NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

This summer has been my least astronomically active one ever, for various reasons as well as (of course) our weather.. 

But I did start a tidy up of my stuff this week, and as part of that I took out of storage my son in law's Skywatcher Evostar 120mm F8 achromat (it has been largely unused in the past 10 years since we bought it for him, and ended up in storage when they had no room to store it in their cottage in Devon..😭🤦‍♂️).

Anyway, I mounted it on my Tak mount so I could check it out.

It's a nice looking scope, very light and the focuser, while not the best, is quite smooth. The 6x30mm RACI finder is excellent (I also have one on my vintage Vixen 80mm F15).

Last night as I took the air before bed, it was such a warm calm night that I couldn't resist popping the Evostar outside, especially seeing the Moon and Jupiter so close to each other.

I have to say that the images of the moon were lovely using the Pentax XL zoom giving powers from 40x to 120x. Crisp, sharp images with a touch of violet CA at the limb.

On Jupiter the view was also very nice, the CA was a bit more obvious, and I'd probably use a filter of some kind if I was using the scope regularly. But the 4 moons were nice tiny disks and several belts were clearly visible on the main planet.

Literally a quick 10-15 minutes peek, but when you think you can pick up one of these almost 5" refractor OTAs used, for c £150, they are remarkably affordable.

Dave

20230831_202357.thumb.jpg.31630d3b22ad6918d88acc027ecd3182.jpg

20230905_115714.jpg

20230905_115737.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Photos added
  • Like 17

I don't think I've posted these together, however slight twist in that the C11 and LZOS 105 are perfectly balanced in the Y axis. 
Both of them just float when manually moved in any direction and stay there without any clutch applied.
Makes viewing Jupiter and Saturn very enjoyable, especially controlling the mount from a joystick without any vibration.

image.thumb.jpeg.48323bfdc9e4c7cd8d419618c37e8f49.jpeg

Balanced in Y axis

IMG_7721.thumb.jpeg.18e41ff58a8876dabae73e6b0ca7cc03.jpeg

Y balance adapter

IMG_7724.thumb.jpeg.3f211b3e48ae3796231741802a79eb69.jpeg

• Like 16

Was out Sept 5 . Nexstar 8SE with dew shield is pointed almost due east, looking at Jupiter rising over mountains. Block on the stool raises seat height to comfortable level for looking this low.20230903_001118.thumb.jpg.18bd6b99e8778c23268fe61097dbc955.jpg

• Like 11

On 10/09/2023 at 00:22, Deadlake said:

I don't think I've posted these together, however slight twist in that the C11 and LZOS 105 are perfectly balanced in the Y axis. 
Both of them just float when manually moved in any direction and stay there without any clutch applied.
Makes viewing Jupiter and Saturn very enjoyable, especially controlling the mount from a joystick without any vibration.

image.thumb.jpeg.48323bfdc9e4c7cd8d419618c37e8f49.jpeg

Balanced in Y axis

IMG_7721.thumb.jpeg.18e41ff58a8876dabae73e6b0ca7cc03.jpeg

Y balance adapter

IMG_7724.thumb.jpeg.3f211b3e48ae3796231741802a79eb69.jpeg

Looks good. Where does the Y axis adjuster come from?

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Looks good. Where does the Y axis adjuster come from?

It's a Rowan add on.

Not available on Flo, I suspect there is a back log for it.

Make sure to get the knob set as makes adjustment very simple, I have the counter weight but not used it yet.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Deadlake said:

It's a Rowan add on.

Not available on Flo, I suspect there is a back log for it.

Make sure to get the knob set as makes adjustment very simple, I have the counter weight but not used it yet.

Couldn’t see it on the Rowan site either, will check with them.

You’re not the only one @bosun21 … I also have my Starfield aimed up at Saturn!

First ever attempt at planetary imaging, using a new 585mc, EAF and a 2x Barlow. Mostly I’ve been learning the ropes…it’s been a “fun night” learning to focus, find targets, etc. All during cloud cover before it finally have way, and now Saturn sits high above a streetlight which is lighting up the shed… 

Might aim it at Jupiter if it comes into view, otherwise I’m tempted to take a look at comet 103/P Hartley. 

By taking this picture, I also noticed a cable issue after the meridian flip so will be untangling them shortly!!!

IMG_8368.thumb.jpeg.a65720ca928986c26bdb74563f5a6358.jpeg

Edited by WolfieGlos
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

You’re not the only one @bosun21 … I also have my Starfield aimed up at Saturn!

First ever attempt at planetary imaging, using a new 585mc, EAF and a 2x Barlow. Mostly I’ve been learning the ropes…it’s been a “fun night” learning to focus, find targets, etc. All during cloud cover before it finally have way, and now Saturn sits high above a streetlight which is lighting up the shed… 

Might aim it at Jupiter if it comes into view, otherwise I’m tempted to take a look at comet 103/P Hartley. 

By taking this picture, I also noticed a cable issue after the meridian flip so will be untangling them shortly!!!

