SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

It's all so HEAVY.

I went a different route.  My driveway wraps around the back of my house so it is big enough to move about and get different angles and line of sites on.

So, I put wheels under my Z10. So far just regular hard casters which give a bit of a harsh ride.  Think I'll get some pnuematic wheels next time I have a Harbor Freight coupon. 

For low angle views to the east I have to go into the grass.  Then I use a 2 wheel dolly (hand truck) to move the scope as one piece.

I store it year round in the garage.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the winter I leave my EQ6 mount on the balcony with a plastic over it as a protection against weather. The telescope is a tripple 5.2" APO, I think the weight is simular to your C8. It takes about one hour for the telescope to come in thermal equilibrium. That time I use to calibrate the pointing and do focusing in the end. Works good for me and normally I don't have to do a polaralign.

/Lars

I'm gonna have a storage cupboard built in my kitchen very close to the French doors so i can store my scopes and stuff and only have to move anything about 5ft. One thing my house (3 bedroom bungalow) lacks in, is storage space. I generally break everything down into their single parts and move one at a time.

19 hours ago, Astrofriend said:

In the winter I leave my EQ6 mount on the balcony with a plastic over it as a protection against weather. The telescope is a tripple 5.2" APO, I think the weight is simular to your C8. It takes about one hour for the telescope to come in thermal equilibrium. That time I use to calibrate the pointing and do focusing in the end. Works good for me and normally I don't have to do a polaralign.

/Lars

And there is no sign of corrosion on anything?

I guess a balcony is quite secure!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Earlier I had a big plastic cover over the mount, all the way down to the floor. Then I had big problem with condensation. Now I have more like a plastic bag over it, it's a IKEA bag upside/down. About 0.5 meter in hight an wide open downwards. No problems with condensation anymore. And then hopefully not any corrosionproblem, at least I have not seen anything yet. I live on the second floor so I hope no one will visit my balcony and take my equipments, but who knows.

Lars

I often use a blue roofer's-tarp. These are used as temporary covers for the roof of houses undergoing repairs, etc. of the roof. You sure don't want the ceilings in the house damp/wet - otherwise you'd need to repair all the ceilings in the house. These are commonly available. If in doubt, ask a roofer!

Dave

Hi,

Although my scope isn't very heavy, it's still almost impossible for me to carry (especially as I am still waiting for a hernia op!:unsure:) I just take the counterweights off, and then screw them back on again once I've pulled the rest into the garage. That cuts off a good 3-5 kg of the overall weight.

John :smiley:

On 10/27/2016 at 05:27, Astrofriend said:

Hi Steve,

Earlier I had a big plastic cover over the mount, all the way down to the floor. Then I had big problem with condensation. Now I have more like a plastic bag over it, it's a IKEA bag upside/down. About 0.5 meter in hight an wide open downwards. No problems with condensation anymore. And then hopefully not any corrosionproblem, at least I have not seen anything yet. I live on the second floor so I hope no one will visit my balcony and take my equipments, but who knows.

Lars

Well I have an Ikea bag. I might try it!

Archived