back yard or at star parties. But they're not made for permanent use - the Telegizmo types have additional uv protection for the daytime and are tougher all round.

Hth :)

This is what i bought a couple of weeks ago, i just whip the scope off at the end of the session and put the cover on the mount/tripod, it's perfect. I did however just buy a rather large Guardman 3 seater waterproof swing cover for about £30 to go over the top of the Green-witch cover so i can leave the mount/tripod outside permanently.

38 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

I like the look of that.  Does it fit over the splayed legs of a tripod? I assume the telescope has to be parked in a straight up configuration. 

I bought mine when i had a CG-5 and it covered the legs just fine even when extended 10" but it doesn't cover the legs fully on my new CGEM when extended 10", hence the extra cover.

The Guardman are very well made with vents and a fully covered zip, though i dont need to use the zip.

It does fit over the top of my CPC with the tube up or down - and it extends over the legs more than enough to totally cover the electronic and moving parts. All I do is bungee it down to the legs and it stays in place  even in high winds. On the eq mounts it does fit most of my scopes, and even the longer ones it will go over them if parked in an appropriate orientation. :)

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

save yourself about half the price and buy it directly from the garden chair cover manufacturer. all green witch have done is relable and charged astro prices. disgusting imho :( .

another problem is that after a couple of years, the inside lining begins to perish and it gets all over everything. I got stung and would never buy from them again

My 12" Dob OTA weighs 20kgs and the base almost the same. In the early hours I just want to cover the scope. This is mine from RotherValley - http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/geoptik-high-quality-telescope-cover-large.html

If I am using my 4" Frac I take it indoors and leave it in its case with the caps removed.

dob.g.jpg

But if I buy a large camping groundsheet from Millets, say, is that not waterproof and uv proof and it costs a tenner? I guess it's nice that it's marketed as a scope cover but does it make any difference?

57 minutes ago, Scott said:

save yourself about half the price and buy it directly from the garden chair cover manufacturer. all green witch have done is relable and charged astro prices. disgusting imho :( .

another problem is that after a couple of years, the inside lining begins to perish and it gets all over everything. I got stung and would never buy from them again

Your point is noted, though a quick scan of the Argos site suggests Green Witch are about middle of the range. Barbecue  covers might also be used. 

I side advantage I suppose :icon_biggrin: is that prospective thiefs might assume it's covering a chair.  

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Your point is noted, though a quick scan of the Argos site suggests Green Witch are about middle of the range. Barbecue  covers might also be used. 

I side advantage I suppose :icon_biggrin: is that prospective thiefs might assume it's covering a chair.  

the 2 points that irk me is 1) they double the price just for putting their label on the exact (and I mean exact) same item and 2) I HATE deciept

i am in my mid 40s and my spine has started to deteriorate, it just is breaking down. :(

do not lift the whole c8 assembly as a whole. tripod and the mount in one go are manageable (at least on evolution) for short distances. ota goes separately.

Ok. Last night was very fine in the South of England, so I was out with my scope.

Bringing it back in I split it into three pieces as many of you suggested and it worked a treat.

Thanks for your support.

Steve.

Good. Saves your back!  I don't have a bad back, but one reason is that I would have a bad back if I wasn't careful how I lift things.  Something I'm grateful for was being sent on a safety course at work on how to lift things. I think many of us thought it was all a bit of a joke ... 'elf and safety gorn mad and all that.  But it really has helped. Lift with the legs and not with the back etc etc. Plan the lift before you attack the job, consider where you're going to put it when you get there. Make sure there is a clear route. Get a buddy to help if possible (not easy in the small hours in our case).   Many years ago I did my back in lifting a not very heavy dustbin. I was in pain for week.  It's so easy to do and just not worth it for a little bit of care. 

I agree with breaking it down and bringing it in. It will dry out sooner and be safer.

It's useful to have quite a margin for error in how much you are lifting and moving to minimise the risk of an accident, which is easy to do when you're cold and tired and it's pitch black.

Hi,

i was actually told about these people on another forum,

http://www.bags4everything.co.uk/view-product/BBQ-COVER-IN-COLOURFAST-WATERPROOF-BREATHABLE-MATERIAL

they will make a cover to your own measurements, and it works out no more expensive than buying one, these can be in many colours, they are waterproof, , breathable and UV resistant, they have different variants, but I was told that being breathable was very important for a scope so as not to get any condensation under the cover, if leaving for any length of time....

:)

I may be late for that but, I am developing a positive mental attitude toward carrying the stuff which break down like this.

#1. I take a few minutes to breathe, to empty my mind of any stress and/or anxiety.

#2. I stretch my body for a few minutes, it's a good habit and targeting the following muscles: Back, knees, wrist, neck and shoulders, feets (+ it helps during the observation)

#3. I check the various things I have to carry before I do it, to be sure not to forget anything. This exercise, will prevent extra climbing the stairs for insignificant things. (Waste prevention, really effective and consuming no energy at all)

#4. I forsee the time required to carry the things slowly, then I do it slowly.

--> It's an effective method I use to forget about carrying the stuff and it works well so far.

10 hours ago, N3ptune said:

I may be late for that but, I am developing a positive mental attitude toward carrying the stuff which break down like this.

#1. I take a few minutes to breathe, to empty my mind of any stress and/or anxiety.

#2. I stretch my body for a few minutes, it's a good habit and targeting the following muscles: Back, knees, wrist, neck and shoulders, feets (+ it helps during the observation)

#3. I check the various things I have to carry before I do it, to be sure not to forget anything. This exercise, will prevent extra climbing the stairs for insignificant things. (Waste prevention, really effective and consuming no energy at all)

#4. I forsee the time required to carry the things slowly, then I do it slowly.

--> It's an effective method I use to forget about carrying the stuff and it works well so far.

Nice. Thanks for this N3ptune.  The Zen guide to moving my scope. I use point 1. regularly when trying to find that elusive DSO.  Or indeed when negotiating with my kids.

Steve.

On 25/08/2016 at 16:59, SkyBound said:

I've used this firm for covers for caravan stuff - always get the heavier duty of the two fabrics they offer and have been very pleased with their bags.  Never used them in anger to protect something like a scope, but good prices and quick delivery.

I've bought a few scope covers over the years and none of them seem to have had much thought put into the design as they are straight sided and only go half way down before jamming on the tripod legs, OK  for pier mounted though.

I had one made by a car cover company to my own design tapered to wider at the bottom so it nearly reaches the ground, not cheap but worth it considering the cost of the gear it's protecting.

Dave

@SteveBz

Noo it's not my own image of Neptune, the image came from the Voyager 2 probe! It's not possible to take a picture with sharp details like that from earth I believe. Those images came from Hubble:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/solar_system/neptune/

But I can't wait to see the small bluish disk on my own instrument some day. (:

It's great you already do point #1 for the DSO's and the Kids (:. You should try point #2 it helps so much, I can carry the bag with the 24 lbs tube from the basement to the car and feel no muscles fatigue. If my knees were not properly warmed up, when the car is full, I can feel a light tension and fatigue which is bad. Because I use an equatorial mount and I am standing to do my observation, I have to gain in endurance and it's getting better definitely.

(:

Archived