IMG_8368.thumb.jpeg.a65720ca928986c26bdb74563f5a6358.jpeg

I see you now have your EAF working. What was the problem? Software related I presume. I actually place my dew heater band level with the doublet lenses which is actually on the bottom of the dew shield. I see you place it where the tube meets the dew shield. As long as they work eh?. Cable management can be a nightmare at times can’t it. AP turned out not to be for me . I’m thinking of doing some EAA again though and maybe a little planetary photography. Oh no! Here comes more spending 😂.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Out tonight with the Starfield to catch my first Jupiter of the season. Saturn as well obviously. The seeing and transparency was very good.I’ll write a report up tomorrow. 

54F41629-599E-405E-9D9B-2E9622BC516B.thumb.jpeg.b03b077e1bfe652da69cb00f8f0d52d1.jpeg

Tracking Saturn through the sky 

91F2F945-01F3-402E-8B7E-649D694548E6.thumb.jpeg.3414e3c85449f113cb5962f4e7b0ed4b.jpeg

Interested to know what time you were out and if you managed to spot Enceladus (my current obsession) with the Starfield at all? It was out on its own on the opposite side of Saturn from the rest of the moons, furthest out at about 2000 BST. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Interested to know what time you were out and if you managed to spot Enceladus (my current obsession) with the Starfield at all? It was out on its own on the opposite side of Saturn from the rest of the moons, furthest out at about 2000 BST. 

To be honest I wasn’t thinking about Enceladus but I am now that’s for sure. I was amazed at the detail and clarity and the magnification that Saturn could soak up last night. The rings despite their shallow angle were as crisp and clear as I’d ever seen them. The bands on the planet itself were sharply defined from each other. I could see all the usual suspects pin sharp. Titan, Tethys, Rhea. I was flitting between Saturn and Jupiter so recalling the moon positions is difficult to remember. I really should do a bit of sketching. The next time I’m out I will use my 12” dobsonian and go on the hunt for Enceladus itself. Challenge accepted. I just had a look at Saturns moons at the time I was observing.

1C2D0A02-DD68-4BA6-9AC7-78D1A5EE63A6.jpeg.dcb6683855b24e47b2d7aabad190b23b.jpeg

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

I see you now have your EAF working. What was the problem? Software related I presume. I actually place my dew heater band level with the doublet lenses which is actually on the bottom of the dew shield. I see you place it where the tube meets the dew shield. As long as they work eh?. Cable management can be a nightmare at times can’t it. AP turned out not to be for me . I’m thinking of doing some EAA again though and maybe a little planetary photography. Oh no! Here comes more spending 😂.

No actually, it was a faulty motor! FLO arranged for collection last Thursday, it was back with them Friday lunchtime…new one despatched that day, arrived last Saturday morning! Incredible service as always. As soon as I connected it and told it to move, the sound of the motor was undeniable, and didn’t happen previously, so that was it. 

I haven’t had any issues with dew yet, but you’re right the lenses are a little further up the dewshield. I’ll keep an eye on that in the coming months. I’ve never had any issues yet with cable management to date but with the EAF and the stiff usb3 cable for the 585, this first session has shown it might be now! 

Ah, the money pit! I bought these to try planetary, and the 585 for DSO too, and will then get a more suitable scope in time if I want to take up planetary a bit more. Then probably another mount for it and anything else…. Argh! Money money money! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

To be honest I wasn’t thinking about Enceladus but I am now that’s for sure. I was amazed at the detail and clarity and the magnification that Saturn could soak up last night. The rings despite their shallow angle were as crisp and clear as I’d ever seen them. The bands on the planet itself were sharply defined from each other. I could see all the usual suspects pin sharp. Titan, Tethys, Rhea. I was flitting between Saturn and Jupiter so recalling the moon positions is difficult to remember. I really should do a bit of sketching. The next time I’m out I will use my 12” dobsonian and go on the hunt for Enceladus itself. Challenge accepted. I just had a look at Saturns moons at the time I was observing.

1C2D0A02-DD68-4BA6-9AC7-78D1A5EE63A6.jpeg.dcb6683855b24e47b2d7aabad190b23b.jpeg

Cheers, yes I think it's a fun challenge! From what I have researched, Enceladus would definitely need to at its 'visual apsis' , if such a term is correct, in order not to be lost in the glare of the planet itself. Obviously planetarium software can help here but @John also reminded me about the webapp linked below which is very useful as it is purely focused on Saturn and its moons. Good luck, feel free to add your findings to this thread if you like! 

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/saturn_moons/saturn.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, badhex said:

Cheers, yes I think it's a fun challenge! From what I have researched, Enceladus would definitely need to at its 'visual apsis' , if such a term is correct, in order not to be lost in the glare of the planet itself. Obviously planetarium software can help here but @John also reminded me about the webapp linked below which is very useful as it is purely focused on Saturn and its moons. Good luck, feel free to add your findings to this thread if you like! 

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/saturn_moons/saturn.html

I use the iPhone app “Gas Giants “ which gives you the moons positions for Jupiter, Saturn etc. It’s also got a slider to input your observing time. I haven’t checked if it’s available on Android yet as I actually run both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I use the iPhone app “Gas Giants “ which gives you the moons positions for Jupiter, Saturn etc. It’s also got a slider to input your observing time. I haven’t checked if it’s available on Android yet as I actually run both.

Sadly not it seems, just had a quick look. Looks very useful! 

• Sad 1