Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mapstar said:

Back from the south wales star party.

Thursday had a few views but cloud rolled in about midnight.

Friday and the rest of the mob turned up. All in four dobs 18" plus. Some fantastic viewing with the best skies I've had this year so far.

20161002_153328~2.jpg

20161002_153813.jpg 

Will be attending next year's spring event if I can 

Mapstar, Them's some serious pieces of kit there WOW!! and the missus thinks my 8inch skywatcher Dob is to big. Would love to try those beauties out.

Those big dobs look awesome Damian - so pleased you had some clear skies during your time there. Bet you can't wait until your next event!

Had a look at some of my images from my time at Kelling Heath.
This is M81 Bode's Galaxy, M82 Cigar Galaxy and NGC 3077 imaged on 30.09.2016
Canon 100D DSLR and William Optics FLT-110 on NEQ6 Pro Synscan
A total of 14 x 5 minute exposures stacked in Deep Sky Stacker with light processing in Photoshop Elements 11

M81, M82 & NGC3077.jpg

M27 The Dumbbell Nebula in Vulpecula imaged on 30.09.2016.
Not going to spend any more time on this one as I only managed a couple of 2 minute exposures before the clouds came in.
Canon 100D DSLR and William Optics FLT-110 on NEQ6 Pro Synscan.

M27 The Dumbbell Nebula.jpg

11 hours ago, noeliam said:

Mapstar, Them's some serious pieces of kit there WOW!! and the missus thinks my 8inch skywatcher Dob is to big. Would love to try those beauties out.

Cheers Noeliam,  it was great to get together and give the big glass a run out.

You'll have to come along to the South Wales star party next march when they're all together again fingers crossed. 

i fell over some big black tube in the garage yesterday whilst getting everything packed for our impending house move - and realised it was a telescope!

fancy that, I own a telescope....... just need to find the time to use the chuffin thing now.

23 hours ago, Vicky050373 said:

Those big dobs look awesome Damian - so pleased you had some clear skies during your time there. Bet you can't wait until your next event!

Had a look at some of my images from my time at Kelling Heath.
This is M81 Bode's Galaxy, M82 Cigar Galaxy and NGC 3077 imaged on 30.09.2016
Canon 100D DSLR and William Optics FLT-110 on NEQ6 Pro Synscan
A total of 14 x 5 minute exposures stacked in Deep Sky Stacker with light processing in Photoshop Elements 11

M81, M82 & NGC3077.jpg

M81 really nice detail Vicky

2 hours ago, Mark62 said:

Has the back gone again mate 

Yea, half way through monday morning at work. been back to the doctors and the nurse took one look at it and said i need urgent physio on it, muscle spasms and all, seems to be pulling my spine out, hence the blumin pain.  It was fine sunday as i was out observing, and it was fine monday morning as i went to work, then i must have twisted or something then i couldnt stand up straight, when i tried to i nearly fell on the floor lol

34 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Surprised no one is out with such a nice evening? 

It looked promising my way early evening, but it's pretty much clouded out now. Disappointed that I haven't been able to get outside. Think I might head to bed shortly and have a read of my astro magazines. Looking forward to seeing some of you at the meeting tomorrow night :)

Hi All,

Just saw a note above. Has the Aurora talk with Lee Sproats been cancelled this evening?

BTW have been reading your posts re the star parties. The pics of the large Dobs have given me a serious case of scope envy. Was hoping to get to at least one SP this autumn/winter myself.

The images posted on here look amazing and I could do with a bit of guidance if possible. 

I've been doing a lot of imaging with my unmodded DSLR recently but really struggling getting detail of nebulas like the heart and veil. I've managed to gather over 6hours of 5min exposures of the heart nebula recently but even then detail is not great. Would having my camera modified make a significant difference to the detail I'm able to capture or are there any particular filters that might help. (i'm toying with the idea of buying a cooled CCD camera but don't know if I should try and get the most out of my DSLR first)

Any help/feedback would be really appreciated. 

Thanks

Declan

On 2 October 2016 at 10:16, rockystar said:

hope you had/have some clear skies. I had a cracking night up in the forest of bowland - milky way nice and visible, a few clouds to start with, but they cleared up.

Hi @rockystar - where is the best place to observe in Forest of Bowland? Hoping to go up there this weekend weather permitting. Thanks!

Hi everyone, I have arranged an alternative speaker for tonight's meeting.

Susan Leonard LRPS is coming to give us her talk/slide show on photographing the aurora. Sue is my brother's mother-in-law, and I had originally invited her to come along to see Lee's talk as she does photography courses on cruise ship holidays. When she learned that Lee was unable to come she kindly offered to do a short talk for us which includes a slide show of images taken during a recent cruise to Iceland to photograph the aurora. Her talk lasts for approximately 45 minutes, so there will be time afterwards if anyone has anything else they would like to discuss or needs help and advice with. Hopefully see a few of you there :)

Archived