Hello from Herefordshire

DeeBee

Just joined up. Newbie to stargazing. So many questions (like how on earth to set up and align my EQ mount)! Hoping SGL will help. Anyone local willing to spare some time to help would be extremely welcome?

To be honest, I rarely use my second choice mount in Equatorial mode. A pain to always have to adjust the telescope tube around to get the finder scope & eyepiece back in a comfortable position to view from, so I just use it in Alt Az mode mostly. For most thing I want to view I find this just as good for visual viewing at least. ;) 

Thanks Cornelius.  I watched the video, but it doesn't look anything like mine - Exos 2 Go-To mount.  Mine has polar viewfinder with date and time scale rings etc. The manual says to calibrate by aligning to a telegraph pole (!) but the polarscope is pointing up into the sky (in "home" position) so no poles likely to be in view! V confusing! Do I change the latitude setting so I can point at something useful and then reset it afterwards?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and good advice. Thanks Mark at Beaufort - I am planning on getting to the HAS meeting on 1st September. Maybe see you there?

Archived