Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 2

mapstar

35 minutes ago, Matt Scunthorpe said:

Is it a meeting tonight? I thought it was a couple of weeks until the next as we recently had one. In Newcastle working today,  might not make it back in time. I'd of arranged another day if id of seen it!

That's a shame Matt. Yes, it's the winter season now so back to two meeting a month, generally speaking. Only one Thursday night meeting in October as it is the WADAS Kielder Star Party at the end of the month. Two meetings again in November on the 1st and 3rd Thursday :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Vicky050373 said:

@Dec yes, the talk by Lee Sproats is cancelled, however I have arranged for Susan Leonard to give her talk/slide show about photographing the aurora. Come along to the meeting and we'll be able to chat about your camera too :)

Thanks Vicki, that's brilliant I'll see you all there.

Declan

What a great talk from Sue last night. I'd like to send a big thank you out to Sue for stepping in at the last minute and giving us a good informative talk on how to capture the Aurora.

it was good to see everyone again and catch up in the pub after. 

Thanks a gain Sue ??

i actually saw you all going to the pub as I ran past. marathon training has taken over my life and i seem to be spending every evening running at the moment and completely forgot we had a meeting.

was tempted to pop in and say hi, but i dont think a sweaty me dressed in lycra would have been a sight fit for public consumption!

Aye I agree, good meeting and great to catch up in the pub, you should have popped in Nick. Lycra astronomy, now you might be onto something ?

Great to meet you as well Declan nice to have a fellow contryman join us! 

On 10/6/2016 at 10:57, AndreaA said:

Hi @rockystar - where is the best place to observe in Forest of Bowland? Hoping to go up there this weekend weather permitting. Thanks!

Hi Andrea, not sure what the "best" place is as i've only been twice, with the guys from the Central Lancashire Astronomical Society (they can be found on facebook), but they go to Dunsop Bridge, in a layby on the river. I'd check it out in the day time first (if possible) as it's a little bit "Cabin In The Woods" getting there and a bit tricky to find in the dark, if you don't know the area.

Glad the rest of you had a good night. I popped over to my local astro club last night; had a bit of a talk from one of the members about the formation of solar system. Then the clouds dispersed, so we went out to see the ISS pass and I spent the next 1/2 hour giving so enthusiastic beginners a naked eye tour of the sky. It was fun, and nice to be able to start giving something back.

Mark is your star adventure hard to set up? I've got myself a Canon and love the pictures you've taken in the other thread, 

On a side note I've told the mrs that if she wants kids i need to get some astro gear sorted first lol #priorities

19 minutes ago, adam_sage said:

Mark is your star adventure hard to set up? I've got myself a Canon and love the pictures you've taken in the other thread, 

On a side note I've told the mrs that if she wants kids i need to get some astro gear sorted first lol #priorities

No not really once you have it polar aligned it's easy.  You just need to make sure you have a good solid tripod 

Just now, Mark62 said:

No not really once you have it polar aligned it's easy.  You just need to make sure you have a good solid tripod 

I've been looking round are there any that you would recommend with the weight of the camera?

It's not so much to carry the weight, it's making sure it's stable enough that if you knock it you don't loose polar alignment and it's not too wobbly if there's a bit of wind 

i found that out on the day of the transit on Mercury. It was windy a used my Altair gpcam but it was really windy and I have a AVI that I cannot use cos it won't stack 

I just went back Soupy and had a look at a poor quality video i had of Saturn, which I had previously managed to produce an image from. Tried processing it in crastrator first and then using registax 6 to stack the frames. I think you can see the cassini divison a bit more in the second one, and its a bit dark but only took me 5 mins tops to do.

00_40_04_pipp.jpg

New processed image from crastrator then registax6

00_40_04_Y8castr.jpg

20 hours ago, Soupy said:

Aye I agree, good meeting and great to catch up in the pub, you should have popped in Nick. Lycra astronomy, now you might be onto something ?

Great to meet you as well Declan nice to have a fellow contryman join us! 

Cheers Soupy,

It was a good night. Enjoyed the aurora tips from Sue and the crack in the pub afterwards.

Hopefully get out stargazing with you all soon.

Cheers

Dec

Well, whilst you lot have been doing your usual saturday afternoon things, shopping etc ive been sat here with my sore back processing my images and i think after 400, 600 second images ive managed to capture the veil nebula. im please with the results as i only used a pirates telescope :)

I think ive done well with the focus :)   Gain, i think i might enter this for the photo competition please if thats ok with you

viel nebula.jpg

Positive feedback only please :) 

Archived